Edinburgh City

The reason I was asking about the contracts is that I remember reading - some years after the fact - that when Ferranti Thistle were in the process of changing their name, they found it hard to sign players because the name of the club was left blank on the contracts so it could be filled in later, which made some people reluctant to sign. Which may be understandable. Of course a blank space isn't the same thing as a change of name. And the whole thing may be bullshit anyway.

37 minutes ago, GordonD said:

The reason I was asking about the contracts is that I remember reading - some years after the fact - that when Ferranti Thistle were in the process of changing their name, they found it hard to sign players because the name of the club was left blank on the contracts so it could be filled in later, which made some people reluctant to sign. Which may be understandable. Of course a blank space isn't the same thing as a change of name. And the whole thing may be bullshit anyway.

Not really surprising that the players wouldn't sign - committing themselves to work for an entity that wasn't defined.  Would be difficult to claim that a contract had been properly concluded in such case, when a clearly "material" element was undefined.

On 16/06/2022 at 19:46, tamthebam said:

The Social Club do have a Sunday League team 

Anyway this is a step too far for this supporter of 27 years. It smacks of the whole moving Meadowbank to Livingston thing and I look forward to watching Gary Jardine, Lairdy and Conrad at Civil Service Strollers next season.

Hmmmm you  just never know whats round the corner eh :whistle

Screenshot_20220619-014836_Chrome~2.jpg

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Hmmmm you  just never know whats round the corner eh :whistle

Screenshot_20220619-014836_Chrome~2.jpg

Aye, true 

I mean "Welfare" is such an old fashioned name, probably copyright to the Miner's Welfare Club and no-one knows where Whitehill is.

I propose changing your name to something more suitable.

Rosewell Rockets perhaps.....!

40 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Aye, true 

I mean "Welfare" is such an old fashioned name, probably copyright to the Miner's Welfare Club and no-one knows where Whitehill is.

Whitehill Foodbank

On 17/06/2022 at 15:44, welshbairn said:

Bit embarrassing them still holding on to the 1928 thing, not that they had any connection to the original Edinburgh City anyway.

c56t5ftf01691.png?auto=webp&s=4b979af316

I really don't get this either. 1928 is the formation of Edinburgh City Football Club who, as of now, cease to exist as a football club. FC Edinburgh are originally Postal United, formed in 1966. Why relinquish all association with Edinburgh City but still display the year they were formed on your badge?

Chairman said there's a contingency plan to host games at an alternative venue if Meadowbank isn't suitable. Any word on where? I'm assuming Ainslie Park isn't suitable as I'm sure I read there's still 3 teams playing there from next year?

Also, is there any statement expected from the social club regarding all this? Wonder what the future holds for Edinburgh City FC. There is of course a slight chance that FC Edinburgh go back to that. If not though, would they look to re-launch a club in the EoS? Could have our very own Steaua Bucharest/FCSB situation.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Aye, true 

Whitehill was the colliery and the  brickworks in the village and you're right the Welfare was the miners Welfare club. 👍

Anyways FC Edinburgh wtf !

Edited by newcastle broon

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

I really don't get this either. 1928 is the formation of Edinburgh City Football Club who, as of now, cease to exist as a football club. FC Edinburgh are originally Postal United, formed in 1966. Why relinquish all association with Edinburgh City but still display the year they were formed on your badge?

Postal date back longer than 1966 can’t remember the exact date off hand.

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

Chairman said there's a contingency plan to host games at an alternative venue if Meadowbank isn't suitable. Any word on where? I'm assuming Ainslie Park isn't suitable as I'm sure I read there's still 3 teams playing there from next year?

Also, is there any statement expected from the social club regarding all this? Wonder what the future holds for Edinburgh City FC. There is of course a slight chance that FC Edinburgh go back to that. If not though, would they look to re-launch a club in the EoS? Could have our very own Steaua Bucharest/FCSB situation.

Imagine the social club will carry on as normal why would they change anything?

Contingency plan: There is a Scottish League club that occasionally hire out their artificial pitch near Edinburgh. Broxburn Ath played there a couple of seasons ago for some games. 

Deja vu for this malcontent

Change the name: tick

Move the club to Livingston.....

blobby.jpg.ed095ce99315e455c70eea0b61f96d63.jpg

On 17/06/2022 at 11:13, Adamski said:

I feel sorry for the fans.

FC Edinburgh sounds like something that Hearts or Hibs get called in computer games that aren't allowed to use the clubs' real names. The sort of imagination that has lead to Open Goal Broomhill, Caledonian Braves, Glasgow Utd, etc.

If changing names was necessary surely there were better options in a city with such a rich history.

Greyfriars Boobies?

On 17/06/2022 at 15:44, welshbairn said:

Bit embarrassing them still holding on to the 1928 thing, not that they had any connection to the original Edinburgh City anyway.

c56t5ftf01691.png?auto=webp&s=4b979af316

Please tell me this is a spoof. That's more like a doll's house or the wee Western army fort I had as a sprog.

8 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Mark Docherty signs for City!  Sorry FCE!

Anyway 34 years old and I see Clyde fans don't rate him! At first glance, Looks a poor signing ?

Good experienced player.  I wouldn't worry about the Clyde fans comments Tenkay.  Welcome to Edinburgh Mark.

Docherty is nowhere near as bad as some are saying. When he got himself fit after initial shaky spell he was actually one of our most consistent players. Some fans seem to have a downer on him as he was signed along with a raft of poor players which I think tarred him with that brush.