Edinburgh City

7 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

A great achievement by the players. Well done lads. Commiserations to Stenny. Two bald men fighting over a comb throughout March but we came good at the end. Nothing to lose now so let's go for it against Dumbarton. 

Are we at home Midweek next week, then away on the Saturday?

2026644822_finishingline.jpg.8757dca743c20842e72fac9e4d74f906.jpg

Above: The play-off candidates from L2: City, Annan, Forfar.... 

A funny old season. Getting rid of half the team at the start and mostly not replacing them with equals or betters. Having the worst injury list in City's history. Stealing points at Stair Park. Twice. Making Albion Rovers look like Real Madrid on more than one occasion. Getting that big away tie in the Scottish Cup that I've been waiting years for. A team made up of 5 U-20s getting an important win at Cowdenbeath. A fine 2-2 fightback at Kelty. A City manager getting sacked for the first time since I've been supporting them. Making a great find in Brian Schwake. 

Maybe it's an unpopular opinion but given the injury list we suffered I'll give Gary Naysmith some credit for putting a team out every week, having us avoid the bad play-offs and keeping us at least in touching distance of the play-offs. 

And now the season is extended and we have one more game at the wonderful Ainslie Park. Two bridies for me, ta.  

Bizarre stuf really, if it wasn't for the goalie we'd have been second bottom but here we are in the playoffs with a team that looks to be relatively settled and in decent form.

Some laugh if we somehow fluke our way up.

56 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

And now the season is extended and we have one more game at the wonderful Ainslie Park. Two bridies for me, ta.  

Even better Tam is that if we get through against Dumbarton then we get a second game at the Stadio Del Ainslie !!

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Shut up and get that lazy programme editor at Central Park to print more programmes. I missed out on one last week! :lol:

Bear in mind that not many folk in Cowdenbeath can read so they probably only produced a dozen or so.

On 14/04/2022 at 01:39, Mr Blobby said:

One of the problems with the old 7,500 seater stand at Meadowbank Stadium on matchdays, where most games were played on a Saturday afternoon, was that it was built facing North. The supporters never got any sunshine on their faces. Now there is news of an additional 1441 capacity stand on the opposite side of the ground facing in a southerly direction. This should make for a better matchday experience all-round, for the supporters.

Reveal hidden contents

As for Tam-The-Bam's contribution: ""Welcome to Meadowbank Stadium. It's got some nice orange seats... Note to programme ed: I'm copyrighting this, you b*****d!", I'll have wait and see if Tam wants to be paid for his original copyrighted material. I did give him a free Mr Blobby watch once in lieu of his future contributions to the Edinburgh City Fanzine "Go Tell The Spartans" but I neglected to mention this to him at the time during the presentation ceremony in Berwick-Upon-Tweed. That's what it was for Tam!😝

The problem was there was never a big enough crowd to generate any atmosphere for 90% of MTFC's existence. I remember a dire 0-0 between Meadowbank and Montrose in the autumn of the 91-92 season; genuinely one of the worst games I've seen in my thirty years watching football. Attendance: 188. The ten or so Montrose fans in the travelling support tried to get a chant going but it was like shouting at an old beetroot stain in an abandoned fridge.

That day, Meadowbank's team of exotic perms and tatty 'taches played the offside trap endlessly. I think Terry Christie cloned Wattie Boyd in the lab at his High School; it seemed to be a rule that you had to have a tache and a perm to play for Meadowbank at that time, with only wee Stevie Logan having a note from his mum.

The last time I was at old Meadowbank was in the 2009/10 season when Steven Tweed's squad of bottom of the league YTS boys won 3-1. There were over 1,000 there and with a crowd that size the atmosphere was not too bad, even setting up a lively confrontation between our supporters' bus and some E-number fuelled wee boys who'd spent too much time watching Green Street, after the full time whistle.

I hope ECFC get a proper stand in "new" Meadowbank which sounds very depressing. All the best for the play-offs.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

On 14/04/2022 at 01:39, Mr Blobby said:

That is a very good question Robert. You have a valuable and historical document on your hands. Mr Blacklaw went on to finish his final paragraph by saying: "We are hoping that very soon we shall have a football club to match it. Will you help us?"

I did write a draft copy for the City Fanzine for Edinburgh City's return to Meadowbank, comparing the Old and the New, with pictures to match. I was just waiting for the drone images to come in. (Permission to fly is still not granted but pending further enquiries to the City of Edinburgh Council).

One of the problems with the old 7,500 seater stand at Meadowbank Stadium on matchdays, where most games were played on a Saturday afternoon, was that it was built facing North. The supporters never got any sunshine on their faces. Now there is news of an additional 1441 capacity stand on the opposite side of the ground facing in a southerly direction. This should make for a better matchday experience all-round, for the supporters.

As for the "message when the new stadium opens", I guess you'll have to wait for the re-writing of the draft copy to see it in print, now that things are progressing along in a positive manner. No doubt your contribution will be added to the fold Robert, with your permission, and with due credit attached. Cheers! Hope that answers your question?

Reveal hidden contents

As for Tam-The-Bam's contribution: ""Welcome to Meadowbank Stadium. It's got some nice orange seats... Note to programme ed: I'm copyrighting this, you b*****d!", I'll have wait and see if Tam wants to be paid for his original copyrighted material. I did give him a free Mr Blobby watch once in lieu of his future contributions to the Edinburgh City Fanzine "Go Tell The Spartans" but I neglected to mention this to him at the time during the presentation ceremony in Berwick-Upon-Tweed. That's what it was for Tam!😝

Meadowbank Thistle v Alloa - Souvenir Issue Wednesday September 1 -1974.png

Meadowbank Chairman didn't know Ferranti/Meadowbank were already in a senior league shock...

On 25/04/2022 at 14:59, Ivo den Bieman said:

I hope ECFC get a proper stand in "new" Meadowbank which sounds very depressing. All the best for the play-offs.

Cheers. And thanks for the memories. You're right enough in what you were saying.😀

34 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

As far as I was aware they'd chucked live streaming a while ago. Just went to check their website out and that's a fall from grace.

Remember when Edinburgh City were quite slick and minimalist?

Yep. Sorry about that. We did indeed chuck the live streaming a while back. The Edinburgh City website is a bit of a shocker it has to be said. The 'under construction' notice has been up on the home page for some time and Gary Naysmith is still featured as our manager. The club are making noises that the advance tickets on Fanbase are selling like hot cakes, so expect to see a crowd of ooooh 400 or so there tomorrow.

All part of a cunning plan by the Board to make us appear clueless and there just to make up the Play-Off numbers; meanwhile in the background Alan Maybury is ready to unleash Project Zeus and take us up to the promised land of League One !!

1 minute ago, RubyTuesday said:

Yep. Sorry about that. We did indeed chuck the live streaming a while back. The Edinburgh City website is a bit of a shocker it has to be said. The 'under construction' notice has been up on the home page for some time and Gary Naysmith is still featured as our manager. The club are making noises that the advance tickets on Fanbase are selling like hot cakes, so expect to see a crowd of ooooh 400 or so there tomorrow.

All part of a cunning plan by the Board to make us appear clueless and there just to make up the Play-Off numbers; meanwhile in the background Alan Maybury is ready to unleash Project Zeus and take us up to the promised land of League One !!

You and Dumbarton are the only teams I want to win the League 1 playoffs anyway. Too much travel to Forfar and Annan so best of luck!

On 01/05/2022 at 17:32, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Will you be offering a streaming service for Tuesday night and if so how do you access it? The live stream link on your website just takes you to this completely random website…

35B2FE32-B39B-4DD2-9B5D-5DEAB7E82746.jpeg.0ba88ef7b8af932942654979a0ab315b.jpeg

I'll undercut them with my quality rendering of a photo:

1690089826_stickman.png.eefeb281bf4d6df0e79029247603fb17.png