Edinburgh City

9 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Ffs City.

That about sums it up really. I find it hard to believe that City are planning on making this signing.

City do not compete with Hibs or Hearts they are an alternative. They will attract a more studenty crowd, probably more left leaning on the whole, people who don't want all the crap that goes with top league football, and yes a few oddballs, every lower league club has their fair share! All of this was true of Meadowbank and having supported both Thistle and City I can see the similarities in the make up of the crowds. Yes it's 20 years on but the feel is similar, essentially that's what you get when you are a third team in a decent sized city, you get a different kind of supporter. 

Some would say it is easier these days with social media, but let's face it in 21 years Meadowbank Thistle never went out of their way to attract a crowd or have any community links, and ultimately it left them susceptible to the demise that befell them, franchised out of existence. Credit to City they have started fantastically well on this front, the Lowland League following has probably trebled and we attract loads of neutrals each week. The club have been innovative with their reduced entry scheme for Hibs / Hearts season ticket holders has been a success and generally I think we are seen as a great additional SPFL offering in Edinburgh by the less tribal folks at Easter Rd and Tynecastle.

City have one big advantage over Thistle in that they have an established youth set up, with many players progressing through the ranks to play for the senior team. We have community links and you can see those running the club trying to further those links through charity partnerships with the likes of Bernardos. All great stuff, all the right things to do. We should be viewed at this stage of our development as let's face it a cuddly, non-threatening alternative to Hearts and Hibs that's how we grow, that's how we get bigger. 

That's why I find this touted signing completely insane. I only know the facts as to what he has been convicted of, I don't know him as the person he is now, but to be honest I don't need to know. What I do know is that City will set themselves back, losing hard earned support and limiting the supporter growth and do damage to their image and reputation at the very least in the short term, but probably long term too. You immediately lose your 'cuddly' status and with it so much goodwill.

It has already been alluded to earlier in this thread but imagine the atmosphere at our games next season, elements of the away support I'm pretty sure will be very vocal on the matter. I'm sure the player has become quite thick skinned god knows the abuse he has taken at junior grounds, but do we want that at our games? Is that the kind of atmosphere that will attract bigger crowds, more families? Don't think this will be a short term thing that will blow over after a few games. You change the whole atmosphere at games as long as he is a signed player. 

There are financial implications too, I'm not sure how the existing sponsors will feel, but one thing for sure is that it will have a detrimental impact on future opportunities. How does it fit with the community feel of the club, how do the youth teams view this proposed signing, indeed wtf do Barnardos think? 

Why risk so much all for a bit of supposed 'quality' on the football pitch. If he was that good, some rancid team further up the leagues would have snapped him up by now, so I don't buy it. Maybe, just maybe, he is that good, but then ask yourself why no-one else has signed him, what does that make your club? I'm all for being different, in fact it's essential for City, just not this kind of different. Rant over.

That about sums it up really. I find it hard to believe that City are planning on making this signing.
City do not compete with Hibs or Hearts they are an alternative. They will attract a more studenty crowd, probably more left leaning on the whole, people who don't want all the crap that goes with top league football, and yes a few oddballs, every lower league club has their fair share! All of this was true of Meadowbank and having supported both Thistle and City I can see the similarities in the make up of the crowds. Yes it's 20 years on but the feel is similar, essentially that's what you get when you are a third team in a decent sized city, you get a different kind of supporter. 
Some would say it is easier these days with social media, but let's face it in 21 years Meadowbank Thistle never went out of their way to attract a crowd or have any community links, and ultimately it left them susceptible to the demise that befell them, franchised out of existence. Credit to City they have started fantastically well on this front, the Lowland League following has probably trebled and we attract loads of neutrals each week. The club have been innovative with their reduced entry scheme for Hibs / Hearts season ticket holders has been a success and generally I think we are seen as a great additional SPFL offering in Edinburgh by the less tribal folks at Easter Rd and Tynecastle.
City have one big advantage over Thistle in that they have an established youth set up, with many players progressing through the ranks to play for the senior team. We have community links and you can see those running the club trying to further those links through charity partnerships with the likes of Bernardos. All great stuff, all the right things to do. We should be viewed at this stage of our development as let's face it a cuddly, non-threatening alternative to Hearts and Hibs that's how we grow, that's how we get bigger. 
That's why I find this touted signing completely insane. I only know the facts as to what he has been convicted of, I don't know him as the person he is now, but to be honest I don't need to know. What I do know is that City will set themselves back, losing hard earned support and limiting the supporter growth and do damage to their image and reputation at the very least in the short term, but probably long term too. You immediately lose your 'cuddly' status and with it so much goodwill.
It has already been alluded to earlier in this thread but imagine the atmosphere at our games next season, elements of the away support I'm pretty sure will be very vocal on the matter. I'm sure the player has become quite thick skinned god knows the abuse he has taken at junior grounds, but do we want that at our games? Is that the kind of atmosphere that will attract bigger crowds, more families? Don't think this will be a short term thing that will blow over after a few games. You change the whole atmosphere at games as long as he is a signed player. 
There are financial implications too, I'm not sure how the existing sponsors will feel, but one thing for sure is that it will have a detrimental impact on future opportunities. How does it fit with the community feel of the club, how do the youth teams view this proposed signing, indeed wtf do Barnardos think? 
Why risk so much all for a bit of supposed 'quality' on the football pitch. If he was that good, some rancid team further up the leagues would have snapped him up by now, so I don't buy it. Maybe, just maybe, he is that good, but then ask yourself why no-one else has signed him, what does that make your club? I'm all for being different, in fact it's essential for City, just not this kind of different. Rant over.

Hope someone at the club reads that (to the first team coach on here pretending to be a fan, fancy passing it on?)

It seems as if quite a few contracts end on the 30th of this month so I'd imagine the club are waiting until then to announce some new signings (including Craig Thomson)

Devon Jacobs will be one of them I think. Was a regular at right back for Berwick a few seasons back. Very steady player and could definitely still do a job in league 2.

Devon Jacobs will be one of them I think. Was a regular at right back for Berwick a few seasons back. Very steady player and could definitely still do a job in league 2.

Not going to allow myself to believe this means the club have given up on signing Craig Thomson........

It's the hope that kills you (and apparently he plays further up the pitch now)

On 22/06/2017 at 22:26, 1320Lichtie said:

Where did I say he wasn't good at football?

Fwiw i hardly think he'll make that much of a difference to City, obviously probably one of the best options you guys could get for that area of the park but he's a right back who's been junior for 6 year. It's not even like it's the same as Goodwillie who should really bang in plenty for Clyde.

Read what he did and I don't know why you'd want someone like that at your football club.

If he was any good why haven't other clubs tried to sign him, simple, he is a wrong un, groomed kids and not a club will touch him because of the bad publicity that would coming with signing a known paedo, City would be mad to have anything to do with him, and how would it go down with the City players, not very well would be my guess, I doubt many of the players would be keen to have him in the team. 

On 24/06/2017 at 22:57, CitizenSmith said:

Well said my man, or lady.  :thumsup2

On 26/06/2017 at 11:26, AllyMonc said:

It seems as if quite a few contracts end on the 30th of this month so I'd imagine the club are waiting until then to announce some new signings (including Craig Thomson)

This 30th of the month nonsense is a load of crap, if his contract is at a end he can sign for anyone now.  

55 minutes ago, ecfcnorthfield said:

Not that I know of. He's under contract still until next year from what I've read(might be fact might not be) 

He certainly isn't any of the ones on the grapevine that have rumoured to have left 

Had heard he has left the club.