Edinburgh City

44 minutes ago, Applepar said:

Was thinking about attending an Edinburgh City game soon. Any recommendations for pubs close to Ainslie park?
Thanks.

There's the Village Hotel nearby- expensive.

There's the Anchor Inn in West Granton Road but I believe that's for people who like contact sports, as the old euphemism has it.

The Queensberry Bowling Club might be open before the game, it's ok.

There is a supporters' bar open at the ground if it hasn't been booked for hospitality.

There are some nice pubs in Stockbridge, which is about 15-20 minutes walk away. The Stockbridge Tap does fine real ales but is occasionally full of rugby bores.

Also Clark's Bar in Dundas Street - you can get a 27 bus to the Morrisons close to the ground. 

Stockbridge Tap is excellent but all the roads in Stockbridge have been ripped up and there are no buses to Crewe Toll.  Scotland v England rugby is on Saturday, although it doesn't start until quarter to five, so lunchtime should be ok.  The Urban Lounge at the Village Hotel is expensive, but not noticeably more than Central Edinburgh prices.

And there is hospitality on Saturday, so the supporters' bar won't be open.

4 hours ago, Applepar said:

Was thinking about attending an Edinburgh City game soon. Any recommendations for pubs close to Ainslie park?
Thanks.

We're quite nomadic when it comes to pre match pints due to Ainslie Parks location. We used to use the social club then get a taxi, lately we've been meeting in Town for a couple then heading down or the bowling club. I second what the guys above have said. If you want to avoid the rugger crowd I fully suggest Queensberry Bowling club if its open, tucked away and only 10 minutes max walk from the ground. We've used that a few times now. The 8 bus takes you right outside it if you pick it up on Broughton Street next to York Place. Queensberry is reasonably priced with a pool table also. If your ever heading to a game let me know and I'm sure you will be welcomed and introduced. 

4 hours ago, scrooge1928 said:

Also Clark's Bar in Dundas Street - you can get a 27 bus to the Morrisons close to the ground. 

Just to add to Scrooge's post, Clarks Bar has a small display to St Bernards FC in the back if you're interested in football history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

panic button pushed then.. what's a City fan to do of a Saturday? There's always rugb... naw, I've got a garden to do. Or my mate's garden if he fancies it... 

Or you could paint the kitchen and watch it dry.

• 2 weeks later...

THAT PERFECTLY DESCRIBES RUGBY YAWNION .UNABLE 2 SEE THE BALL FOR LARGE PERIODS OF THE MATCH . ONLY TIME U CAN SEE THE BALL FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE OF MINUTES IS WHEN THEY START KICKING THE BALL UP IN THE AIR TO EACH OTHER FOR 5/6 MINS UNTIL SOMEONE ACCIDENTALLY DROPS IT OR PUTS IT INTO TOUCH !:oops 

1 hour ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

THAT PERFECTLY DESCRIBES RUGBY YAWNION .UNABLE 2 SEE THE BALL FOR LARGE PERIODS OF THE MATCH . ONLY TIME U CAN SEE THE BALL FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE OF MINUTES IS WHEN THEY START KICKING THE BALL UP IN THE AIR TO EACH OTHER FOR 5/6 MINS UNTIL SOMEONE ACCIDENTALLY DROPS IT OR PUTS IT INTO TOUCH !:oops 

Sounds like watching Scottish football that...

On 13/03/2020 at 12:28, GordonD said:

Or you could paint the kitchen and watch it dry.

What's the best colour to watch dry? Eggshell could be interesting but I painted the fence black the other year and that had promise.

33 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

I was wondering when you're expected to return to the Meadowbank Stadium? Do you have a link to the plans of the new stadium?

When unicorns roam the slopes of Arthur's Seat and Edinburgh cyclists start obeying road traffic laws, that's when 

Just now, The Reverend said:

Sorry, it was a genuine enquiry. I thought it was a done deal?!

Not as far as I know unless the SPFL are prepared to sanction League football at a stadium with one turnstile, a 500 seat stand with 4 rows of seats and an 8 lane track between you and the pitch because Edinburgh Council are basically building a pathetic wee athletics track at Meadowbank.

Just now, tamthebam said:

Not as far as I know unless the SPFL are prepared to sanction League football at a stadium with one turnstile, a 500 seat stand with 4 rows of seats and an 8 lane track between you and the pitch because Edinburgh Council are basically building a pathetic wee athletics track at Meadowbank.

That's outrageous! Sorry to hear that. It wouldn't have cost much to add another couple of turnstiles and a bit of terracing, surely?! 

I have been following your progress and wish you well for the future. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

When unicorns roam the slopes of Arthur's Seat and Edinburgh cyclists start obeying road traffic laws, that's when 

I was quite hopeful when I started reading that. Then I got to the second part of the sentence and realised you were kidding.