Edinburgh City

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Thank. No mention of Hibs friendly at either of these sites.

http://www.hibernianprogrammes.co.uk/1974-75.html

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_friendly_list.php?page=6

When did City move into Meadowbank - was it for the start of 1996-97? If so it might have been an EOS League Cup game.

The Meadowbank v Hibs pre-season friendly was behind closed doors a couple of days before he Albion Rovers match. That's why it wouldn't get a mention.

Meadowbank Thistle vacated the ground in 1995 playing their last league game away at Morton on 13 May 1995. Before their demise, Bill Hunter mentions in his book, The Road to Livingston, that he arranged a game still as Meadowbank Thistle verses Sarajevo on July 30 1995 at Meadowbank. I think the new LIvingston FC had to play a couple of their first games at Meadowbank because Almondvale wasn't ready in time for the start of the 95/96 season. Their opening match at Almondvale was not until 5 November 1995 according to Bill Hunter's book but that date doesn't tie in with the fixtures list for that season. So it may have been 11 November v East Stirlingshire funnily enough (1-1).

Further research required,,,, watch this space 

That was the opening game at Almondvale. The ques that day were horrendous.

There was a real fear among us Shire types that we wouldn't get in. In the end we were inside the stadium an hour before ko :(

The draw was pleasing though

23 minutes ago, holme said:

That was the opening game at Almondvale. The ques that day were horrendous.

There was a real fear among us Shire types that we wouldn't get in. In the end we were inside the stadium an hour before ko :(

The draw was pleasing though

Thanks for confirming opening game. Mr Hunter must have got his dates wrong in the book.

So Edinburgh City would have taken up residence at Meadowbank some time after November 1995. Wikipedia says the year was 1996 and Edinburgh City were 1st Division EOS winners in season 1995/96 and then promoted to the Premier Division.

The SPFL today confirmed fixture amendment for season 2016/17 following approval of requests made by the club.

Saturday October 8, 2016
Ladbrokes League 2
Edinburgh City v Elgin City
Kick-off 3.00pm
(Was Saturday December 24)

It is hoped that Edinburgh City won't be handing out any early Christmas presents to Elgin City, although fans are asked to dress accordingly and sing festive songs. Jingle all the way indeed!

On 9/7/2016 at 23:12, HibeeJibee said:

Thank. No mention of Hibs friendly at either of these sites.

http://www.hibernianprogrammes.co.uk/1974-75.html

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_friendly_list.php?page=6

When did City move into Meadowbank - was it for the start of 1996-97? If so it might have been an EOS League Cup game.

City moved in to Meaowbank in January 1996 ( I have the programme from the 1st game can't remember who they played I will try and dig it out). Livingston had a lease on the stadium until the end of December and still played reserve games there with the last game being v Cowden reserves a week or so before they left for good.

Edited by cowdenbeath

15 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

City moved in to Meaowbank in January 1996 ( I have the programme from the 1st game can't remember who they played I will try and dig it out). Livingston had a lease on the stadium until the end of December and still played reserve games there with the last game being v Cowden reserves a week or so before they left for good.

City's first match at Meadowbank was on 13 January 1996 - a 1-0 League win over Selkirk.  Can't remember if the floodlights were switched on for the second half.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I can remember that the game was shite. 

There's a pattern emerging here..... 

Fortunately, hand on heart, I can vouch for none of City's home games being shite this season. All played like cup ties so far, gung ho style if not gangnam style.  

On 07/09/2016 at 22:58, Mr Blobby said:

Don't know about the first Edinburgh City game under floodlights at Meadowbank but you are right about Meadowbank Thistle. First home game at Meadowbank was a league cup tie on a Friday night 9 August 1974 v Albion Rovers played under floodlights. I had the programme but can only find this image of the cover at the moment. There was a single teamsheet insert inside the cover giving the names of the players. Ferranti printed the programme themselves, I believe.

Attendance 2818. Result 0-1. Pre-match entertainment provided by a Go Go Dancer called Wanda who was mentioned in later programmes as being supplied by one of the players I think. The programme for the first home league game v Alloa, which I had but have also lost at the moment, may have mentioned a hurriedly arranged pre-season friendly against Hibs before that Albion Rovers match but I can't be sure. ATM

The big black line at the top of the programme masked the Ferranti Thistle Football Club name that was still left on there and had to be blanked out.

img025.jpg

Meadowbank's second home game was another League Cup tie against Brechin City. The first attempt to play it had to be called off because the Council had forgotten to mark the pitch! It still bore the markings from the previous weekend's athletics meeting. This only came to light after the supporters were in the ground so everybody had their admission money refunded. The authorities went lightly on them as they were the new boys - no financial penalty (apart from maybe having to cover Brechin's travel expenses).