Edinburgh City

On 09/05/2022 at 08:41, ARFC Exile said:

Should be Meadowbank, however untill the new stand on the other side is built, the capacity will be capped at 500. I'd imagine if we are promoted there will be a mad rush to get it done.

There's no way 500 will be enough. Dunfermline and Falkirk would bring more than that. Can we expect to see one of those dodgy temporary gazebos going up at the other side?

4 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

There's no way 500 will be enough. Dunfermline and Falkirk would bring more than that. Can we expect to see one of those dodgy temporary gazebos going up at the other side?

I don't know how long it will be before this happens, but......

Edinburgh City have been given the green light to build an additional stand at the new Meadowbank Stadium, taking the capacity up to nearly 2,000 and meeting SPFL requirements.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/edinburgh-city-get-green-light-for-new-stand-at-meadowbank-3642262

On 14/05/2022 at 17:36, Tenkay said:

I don't know how long it will be before this happens, but......

Edinburgh City have been given the green light to build an additional stand at the new Meadowbank Stadium, taking the capacity up to nearly 2,000 and meeting SPFL requirements.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/edinburgh-city-get-green-light-for-new-stand-at-meadowbank-3642262

Pleased for good friends who have worked hard to get City where they are, and also chuffed that I have 2 away games on my doorstep.  However, it must be a concern that the increased capacity won't be there any time soon.  The stadium isn't open yet, and there is no sign of any work on increased capacity.  Presumably there would have been an announcement if funding had been approved.  It must be very frustrating for City that they will lose out on a very significant amount of money playing at Meadowbank with a capacity of 500* compared to Ainslie Park with a much bigger capacity.  

* I am assuming that City have committed to the SPFL that they are using Meadowbank next season.

10 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Pleased for good friends who have worked hard to get City where they are, and also chuffed that I have 2 away games on my doorstep.  However, it must be a concern that the increased capacity won't be there any time soon.  The stadium isn't open yet, and there is no sign of any work on increased capacity.  Presumably there would have been an announcement if funding had been approved.  It must be very frustrating for City that they will lose out on a very significant amount of money playing at Meadowbank with a capacity of 500* compared to Ainslie Park with a much bigger capacity.  

* I am assuming that City have committed to the SPFL that they are using Meadowbank next season.

Looking at the plans, it really shouldn't take long to put the stand up. Permission had been granted so it's a case of materials and manpower. If it was started next week it could easily be completed by August.

All depends on how far City are down the line with the process of appointing someone to do the job.

As for the rest of the Stadium/complex, i'm led to believe the keys were handed to the council a couple of weeks ago, and they are now running through there systems to check things. Will definitely be open by the start of the season.

Edited by ARFC Exile

31 minutes ago, ARFC Exile said:

Looking at the plans, it really shouldn't take long to put the stand up. Permission had been granted so it's a case of materials and manpower. If it was started next week it could easily be completed by August.

All depends on how far City are down the line with the process of appointing someone to do the job.

As for the rest of the Stadium/complex, i'm led to believe the keys were handed to the council a couple of weeks ago, and they are now running through there systems to check things. Will definitely be open by the start of the season.

I hope you are right,  However, shortages of material and manpower may be a problem in the current climate.  It was rumoured that issues in this area were to blame for the very long delays in completing the main stadium (on top of delays caused by Covid).  City were expecting to play their first home game at Meadowbank in early November, and before that I'm pretty sure they hoped to be in situ for the start of this season.

It's all a bit odd as it seems odd that City would be allowed to use Meadowbank with a capacity of 500 for League 1.  I'm sure the expectation was that the higher capacity would be in place for the start of next season

I've not got any inside info on this but the lack of the second stand is obviously a big concern. I don't know if the club's hands are tied a bit with the site being with the main contractor until very recently.

Agree the stand won't be in place for the new season and hoping the club is looking at a temporary solution. The last thing they want is to miss out on a few hundred Dunfermline or Falkirk fans paying in because we can't accommodate them.

Once the euphoria of promotion has died down there'll be a few of us contacting the club for an update on next season.

A few unsubstantiated rumours circulating that the jobsworths at the Clowncil are the reason for the delay in getting the electrical certificates signed off. 

Given that the running track at Meadowbank needs to be accessible by the community on non-footballing days I think it unlikely that City will be able to construct some permanent barriers behind the goals and opposite the main stand to allow for spectators to stand. Similar to what they have at Ainslie Park. Temporary barriers that get wheeled out for a match day just wouldn't work. 

Which leaves us with just the 499 seats. 

With Queens Park and Clyde having to ground share with other teams could there be a remote possibility that City will have to start next season at Ainslie Park, or worse still another ground share ?

(Edited to add that there is the small matter of how the new stand is going to be paid for......watch out for a "Subscribe to have your name on a Brick" post from the Club )

PS. Still buzzing after Friday. What a night.....

Edited by RubyTuesday

Congratulations Edinburgh City. It's going to be one hell of a League One next season though. Multiple full time teams and part time clubs with plenty money kicking about and Montrose, who're just very, very good. Very little margin of error with I imagine Clyde and Peterhead being your targets to finish above.

2 hours ago, ARFC Exile said:

The building of the proposed ('modest') second stand, shouldn't take long to build - assuming the finance is in place (?)

If the 2022/23 fixture list (when published) includes early in the season home matches, against (only those) League 1  clubs which have a sizeable away following, the SPFL may permit City to swap the dates of these "home" and "away" matches. This could/should be requested on safety grounds, and would almost certainly, be supported by the police. It would also be of benefit to the other clubs, who would probably accept this venue switch ?

During this interim period, City could offer up to (say) 400 of the 499 seats in the newly completed stand, as (interim) season tickets, for supporters to purchase, thereby securing seats for dedicated supporters. If agreed, this would avoid the necessity of temporarily 'hiring' Ainslie Park, or any other ground, until the second stand is completed, thereby reducing additional interim expenditure.  

Just a thought ! 

15 minutes ago, Robert James said:

If the 2022/23 fixture list (when published) includes early in the season home matches, against (only those) League 1  clubs which have a sizeable away following, the SPFL may permit City to swap the dates of these "home" and "away" matches. This could/should be requested on safety grounds, and would almost certainly, be supported by the police. It would also be of benefit to the other clubs, who would probably accept this venue switch ?

A sensible suggestion Robert. Not exactly in the same territory, but Spurs were allowed to play their first 4 games away from home in 2018 as their new super duper stadium wasn't quite ready. Sadly, Meadowbank will be slightly less capacity than the Tottenham Hotspur stadium....

A sensible suggestion Robert. Not exactly in the same territory, but Spurs were allowed to play their first 4 games away from home in 2018 as their new super duper stadium wasn't quite ready. Sadly, Meadowbank will be slightly less capacity than the Tottenham Hotspur stadium....
Or the example much closer to home, Heart of Midlothian.

1 hour ago, Caro-Kann said:

Have City been in touch with Scottish Athletics at all about the new stand at Meadowbank as I imagine they would be keen to host events there with a greater capacity than 500?

They can F.O. 

On 16/05/2022 at 12:40, Robert James said:

The building of the proposed ('modest') second stand, shouldn't take long to build - assuming the finance is in place (?)

A 1400 seater is not that modest and not a hope in hell that can be ready for the new season, unless it’s some horrible temporary set up for a few hundred.

On 16/05/2022 at 10:08, ARFC Exile said:

Official handover to council is supposed to be this Monday. 

3 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

A 1400 seater is not that modest and not a hope in hell that can be ready for the new season, unless it’s some horrible temporary set up for a few hundred.

It's only another 200 seats.   Other 1200 is standing / terracing.