Edinburgh City

28 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

From what I saw in his 2 spells on trial at us, he’ll probably do fine without being anything to get excited over.

Cheers. Was going to go on your thread later and ask but you've been good enough to answer my question before I've even asked it haha. Hopefully he can do a job and he isn't a panic signing. To get out of this league then any signing we get needs to be league one standard at a minimum.  If he's not that, then I certainly won't be getting excited.

15 hours ago, Good Citizen Bad Citizen said:

Ciaran Brian signs from some 4th tier Swedish club, right-back, has two first names.

Yeah, that's what I'm taking from this signing - a right back meaning there hopefully isn't the requirement to put a square peg in a round hole as we've been doing so far this season. 

As you've stated in a later post, hopefully he's of the League One standard to help us push out this league. My concern is these signings we make are lads on trial so we can "take a closer look" which suggests they are to a certain extent a gamble. 

Let's see what the lad brings. Fingers crossed he is a bit like a prime Cafu! 

Edited by Pete83

3 hours ago, Pete83 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm taking from this signing - a right back meaning there hopefully isn't the requirement to put a square peg in a round hole as we've been doing so far this season. 

As you've stated in a later post, hopefully he's of the League One standard to help us push out this league. My concern is these signings we make are lads on trial so we can "take a closer look" which suggests they are to a certain extent a gamble. 

Let's see what the lad brings. Fingers crossed he is a bit like a prime Cafu! 

I've no issue with bringing lads in on trial. Our greatest ever centre half came via that route. And I think with Brian, part of the issue would be needing international clearance, so its easier to have him on trial before making a full signing. Recommended by Dick Campbell, so lets hope that means he's got something about him.

42 minutes ago, FatboyFatFTS said:

I've no issue with bringing lads in on trial. Our greatest ever centre half came via that route. And I think with Brian, part of the issue would be needing international clearance, so its easier to have him on trial before making a full signing. Recommended by Dick Campbell, so lets hope that means he's got something about him.

Good point mate, I didn't actually think about the International clearance side of things.

Having read over the captain's interview in the Evening News this afternoon, he's saying the right things and there doesn't appear to be any doubt as to what the objective is this season. Here's hoping the lads bring something back from Forfar tomorrow.

After much humming and hawing, I eventually decided to go to the game at about 12.55. Made kick off just and no more! Made my way round to behind the end City were shooting towards, just in time to see Forfar go one ahead! Great start. 

Fearing the worst, I was pleasantly surprised to see us take the game to Forfar. Playing Danny Jardine more central, with with John Robertson and Shanley ahead of him, seen us create a number of good chances. Robertson looked particularly strong yet again getting into great positions and working the opposition centre halfs. The downside to our swashbuckling forward play was our inability to stop Forfar from hitting us on the break with a decent degree of success. Whenever a long ball was played in behind our centre halfs were struggling to deal with it. This lead to Reekie being caught wrong side and giving away clumsy penalty which, luckily for us, was crashed against the post by our old pal Sheps. The game continued from end to end until the half time whistle with City both lucky not to be 2 down and also unlucky to not be on the score sheet ourselves.

Second half and Forfar came out with more intent playing some decent stuff. City huffed and puffed but struggled to get a foothold back in the game. We then lost our goalie Goodfellow to injury replaced by Schwake, both of whom struggled to distribute the ball throughout the game. Any chance of grabbing a leveller virtually disappeared when Robertson was forced off injured mid way through the half. A slack pass by the new right back Brian, who had been solid up until this point, led to Forfor confirming the win late on.

Poitives - an improvement from last week.

We played some incisive football.

Robertson looks a player.

Forfar steward let me lift my lad over the turnstile.

Negatives - Both Goalies not good enough IMO.

We look soft at the centre of defence.

For all our chances created we still haven't scored.

Wee group of Forfar teenagers abusing my laddie for wearing a City shirt. He's 9 FFS.

Onwards to Friday night football

That was very very bad. Recruitment is by far the most important part of management (especially at part time level) and we've made a total arse of it. 

Not one player in the XI who actually likes defending - Bronsky the only one in the squad really.

A squad with a combined total of about 6 career goals struggling to score - 1 deflected strike in 6 games I think? - what a shock that is.......

I was open minded about cutting loose some of our experienced players this summer but with the assumption we had improvements in mind. We clearly didn't. 

35 minutes ago, ARFC Exile said:

After much humming and hawing, I eventually decided to go to the game at about 12.55. Made kick off just and no more! Made my way round to behind the end City were shooting towards, just in time to see Forfar go one ahead! Great start. 

Fearing the worst, I was pleasantly surprised to see us take the game to Forfar. Playing Danny Jardine more central, with with John Robertson and Shanley ahead of him, seen us create a number of good chances. Robertson looked particularly strong yet again getting into great positions and working the opposition centre halfs. The downside to our swashbuckling forward play was our inability to stop Forfar from hitting us on the break with a decent degree of success. Whenever a long ball was played in behind our centre halfs were struggling to deal with it. This lead to Reekie being caught wrong side and giving away clumsy penalty which, luckily for us, was crashed against the post by our old pal Sheps. The game continued from end to end until the half time whistle with City both lucky not to be 2 down and also unlucky to not be on the score sheet ourselves.

Second half and Forfar came out with more intent playing some decent stuff. City huffed and puffed but struggled to get a foothold back in the game. We then lost our goalie Goodfellow to injury replaced by Schwake, both of whom struggled to distribute the ball throughout the game. Any chance of grabbing a leveller virtually disappeared when Robertson was forced off injured mid way through the half. A slack pass by the new right back Brian, who had been solid up until this point, led to Forfor confirming the win late on.

Wee group of Forfar teenagers abusing my laddie for wearing a City shirt. He's 9 FFS.

Shepherd won the penalty but it was Gallagher that missed it ( our third miss of season already). Thought City looked decent going forward but like his time with us Robertson looks a trier rather than a scorer, your defence however….

Edited by nofixedability

10 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

That was very very bad. Recruitment is by far the most important part of management (especially at part time level) and Naysmith's made a total arse of it.

A squad with a combined total of about 6 career goals struggling to score - 1 deflected strike in 6 games I think? - what a shock that is.......

I was open minded about cutting loose some of our experienced players this summer but with the assumption we had improvements in mind. We clearly didn't. 

Tidied that up a wee bit!

I think Conrad Balatoni was looking finished last season. 

However, there's No doubt still having  Callum Antell, Craig Thomson, Andy Black,  Mark Laird and Blair Henderson would make a massive improvement to that Current team we've got there!!!

14 hours ago, ARFC Exile said:

Cheers for this, always like read from the other side.

2 issues, yer lad was let in FREE, our lads get to call him a wee p***k.  Forfar are very fair. 

3 hours ago, Tenkay said:

However, there's No doubt still having  Callum Antell, Craig Thomson, Andy Black,  Mark Laird and Blair Henderson would make a massive improvement to that Current team we've got there!!!

Thomson looked well off it last season. Absolutely no question. If you thought Balatoni was, then you have include Thomson as well, especially towards the end of the season. The other losses you mention were/are simply unacceptable, though I think there's a bit more to Blair going than Naysmith simply showing him the door.

4 hours ago, Tenkay said:

I have to say I don't buy the idea that Naysmith bears complete responsibility for the absolute mess the squad is in. McDonaugh is still at the club and is meant to be Sporting Director, if he's not providing guidance with transfers then not sure what he's doing there. 

Bigger concern re. Naysmith for me is that his in game changes (including half time) are totally ineffective

21 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

I have to say I don't buy the idea that Naysmith bears complete responsibility for the absolute mess the squad is in. McDonaugh is still at the club and is meant to be Sporting Director, if he's not providing guidance with transfers then not sure what he's doing there. 

Bigger concern re. Naysmith for me is that his in game changes (including half time) are totally ineffective

The Sporting Director role is a wide remit. From whats been said about James, its primarily to establish an Academy, help get the Women's Team going and helping with overseeing other, related operations. Transfers will be a part of it. Assuming its like other SD's/DoF's, they can advise but final decisions on the squad falls to the manager. You cant be telling anybody that McDonaugh would've been happy with the filleting of the squad he built, whilst absolute diddy's like Chris Kane get re-signed?

As for the in game changes, absolutely. But part of that is the squad he's built, hasnt the capability to change games.

Edited by FatboyFatFTS

If people at the club did disagree with the moves Naysmith was making them there has to be a system of checks and balances in place to make sure that doesn't happen. That's on the club not Naysmith.

We could all see the risk with the squad being overhauled so if City officials disagreed with what he was doing then they should have intervened. If they bought into it then they're as culpable as him.

Sporting Director is above manger in any organisational chart I've ever seen!

10 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

If people at the club did disagree with the moves Naysmith was making them there has to be a system of checks and balances in place to make sure that doesn't happen. That's on the club not Naysmith.

We could all see the risk with the squad being overhauled so if City officials disagreed with what he was doing then they should have intervened. If they bought into it then they're as culpable as him.

Sporting Director is above manger in any organisational chart I've ever seen!

They've given Naysmith a three year deal. Whilst there's needs to be 'checks and balances', how far does that go and would the manager accept such questioning of his authority? They could very well have said 'what you doing here?' and Naysmith has managed to talk them round - 'well here's my plan'. If there's one thing we've learned about him is he loves to talk. Certainly a good bit of that is trying to talk a good game. Very easy to hoodwink some and they've perhaps went for it.

As for the organisational chart, that is indeed correct. But it'll depend on the remit with the role. SD's arent like General Managers in North American sports. Managers can take or leave recommendations and then choose their own path. From what we've seen so far, I'd say the latter is whats happened for the majority.

Highlights up.

We really need to be taking those chances first half. 

Just listened to Naysmith's post match interview bemoaning the fact we lost our spark and attcking intent when Robertson and Shanley went off. If only we had a proven goalscorer at this level..........

Wow what a mess we are in. I agree with points made by everyone, there is serious concern amongst our small support and I'm not exaggerating when I say this, but one very close friend of mine will not part with his cash until things at the club improve. We all still go out of blind loyalty and get behind our team, however he made some very hard hitting points as to why he won't go to games. How many others feel like that right now? How many others under the radar are sliding off to other local clubs at a lower level then us? Let me tell you, quite a few. Musselburgh are getting crowds of over 350, Bonnyrigg Athletic's support is growing, so are many other clubs around Edinburgh and The Lothians. These are the exact fans we were trying to attract, the neutrals and ones that want to stop floating, but our product is garbage at the moment,  we still are not at Meadowbank (not the clubs fault) and there are a few other things which I won't air on a public forum as to why people are reluctant to come and support our club. Many small clubs around the area are growing in support, sadly, I think ours is going to plummet if things don't change. There is only so much we can do as supporters to egg our pals on to get along to games. Some may think my post is a bit melodramatic so early in the season, but even after not winning in our first 10 games in 2016/17 I was still confident we'd stay up in which we did comfortably in the end. This season, I haven't got that confidence whatsoever, in fact, I'm absolutely bricking it if we can't find our scoring  boots in the next couple of weeks max. 

Sorry to those trying to be positive , I'm trying, but it's really difficult right now.