Edinburgh City

Nice wee day out through in Coatbridge on Saturday for what was a pretty entertaining afternoon.

I felt City squandered too many chances in the box, especially first half when Reekie blazed over from close range and someone put a free header over the bar from around 6 yards after Handling's pin point cross.  City need to be a bit more clinical in those situations - we cannot keep passing up opportunities.

On the flip side, we seemed to give a away too many set pieces in good areas and need to be a little smarter. I'm not filled with confidence when balls are delivered in our box. Too often things feel frantic.

As for the referee, a truly remarkable decision in the 90th minute to blow the full time whistle when City had a 1 on 1 with the keeper following his fluffed goal kick. Couldn't quite believe she blew full time at that point...

Wednesday will be a tough one against Falkirk, then we can get on with the League campaign. I do have a slight nagging concern we aren't in as good a position with this squad over last seasons. I suppose that might change in the coming weeks though...

3 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

When is it you're actually moving back to Meadowbank? Almost started making arrangements to get there after seeing the statement at the start of the season but noticed you're still out at Ainslie Park.

The hope was to be back in Meadowbank for the start of the league season but I believe construction has been delayed due to COVID and it's looking like October/November...

14 minutes ago, Pete83 said:

The hope was to be back in Meadowbank for the start of the league season but I believe construction has been delayed due to COVID and it's looking like October/November...

Unfortunate, was looking forward to a trip to Meadowbank. Significantly easier to get to than Ainslie Park as well.

Was going to ask how you're looking for this season but just seen your post a few above so I'll assume you're not too confident haha. You don't happen to know if the car park at Morrisons is time limited do you?

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

10 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Unfortunate, was looking forward to a trip to Meadowbank. Significantly easier to get to than Ainslie Park as well.

Was going to ask how you're looking for this season but just seen your post a few above so I'll assume you're not too confident haha.

For away fans, Meadowbank is definitely easier, especially if using the train. There's also loads of better pub options at the Omni and down London Road. For me, I'm 5 minutes away from Meadowbank and 25 minutes away from Ainslie Park so looking forward to the return. I know some City fans feel a little different as it just depends where you live.

We've played some good stuff at times in the two games I've seen this season (Hamilton and Albion) but we just seem a little vulnerable at the back. League Two is quite tight at the best of times, but I'd expect  top 4...

Edit. I've parked in the Morrison's car park loads of times and never had a ticket. I couldn't tell you for sure mind!

Edited by Pete83

3 hours ago, Pete83 said:

We've played some good stuff at times in the two games I've seen this season (Hamilton and Albion) but we just seem a little vulnerable at the back. League Two is quite tight at the best of times, but I'd expect  top 4...

"A little vulnerable at the back" you say.

I'll add, "nothing at all up front"

Not sure I'd expect top 4 with this team...

7 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

"A little vulnerable at the back" you say.

I'll add, "nothing at all up front"

Not sure I'd expect top 4 with this team...

I was probably being generous with the "little" part of that statement about vulnerability!

You bring up a good point about there being nothing up front too. Ouzy See is basically being used as a target man but wasn't productive enough in that role on Saturday then again, he also didn't appear to get much support. There's definitely something missing in an attacking sense.

Ouzy would be half decent as a second striker at this level.

The problem I can see is we still need to sign a main striker, and then play with two up top.

At the moment we'll not  score many so may be trying to sneak 1-0 wins, most weeks.

Ryan Shanley looked good at Bonnyrigg but seems to have disappeared,  but it's all young boys in the attacking positions I feel we need to get a more experienced forward in.

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

Ouzy would be half decent as a second striker at this level.

The problem I can see is we still need to sign a main striker, and then play with two up top.

At the moment we'll not  score many so may be trying to sneak 1-0 wins, most weeks.

Ryan Shanley looked good at Bonnyrigg but seems to have disappeared,  but it's all young boys in the attacking positions I feel we need to get a more experienced forward in.

Yeah, I think that's a fair point. Ouzy can do well as a the target man but it's pointless without a partner as he has to try and play back to midfield or out wide. Two up top would help, suppose it's about the balance elsewhere.

The thought of us trying to sneak 1-0 is grim, as balls in the box appear to cause chaos at times which will lead to conceding a few. We are not a million miles away from being a good side though but need a couple of additions.

I'm not sure what the script is with Shanley post Bonnyrigg. I liked MacFarlane off the bench, but I thought he showed he was raw at times on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Pete83 said:

Yeah, I think that's a fair point. Ouzy can do well as a the target man but it's pointless without a partner as he has to try and play back to midfield or out wide. Two up top would help, suppose it's about the balance elsewhere.

The thought of us trying to sneak 1-0 is grim, as balls in the box appear to cause chaos at times which will lead to conceding a few. We are not a million miles away from being a good side though but need a couple of additions.

I'm not sure what the script is with Shanley post Bonnyrigg. I liked MacFarlane off the bench, but I thought he showed he was raw at times on Saturday.

Think Shanley is isolating currently, sure the manager mentioned on his chat.  The team are new and i reckon we have a good midfield and half decent defence.  Ouzy does a great job upfront and with players playing off him, we should score some goals.  Stirling and Kelty are big favourites with the remaining 8 looking for a play off space.  We are faster, fitter and technically better this season compared to last, but not as experienced.  We will just need to back the team and see what 2021/22 brings.  When is the new strip coming out?  😉  

15 hours ago, City Jacobite said:

Think Shanley is isolating currently, sure the manager mentioned on his chat.  The team are new and i reckon we have a good midfield and half decent defence.  Ouzy does a great job upfront and with players playing off him, we should score some goals.  Stirling and Kelty are big favourites with the remaining 8 looking for a play off space.  We are faster, fitter and technically better this season compared to last, but not as experienced.  We will just need to back the team and see what 2021/22 brings.  When is the new strip coming out?  😉  

Ah, I missed that little update about Shanley even though I watched his post match interview !

That's a fair point actually, they are technically sound but experience is definitely missing. Still, there is plenty of time to potentially bring in bodies.

Defense will hopefully see the benefit of a fit Lewis Toshney to put to bed some of my fears - he's a fair bit above this level, hopefully that gamble pays off.

I've no clue when the strip is coming out mate!? You? I thought they teased a reveal "soon" but that was about a month ago! 😆. In fact, when are season tickets going up for sale!?

Yeah, I seen that a couple of minutes ago Bay Citizen!

I'd convinced 3 lads to buy tickets to their first City game last night as well! Club have confirmed automatic refund with no action needed and the 3-0 (In fairness, that's the positive! Haha)

Was looking forward to the game tonight as I'm off the rest of the week as well.

As you say, hope the Falkirk players effected are OK.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Season Ticket pricing?

It doesn't seem to have gone down well from what I've seen on the Social Media channels.

2 hours ago, Pete83 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on the Season Ticket pricing?

It doesn't seem to have gone down well from what I've seen on the Social Media channels.

Rightly hasnt gone down well. From the cheapest ST in UK league football to the most expensive in L2.

No Early Bird/Renewal discount, the only club not do so (it seems). Some thank you to fans who stuck by the club and put their money in, throughout the pandemic. ST holders werent even offered a refund due to the shortened season. All of this has put people off. Between Friday night football, these prices and the ridiculous walk up price (though thats not just City), there seems to be quite a lot deciding to be more careful with their money. At a time when the club are going back to Meadowbank and there was a bit of buzz about going back, the club havent thought their pricing, or PR strategy, through.

38 minutes ago, FatboyFatFTS said:

Rightly hasnt gone down well. From the cheapest ST in UK league football to the most expensive in L2.

No Early Bird/Renewal discount, the only club not do so (it seems). Some thank you to fans who stuck by the club and put their money in, throughout the pandemic. ST holders werent even offered a refund due to the shortened season. All of this has put people off. Between Friday night football, these prices and the ridiculous walk up price (though thats not just City), there seems to be quite a lot deciding to be more careful with their money. At a time when the club are going back to Meadowbank and there was a bit of buzz about going back, the club havent thought their pricing, or PR strategy, through.

Sack the Board!

Blobby! Blobby! Blobby! Out! Out! Out!

Sorry, nineties flashback there...