Edinburgh City

"Friday night in Ainslie Park, Who said I lied to her.."

Tranmere Rovers were famous for Friday night games. It might work in attracting a crowd. Making the best of a bad situation as someone said although sorry Stranraer and Elgin fans for the Friday nights.

Meadowbank is meant to be open in October. I wouldn't want to find the twatty pay nothing expect everything athletes and Leith Unathletic had block booked all the Saturdays before City. I doubt that was the case..

Anyway it leaves a few Saturdays open for me to do some ground hopping now which isn't a bad thing.

Hi,

New fan here, or was going to be. Unfortunately Friday nights are off limits due to work commitments. Finally decided to take the plunge to watch Edinburgh City at Meadowbank next season but now I can't because of the ludicrous decision to play games on a Friday night. There are lots of reasons why this isn't feasible, and judging by what I've read on Twitter there are many others who share my sentiment. Sadly this is one new fan they haven't managed to attract like they have set out to do. I was very much looking forward to going along to Meadowbank next season as well as its only a short walk away from my house and my son was very keen on making Edinburgh City his new team as well. Make that two season tickets, plus a couple of shirts and scarves Edinburgh City are missing out on .

Shame, hope this decision is reversed. Was really looking forward to next season. 

Having slept on it I can only assume we reckon Meadowbank won’t be ready at all this coming season and as LTHV are sharing Ainslie Park there are no free Saturdays so it’s Friday nights or nothing.

Essentially trying to make the best of a bad situation but it’s still a bad situation.

Very hard to attract people to Ainslie Park at the best of times, would assume it’s near impossible on a Friday night.

Do clubs get compensation for paying players wages to get them off work on a Friday to travel to Edinburgh? If they can’t find premises to play games on a Saturday that is not the fault of the other clubs in the League. 
I assume Edinburgh have sought and been given permission to play their home games on a Friday?

34 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Do clubs get compensation for paying players wages to get them off work on a Friday to travel to Edinburgh? If they can’t find premises to play games on a Saturday that is not the fault of the other clubs in the League. 
I assume Edinburgh have sought and been given permission to play their home games on a Friday?

They are listed as Fridays so obviously the SPFL were consulted along with the other clubs.

14 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

What aboot Sunday games? At least it could be in the afternoon or is that time booked as well?

Think Hibs and Spartans both have women's teams playing at Ainslie of a Sunday afternoon. 

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Tranmere Rovers were famous for Friday night games

Famously, Half Man Half Biscuit turned down an invitation to appear on The Tube because Tranmere were playing that night.

I sense from that statement that Edinburgh are struggling financially a bit more than most although maybe reading a bit much into it.

How are Edinburgh bank rolled? Is it just a wealthy fella or a combination of wealthy fellas?

I struggle to see how they attract such good players, who will be on decent money, with such poor numbers through the gate.

The Friday night games announcement is an interesting one. I tend to find myself at a loose end on a Friday night, so I'm fine with this but can see why it might not be popular, especially for away fans.

Not sure what more the club could have done if we consider the delay to Meadowbank re-opening. It's good that both the SPFL and all the other clubs have been understanding - but there is a hint in the statement that they are looking to bring in more punters to boost finances.

I'll be able to drag some Hibs and Hearts supporting mates to a few games based on this announcement mind - seems that's what they are aiming for.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Stenny fan trying to troll  City about poor crowds... I see you've had to take in lodgers after losing the Shire rip off rent. 

Thought it was a fair question, you are obviously paying good money on your wages to certain individuals. Ground rent will not be cheap either so there must be someone bankrolling you either that or you will be bust in a couple of years.

The Shire at one point were going to be offered part of Ochilview and were going to build a stand opposite our one. Unfortunately due to internal wranglings at Fir Park this did not happen.  Equally there was talk about them going to Grangemouth Stadium and also the grounds of the old BP Club. Now they are happy to hand over there money to Falkirk.  Who are you happy to give your money to?  In this case it is better to be a receiver than a giver in terms of survival.

I have a feeling that Friday night football will be a loser for you in terms of crowd numbers. Good luck with it.

We've signed Balatoni still as good as a few seasons ago?

To be honest probably not, but that’s just because he’s struggled to stay fit.

He still reads the game well and if he’s not exposed to pace he’ll be fine for you I reckon. Seems Naysmith wants his own guys in and a new playing style and the big man didn’t fit what he was after.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Stenny fan trying to troll  City about poor crowds... I see you've had to take in lodgers after losing the Shire rip off rent. 

What a strange reaction to a genuine question.

Is there a reason you are so defensive about the line of questioning?

47 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

We've signed a keeper on loan from West Lothian's favourite franchise.

Brian Schwake.

Not to be confused with the ex Accies and Morton player Brian Wake after 8 pints.

Previously at Lithgae Rose on loan apparently:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-keeper-brian-schwakes-loan-22611171