Edinburgh City

4 hours ago, Pete83 said:

It appears he signed the extension of a 1 year deal but there was a release clause in the contract that QP activated.

This one feels like a ball shot for the club to be honest. Always a risk of losing the lad, but I was delighted a few weeks back when he was retained. I'm starting to feel a little less excited for the season, depending on what players are coming in, especially given what Kelty appear to building already.

We're doomed to finish second behind the monied you know-

Cov£ then Qu££ns Park and now K£lty!

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Tbh right now I'd be excited to be offered second next season!!!

Seven of the first team gone in the last week, we look a shambles at the moment.   lucky we've enough time to assemble (almost) a brand new team, that might or might not make the playoffs

I have to say though I've lost my enthusiasm for City recently.

Players come and teams go. We signed just about a whole new team when Tam Steven came in as manager and we almost won the East of Scotland League that season. 

While I'll miss Liam it's a full time club with good wages in a higher League who have signed him and not a rival.

We've signed a couple of players who don't seem to be diddies and we might yet get a couple of useful Hearts laddies on loan so I'm not pressing the panic button just yet...

55 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Players come and teams go. We signed just about a whole new team when Tam Steven came in as manager and we almost won the East of Scotland League that season. 

While I'll miss Liam it's a full time club with good wages in a higher League who have signed him and not a rival.

We've signed a couple of players who don't seem to be diddies and we might yet get a couple of useful Hearts laddies on loan so I'm not pressing the panic button just yet...

I can remember Mixu came to us a week after the season started and won the title.

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Yeah, it's quite a bad break that's for sure! It is what it is though, and we must press on and assemble a squad that can compete, which I'm sure that we will. I don't actually mind this division. It always has a fresh feel due to the turn over of sides in recent years. Still, I think City are ambitious enough to press forward.

17 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Tbh right now I'd be excited to be offered second next season!!!

Seven of the first team gone in the last week, we look a shambles at the moment.   lucky we've enough time to assemble (almost) a brand new team, that might or might not make the playoffs

I have to say though I've lost my enthusiasm for City recently.

Second would be a great finish next season, that said, we cannot chuck the towel in just yet.

I'd like to think given the structure of the club, that we can add a few more names and they have some options. Time will tell.

Try not to let your enthusiasm be dampened, it's the way the food chain is for us at the moment. We are back at Meadownbank (albeit, a bit later than I'd like) and have a vision for the future to try and progress as outlined by the board a few weeks/months back.

Positive vibes! City assembled the team we appreciated last season, I'm sure Naysmith and Murray have ideas to keep us progressing with players we can enjoy again this season.

1 hour ago, Pete83 said:

Try not to let your enthusiasm be dampened, it's the way the food chain is for us at the moment. We are back at Meadownbank (albeit, a bit later than I'd like) and have a vision for the future to try and progress as outlined by the board a few weeks/months

Sorry for seeming down in my last post there Pete.

Just that Antell, Thommo, Blackie, Balatoni, Hendo, and ESPECIALLY LAIRDY, were probably just about my six favourite players.

They've been the backbone of our team for the last two or three years, and now Liam Brown our best player,  all gone.

No fans being allowed in to the playoff final.

As you can tell I'm a bit pissed off with the club at the moment. 

Add in the fact, we're returning to Meadowbank (I'm probably the odd one out on this subject, as I live near AP)   but all that, and having the last year off, I can't see myself bothering to travel to as many home games next season when it restarts.

On a more positive note, as you say, it's a clean slate for Naysmith to assemble his own new Squad so we'll see where we go from here.

On 08/06/2021 at 13:15, Tenkay said:

Just that Antell, Thommo, Blackie, Balatoni, Hendo, and ESPECIALLY LAIRDY, were probably just about my six favourite players.

They've been the backbone of our team for the last two or three years, and now Liam Brown our best player,  all gone.

Add in the fact, we're returning to Meadowbank (I'm probably the odd one out on this subject, as I live near AP)   but all that, and having the last year off, I can't see myself bothering to travel to as many home games next season when it restarts.

On a more positive note, as you say, it's a clean slate for Naysmith to assemble his own new Squad so we'll see where we go from here.

Seems like big changes Tenkay.

The new manager has been excellent up to now and some quality signings in the 3 who have arrived.  The team will be new, the stadium new and management team fairly new.  But that may be a good thing. 

Not sure what Forfar will be like?  Or Kelty for that manner?  Stirling have strengthened and Stenny have a new team too.  Albion Rovers have half the Stirling team and  Stranraer are a good bet. 

This could be a good season and an open league?  

So you’ll be gutted to read that Laird has signed for us tonight?

Good capture for the club from what I have seen.

Buzzing we signed Laird. How was he for you guys last season, I know he is kicking on a bit but from everything I saw of him last couple of seasons, looks like he is still very capable.

Struggled a bit with injuries last season but quite simply a brilliant footballer. Really not looking forward to seeing him line up against us.

Releasing Laird felt like an odd decision at the time. Now that he’s signed for a direct rival it looks pretty stupid and if he stays fit it’ll look absolutely thick as f**k.

Arguably City’s most important player of recent years - we’d have gone straight back down to the Lowland in our first season if we hadn’t brought him in.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

So you’ll be gutted to read that Laird has signed for us tonight?

Good capture for the club from what I have seen.

Yeah. Disappointing.   A year or two years ago I would have been absolutely gutted at this news. 

However,  the way City are being run at the moment I'm not that bothered. 

I hope Lairdy does well for Stirling.  I wish him all the best.

On 09/06/2021 at 19:54, DavidMcG said:

Buzzing we signed Laird. How was he for you guys last season, I know he is kicking on a bit but from everything I saw of him last couple of seasons, looks like he is still very capable.

Lairdy signed for Edinburgh City 5 years ago and  was, quite simply, THE  best player ever to play for Edinburgh City!

Edited by Tenkay

2 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Laird is a complete professional in his approach and is pretty unflappable. He adds bite to the midfield. Also a nice guy so I won't boo him when he's taking bodies for the Binos!

Ryan Shanley in on loan from the Hibees.

Good potential as an attacking player so fingers crossed he is as impactful as Porteous and Campbell have been in recent times.

On 08/06/2021 at 13:15, Tenkay said:

Don't apologise mate, we all go through frustrations with our team at times - especially given the major surgery the side are going through just now. It does make you feel a little uneasy.

Hope you can get to Ainslie Park/Meadowbank regularly when things are back up and running. The club needs as much support as possible to grow. I'll be dragging a few neutral mates to the Hoppy for a couple before some home games next season to try and see if they get the City bug.

Edited by Pete83

6 hours ago, Pete83 said:

Ryan Shanley in on loan from the Hibees.

Good potential as an attacking player so fingers crossed he is as impactful as Porteous and Campbell have been in recent times.

I don't know anything about Ryan, but if he's as good as Josh Campbell then he'll do well for us next season!  Welcome Ryan.

On another note, I see  Callum Antell joins Liam henderson in signing for Arbroath!   

Amazing these two lads have managed to get contracts with a team two leagues up!  Fair play to them!