Edinburgh City

https://www.edinburghcityfc.com/2021/05/26/squad-update/

Few surprises in here, delighted Liam Brown is staying on and taking that as a very positive sign of our ambition next season. Surely everyone in L1 would have been sniffing about?

Genuinely a bit sad we don’t get an opportunity to say goodbye and thanks to Marc Laird, goes down as one of our best ever and we’d have been relegated that first season if not for him. A brilliant player.

Thought Black would get another year but pretty clear Naysmith looking for something akin to a clean slate.

27 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

https://www.edinburghcityfc.com/2021/05/26/squad-update/

Few surprises in here, delighted Liam Brown is staying on and taking that as a very positive sign of our ambition next season. Surely everyone in L1 would have been sniffing about?

Genuinely a bit sad we don’t get an opportunity to say goodbye and thanks to Marc Laird, goes down as one of our best ever and we’d have been relegated that first season if not for him. A brilliant player.

Thought Black would get another year but pretty clear Naysmith looking for something akin to a clean slate.

I was certain Brown would move up after our play-off matches and I was hoping it would be to us. I obviously only watched him in two games but looks a great bit of business to get him signed up.

I'm quite surprised and disappointed with two or three names on the released list as they've been great players for us for the last 3 or so years.

They could do a job for a Kelty or Cowdenbeath next season.

I'm also disappointed with one or two names that are remaining as I don't rate them!

I hope Naismith knows what he's doing  as so far I'm not impressed with the new coaches.

8 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I'm quite surprised and disappointed with two or three names on the released list as they've been great players for us for the last 3 or so years.

They could do a job for a Kelty or Cowdenbeath next season.

I'm also disappointed with one or two names that are remaining as I don't rate them!

I hope Naismith knows what he's doing  as so far I'm not impressed with the new coaches.

Out of interest, who are the names you are disappointed with who are leaving the club?

I'd have liked to see Antell and Laird stay, but not sure about the rest.

Out of interest, who are the names you are disappointed with who are leaving the club?

I’d have kept a fit Andy Black for what it’s worth

2 hours ago, Pete83 said:

I'd have kept almost all the guys on the released list!

Antelll, Thommo, Balatoni  Black and Lairdy have been the backbone of our team for the last 3 years and are all top players

Plus they're probably about my 5 favourite players as well, so I'm gutted!

So if we're getting better players than them in, then we'll stroll to the title next season!

As I said earlier, I've Not  been impressed so far with anything I've seen from the new coaches that they will take us forward, (I think we lost 6 from last 10 games?) But will give then a chance next season to get it right.

43 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Reminds me of the time that Meadowbank released a player called Jackie Smyth - just after he'd been presented with the Supporters' Club Player of the Year trophy. Not sure we ever got it back...

Of the regulars who haven’t been offered a deal I’d say the following:

Antell - been mainly good, would have kept
Black - if fit a brilliant player would have kept
Laird - in my top 3 city players ever obviously would have kept (Christ this is upsetting)
Thommo/Conrad - both been good players but not sure they’re fit enough for what Naysmith wants, Balatoni in particular must be on decent money so can see why they are away
Harris - never close to fulfilling his potential not surprising he’s away

Wee bit of a clear out.

Shame Kelby Mason never had much of a City career, he looked decent when he played.

Lairdy- legend and a great guy.

We might get some Hearts laddies in with Naysmith's contacts- hopefully there's another Josh Campbell to be found...

55 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Reminds me of the time that Meadowbank released a player called Jackie Smyth - just after he'd been presented with the Supporters' Club Player of the Year trophy. Not sure we ever got it back...

Smyth ended up as a no bad Whitehill manager.

3 hours ago, Hauftimedraw said:
3 hours ago, tamthebam said:
Smyth ended up as a no bad Whitehill manager.

Was that no Dave Smith?

Both. Dave Smith and Jackie Smyth were Whitehill managers.

I saw Dave Smith play at Dunbar once- can't remember for who but he was a right hard b*****d!

From your website

"Our loan signings will also be returning to their parent clubs when their agreements expire; Raffaele De Vita, Jamie Dishington, Darren Smith, Jordan Tapping, Sam Denham and Josh Campbell."

Some won't be returning to clubs, off top of my head,

DeVita - Released
Dishington - Signed for Stenny
Tapping - Signed for Stenny

I dare say it will be the same all over with all clubs,

4 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

From your website

"Our loan signings will also be returning to their parent clubs when their agreements expire; Raffaele De Vita, Jamie Dishington, Darren Smith, Jordan Tapping, Sam Denham and Josh Campbell."

DeVita - Released

Jamie Dishington has moved to Spartans.

From your website

DeVita - Released

I think DeVita might have signed for us permanently if we’d not made an arse of it against Dumbarton and if he doesn’t get a better offer might end up here anyway.

Would take Campbell back but not sure what Hibs have planned for him, he’s got a year left but will obvs be loaned out again.

On 26/05/2021 at 17:57, Tenkay said:

Antelll, Thommo, Balatoni  Black and Lairdy have been the backbone of our team for the last 3 years and are all top players

Plus they're probably about my 5 favourite players as well, so I'm gutted!

So if we're getting better players than them in, then we'll stroll to the title next season!

As I said earlier, I've Not  been impressed so far with anything I've seen from the new coaches that they will take us forward, (I think we lost 6 from last 10 games?) But will give then a chance next season to get it right.

I can see the managers thinking.

Thats 3 season in a row we have tried and failed to win promotion. Taking opinion and sentiment out of the equation, thats 3 seasons of failure. If we were to be brutal about it, these players have had their chance and not taken it.

Thats not to say I haven't enjoyed watching them, i just think that the club can't be sentimental if it wants to progress.

Hopefully the manager, with his links and experience, will replace them with better quality.