Edinburgh City

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Henderson's a poacher and Court can hold up the ball/ rumble them up at corners so I'd play both of them

Agreed. 

While I can half see what Ally says, I just can't have Court as a lone striker, as the guy couldn't score into an empty net!

Sure, have Court on the park to do whatever he does, but we still need a striker beside him to score the goals!

Stenny are a decent team, and this will be a tough game, so City need someone (BH or SS) on the pitch to put away the chances we create.

Genuine question here, n not to sound like an erse but do Edinburgh city have fair few of their own fans? From what I’d heard most of the fans in attendance are hibees or jambos if their teams playing away. 

Genuine question here, n not to sound like an erse but do Edinburgh city have fair few of their own fans? From what I’d heard most of the fans in attendance are hibees or jambos if their teams playing away. 

There is a bit of that to be fair but you also get a lot of folk who maybe are Hibs or Hearts but stopped regularly going to games at Tynie or Easter Road a few years back and are either season ticket holders at City or are there every week.

We are a very small club even by League 2 standards with 2 huge clubs in the same city so it’s always going to be hard to have a massive base of our ‘own fans’ but I think there’s a halfway house between the 2 extremes (Hearts/Hibs fans coming on away days for something to do vs City badge tattooed on your leg type fan) that can work in the short to medium term.

2 hours ago, Pars1885 said:

Quite a few of us originally were Meadowbank fans who decided being told to "f*ck off" by Mr Blobby wasn't conducive to supporting a franchise 15 miles away in a different town. Others have joined the merry band along the way.

Having our own ground might help but we are where we are (thanks Spartans, thanks pals)

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:13, tamthebam said:

Quite a few of us originally were Meadowbank fans who decided being told to "f*ck off" by Mr Blobby wasn't conducive to supporting a franchise 15 miles away in a different town. Others have joined the merry band along the way.

Having our own ground might help but we are where we are (thanks Spartans, thanks pals)

is there a bit of rivalry with Livingston then with them relocating and changing name?

I wouldn't say rivalry as such. Given we've been watching City in the EOSL/LL for most of the last quarter century Livingston are now more of an irrelevant nuisance. Our rivals for a long time were Spartans and Whitehill Welfare as they were the 2 big local EOSL teams (and there was, shall we say, a history of "interesting" refereeing decisions in games against them). Spartans are now our thoroughly decent landlords and Whitehill are decayed in fortune. City don't really have a local rival now as such- the only club we had a sort of rivalry with was Clyde but they're not universally popular among other clubs' fans either and Clyde's rivals will always be Partick or QP. 

To take a scenario Cowden rejoice when the Pars lose but I doubt many Pars fans care about Cowden's score as they're more likely to be hoping the Bairns lose. I wouldn't cry if Livingston were to go bust again but the current Almondvale board seem to be pretty careful so it seems unlikely. I have never set foot in Almondvale and never will and If City were to draw Livingston away in a Cup I wouldn't be going and one or two others feel the same way but that's about as far as it goes.  For me as a Meadowbank fan the real bitterness is 1) Meadowbank Thistle Football Club seem to have been airbrushed out of history (see also Clydebank FC who played in the Premier League twice) and 2) the fans' story was never reported, it being easier for reporters to get a quote from Bill "Blobby" Hunter. Otherwise Hunter lead Livingston to their first near bankruptcy through incompetence and that's almost a vindication of our stance (see also Gavin Masterton and Dunfermline)

Unlike the chairmen of some clubs, the bank manager didn't hide under his desk when John Blacklaw walked in. Thistle were always in the black in those days (apart possibly from the very first season) though I admit that the subsidy paid by many Ferranti employees will have helped here. It was only when Blobby got involved that things started to go tits-up financially. Incompetence off the field as well: the last straw for me was the first game of the final season, Brechin away, which we won comfortably but were then stripped of the points because one of our players was suspended. I only went to three more games that season: a cup-tie against Celtic, played at Hampden because Parkhead couldn't handle the huge Thistle travelling support was being redeveloped, the last home game and the very last game of all - Morton away, IIRC.

12 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Looks like you lads would know best out of anyone - what's Sean Mackie like?

*polite cough* erm, the nights are fair drawing in...

...to be fair he had come back from a bad injury when he played for us. Otherwise underwhelming.

On 03/09/2019 at 20:19, tamthebam said:

*polite cough* erm, the nights are fair drawing in...

...to be fair he had come back from a bad injury when he played for us. Otherwise underwhelming.

I've never looked forward to a debut so much since Caniggia signed. 

On 03/09/2019 at 00:19, Dee Man said:

Looks like you lads would know best out of anyone - what's Sean Mackie like?

Mate, I think you've got a decent signing there!

I used to watch a fair amount of Hibs under 20 games and always rated Mackie quite highly.

He's since had a few games for Hibs first team, so he's not a bad player at all and should do well in the championship.

5 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Seems like City got a decent point up at Elgin on Saturday, but once again we're hampered by more injuries.

but the League leaders are playing Clugger's Quay Gonads away this weekend so they may end up similarly hampered ...

..even going for a pie risked injury there.

biffa.jpg.f44701b7d38b867fe76e219a5aa3ec56.jpg