Edinburgh City

What did O’Dea do?

Thompson won the ball off him as he was carrying it forward, perfectly fair tackle, as soon as O’Dea hit the deck you could tell his head had gone, charged after Thompson and tried to cut him in half. About as clear a red card as I’ve ever seen.

Delightfully this was in the 20th minute, the same point in the game he got sent off in his last ever (but obviously not actually last ever) appearance, vs St Mirren at the end of last season.

If they’ve brought him in to provide an experienced and calm head then it’s not the best start. But it is, very very funny.

5 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Thompson won the ball off him as he was carrying it forward, perfectly fair tackle, as soon as O’Dea hit the deck you could tell his head had gone, charged after Thompson and tried to cut him in half. About as clear a red card as I’ve ever seen.

Delightfully this was in the 20th minute, the same point in the game he got sent off in his last ever (but obviously not actually last ever) appearance, vs St Mirren at the end of last season.

If they’ve brought him in to provide an experienced and calm head then it’s not the best start. But it is, very very funny.

Getting  sent off in a City Cup final getting played 2 years late can't get more heads gone than that.

We have signed graham Taylor, thoughts ?
i didn’t know EC had released him.

Quick, good dribbler, surprisingly strong with a low centre of gravity but always seemed to be taken off after 60/70 mins, picked up lots of silly bookings and to be honest doesn’t have much of a football brain.

Overall I think he’ll do well for you, I think a big part of his drop off in form last season was teams starting to sit deeper against us.

Decent result for City yesterday!   Matched a championship team all the way and looked a good side.

Only concern for me, is Blair Henderson being out as we look a bit light up front without him. can't see any of the other "strikers" scoring much.

Apart from that, City should do well this season.

Really impressed by Ed City yesterday and a great crowd there. They looked well organised and although they didn’t create much they didn’t give much away either. Troubling performance for Crawford and the Pars

Thought the official crowd seemed a bit light. I was there yesterday and at the Spartans v Liverpool game on Monday and there is no way there was 900 less people there.

Ainslie Park is not very good for a game with a big crowd with no enough toilets to start with massive que at half time although you have the joy of pishing on a couple of Clyde stickers when you eventually get in:lol:

5 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Decent result for City yesterday!   Matched a championship team all the way and looked a good side.

Only concern for me, is Blair Henderson being out as we look a bit light up front without him. can't see any of the other "strikers" scoring much.

Apart from that, City should do well this season.

Whats wrong with Blair? As you say they looked a bit light without them. Good to see you beating the Townies though:lol:

Thought the official crowd seemed a bit light. I was there yesterday and at the Spartans v Liverpool game on Monday and there is no way there was 900 less people there.
Ainslie Park is not very good for a game with a big crowd with no enough toilets to start with massive que at half time although you have the joy of pishing on a couple of Clyde stickers when you eventually get in:lol:

Glad someone else spotted this, didn’t want to sound like sour grapes, that was my first visit to Ainslie and i had heard it was a good ground for its level, but that’s not how it felt, constant stream of people walking in front of the stand, and if you were in the stand at least 1 corner was unviewable due to a decent number of fans standing right from the edge of the stand down the touchline.

Probably not problems that present for smaller crowds but were an issue yesterday.

The other major problem being our players couldn’t find the stadium and we were forced to play lookalikes who didn’t know how to play football.

19 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Glad someone else spotted this, didn’t want to sound like sour grapes, that was my first visit to Ainslie and i had heard it was a good ground for its level, but that’s not how it felt, constant stream of people walking in front of the stand, and if you were in the stand at least 1 corner was unviewable due to a decent number of fans standing right from the edge of the stand down the touchline.

Probably not problems that present for smaller crowds but were an issue yesterday.

The other major problem being our players couldn’t find the stadium and we were forced to play lookalikes who didn’t know how to play football.

Its  probably best at a Spartans game. You get into the cafe/bar upstairs pre match and at half time. Not too busy either and you can walk all the way around the ground and stand on the dug out side.

Normal City games you sometimes get into the bar pre game if they don't have hospitality on.

Glad you mentioned about the folk at the side of the stand I was in there 1st half and there were Pars fans blocking the view of folk at the far end, one specky c**t was that big half of him would have been in downtown Pilton. The stewards had a bit of bother getting them to move ignorant c***s.

Would this be seen as one of City's best ever results?
Yep. Alloa were in the Championship when we beat them last season, and Arbroath were streets ahead in League One when we won 4-1 at Gayfield, but neither of these clubs have been in the top division recently.

1 minute ago, scrooge1928 said:
47 minutes ago, GordonD said:
Would this be seen as one of City's best ever results?

Yep. Alloa were in the Championship when we beat them last season, and Arbroath were streets ahead in League One when we won 4-1 at Gayfield, but neither of these clubs have been in the top division recently.

Aye I would agree with that Dunfermline are an established full time Championship side while the other 2 while in the same league are part timers. 

7 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Its  probably best at a Spartans game. You get into the cafe/bar upstairs pre match and at half time. Not too busy either and you can walk all the way around the ground and stand on the dug out side.

Normal City games you sometimes get into the bar pre game if they don't have hospitality on.

Glad you mentioned about the folk at the side of the stand I was in there 1st half and there were Pars fans blocking the view of folk at the far end, one specky c**t was that big half of him would have been in downtown Pilton. The stewards had a bit of bother getting them to move ignorant c***s.

He must be the Pars' massive support..

It was nice of those cheeky Clyde fans to leave those stickers all over the bogs last season. How they migrated to the urinals I really have no idea. It must be the mysterious workings of gravity.. :whistle

I’m sure some people may know, but for those who don’t there is a new Fantasy football Scotland app, I will leave the link to the app on Apple devices below, on Android just type in Fantasy football Scotland and it should pop up

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/fantasy-football-scotland/id1469063365

I have created a league for all Pie and Bovril users if anyone wants to join, we already have around 30 people in the league just from the initial thread so hopefully we can get more, the code to join the league is

PRANJXBW

Hopefully we can get a good amount of people in :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems like (once again) other teams are going to put pressure on us, be aggressive and generally make us play a bit rather than stand back and admire our pretty passing. Absolutely rude as f**k if you ask me.

Unless we can find a way to play higher up the park then there is no point in having Henderson on the pitch, we’re as well putting Court up top and hoping he at least gets the opposition turned or holds onto it long enough so that one of our midfielders can get close enough to receive a pass.

I like the manager a lot and actually like the way he’s trying to play but if we don’t bring in some steel and aggression (aye I know I’m yer da etc) then we’ve no chance this season.

3 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Unless we can find a way to play higher up the park then there is no point in having Henderson on the pitch, we’re as well putting Court up top and hoping he at least gets the opposition turned or holds onto it long enough so that one of our midfielders can get close enough to receive a pass.

This bit I can't agree with Ally.

So you're idea to solve our problems is to drop our 30 goal player of the year, and stick in a guy with a record of something like one goal in 26 games last season? Not for me.

Wee need two strikers up top at all times. Either Hendo and court or Hendo and Sheps. One single striker gets isolated.

However the main concern is the honking defence.  Even Balatoni and Big Rab have been making mistakes this season and they both are usually quality.

You might know Liam Hendo I don't rate at all as a defender, and Chris Kane doesn't look the answer either.

I blame Mcdonagh for not signing a decent centre half for us and generally not picking the right team.

Edited by Tenkay

This bit I can't agree with Ally.
So you're idea to solve our problems is to drop our 30 goal player of the year, and stick in a guy with a record of something like one goal in 26 games last season? Not for me.
Wee need two strikers up top at all times. Either Hendo and court or Hendo and Sheps. One single striker gets isolated.
However the main concern is the honking defence.  Even Balatoni and Big Rab have been making mistakes this season and they both are usually quality.
You might know Liam Hendo I don't rate at all as a defender, and Chris Kane doesn't look the answer either.
I blame Mcdonagh for not signing a decent centre half for us and generally not picking the right team.

Sorry my wording isn’t actually all that clear, I would much prefer we find a way to get players around Henderson so he isn’t just spending the whole game fighting for scraps, 2 up front is a reasonable answer and one I’d be happy to see. What I was meaning was if we are going to just lump it or have our no9 isolated I’d rather it was Court as he’s more likely to make something of it.

I quite like Liam H but get he’s not everyone’s favourite, he does need a sharp Balatoni beside him and he’s not had that in the games I’ve seen recently. Kane looks poor so far and what he was doing at sitting midfield on Saturday I’ve no idea, that is clearly on the manager.