Edinburgh City

24 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Wow running a football club on fortnightly takings from a social club

What next they serving pea and ham soup made fae chicken 

Naebody said that but I'm sure the City fans are losing sleep over your concerns for their club. Maybes something to do wi the fact they're above ye in the league :thumsup2

Reasonable response Ally. 

But it would be remiss of me not to ask further about one or two answers. 

You mention being "a different club now" resulting in some having "drifted away", during a period of remarkable success in firstly gaining promition, then consolidating and now challenging. Something, instigated by someone, would surely have been a cause of people either choosing not to be a part of whatever it was, embracing it, or being "stuck in between", before success was forthcoming. And obviously this 'something' will have resulted in the excellent position the club finds itself now. That 'something' must have been discussed at some point, and then readily accepted, to elicit the reaction you have witnessed among your support. That is what i find difficult to believe in this, that such a thing has occurred and you don't know about it. 

Again a fair point(s) but again I would argue not as relevant as people might think. The Thomson signing skewed everything, people that had started to have concerns about the board and the direction they were taking the club didn’t really get time to build up any meaningful discontent as very quickly Thomson was brought in and that was a line in the sand for the already mildly disgruntled. *Not going to go over old ground but I thought signing him was the wrong thing to do and I took my protests to the board*

Basically we got promoted, survived (as the ‘old’ Edinburgh City), a new board came in, some people grumbled, Thomson signed, some people chucked it, the board carried on, changed the club (and I think most accept that was necessary now) and here we are.

Another, important factor to consider is that the depths of what I don’t know are a constant surprise to any that come in contact with me. Maybe some of the people I sit next to every week see a fuller picture but if they do they’re not sharing it with me.

*edited to add, me using ‘drifted away’ was probably incorrect and paints an inaccurate picture, it ended up being more abrupt than that for the reasons stated above.

The Edinburgh City Millionaires XI:

of the team that was named today:

Antell: Came from Nairn County where he was paid in Gold Rials by the oil rich North Easterners. Joined at the start of the 1st League season when City's money laundering had only just taken off. Doesn't really need paid as he made a fortune playing for the Shire previously. 
The one you lot don't like with the same name as a ref: Came from Kelty- I'm sure City have had to match Kelty's massive wages so we'll give you that one. 
McIntyre: Subject of a multi million pound move from East of Scotland cracks Tynecastle FC who made their money selling the dug's jobbies found on their former pitch at Fernieside as fertiliser.
Laird: Again, came in the 1st League season when City had to pay him in flat Irn Bru thanks to their generous sponsorship of the Challenge Cup. At least it was the properly sugary stuff. 
Smith: Another one who doesn't really need to work again thanks to City upping the massive wages he was on with big spending Forfar, Stenhousemuir and Peterheid. 
Liam Henderson: Bought a small African country after playing for Falkirk's youth team and the wages they paid. The gold plated Porsche he drives now he is a City player can often be seen in the Ainslie Park car park. 
Shepherd: Another ex-Falkirk millionaire. So rich he was recently spotted buying a pint in The Village
Watson: On loan from everyone's darlings Livingston. And everyone knows how rich Livvy are. 
Blair Henderson: City have really struggled to match the multi million pound wages he earned at Berwick and Annan. Fortunately a fan stepped in to pay his wages after scooping a small fortune during a whist drive at the City club. 
Galbraith: Arrives at training by Private Helicopter. Earning so much money at his current club he took a taxi from the City centre over the boundary to Musselburgh the other week. 

Subs: 

Morton: Reserve and U21s keeper who is no doubt happy at earning the same wage he did at Dalbeattie Star, the Real Madrid of the South West
Taylor: Came from Dundee United u21s and was no doubt on a generous wage there. Its not as if United have had money woes in recent years..
Rodger: Previous club was Brechin City who are well known for paying massive wages. The Chelsea of Angus as no-one calls them. 
Donaldson: Ex Musselburgh Athletic. Musselburgh, a team described by one commentator in the know as "that bunch of billionaires who can outspend Bonnyrigg and Lithgae. Well, no really but I'm a daftie fae Dunbar who disnae like Musselburgh".
Hall: Came from Hibs Youth team. A millionaire and not even out of his teens thanks to the generosity of Edinburgh City. 
Kennedy: Currently looking to invest in property in the Grange with the millions he gets  as a City U21s player. 
Lumsden: Also making his fortune as a City U21s player. Recently bought a fish supper, that's how rich he is. Impressive that. 

Before the City board have kittens that I've inadvertently spilled the beans the above is, of course, utter horse shite. I did miss out Balatoni whom I would imagine is on good(ish) money but as can be seen players have been signed from Stirling, Annan, Musselburgh, Peterhead, various U21 teams etc. As Danny Galbraith hasn't played for a season or two I see him as a Riordan type signing in that he's just happy to play.  I can't imagine the players previous clubs were great payers so matching or even giving a little extra in wages is not exactly matching Sheikh Mansour at Man City. 

Other clubs will be paying good money (in relative terms for this League) to their players- I can't imagine Goodwillie and Rankin are playing for sweeties at Clyde (otherwise Goodie would have signed for millionaires City!!) and McAllister is probably on good money at Peterheid.  Perhaps these players have come to City because the club is based in the Capital and its easier to get to training after their jobs (City, are, still part timers of course) rather than have to Stirling or Glasgow on a Tuesday and Thursday evening for example.  

I remember Meadowbank Thistle finishing second in the First Division back in the day with a squad that was on less money than some of the bigger teams in that Division. What they did have was a tactical genius in Terry Christie and good team spirit and maybe its the same thing with this City team. 

Not only did you omit Conrad Balatoni, but also Danny Handling who has been injured for a spell, and is - like the former - picking up more than 50% above the national average wage for two training sessions plus a game of football per week. That's before we even begin to account for the ludicrous amount of money McDonaugh has been handed to strengthen this month; he can come out in tinpot tabloids and say whatever he wants - he and those above him have done a good job of keeping hush about how much money they're throwing at their playing staff. Let's just say that Marc Laird isn't playing for Irn Bru any longer - maybe Veuve Clicquot would be an apt substitution. For those who are aware of the figures though, it won't wash. I'm sure City fans can look forward to some impressive signings this coming month, which should make for an interesting run-in. I must admit that I am jealous of Edinburgh, as long as they are sensible and don't put themselves in danger with their spending commitments. I feel like this level of external investment would be better spent on infrastructure in City's case, but then maybe there are strings attached. 

And James - give it up, mate. You're doing a good job this season but don't pretend for a second like you don't have the largest budget in the division. 

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Edinburgh City Millionaires XI:

of the team that was named today:

Antell: Came from Nairn County where he was paid in Gold Rials by the oil rich North Easterners. Joined at the start of the 1st League season when City's money laundering had only just taken off. Doesn't really need paid as he made a fortune playing for the Shire previously. 
The one you lot don't like with the same name as a ref: Came from Kelty- I'm sure City have had to match Kelty's massive wages so we'll give you that one. 
McIntyre: Subject of a multi million pound move from East of Scotland cracks Tynecastle FC who made their money selling the dug's jobbies found on their former pitch at Fernieside as fertiliser.
Laird: Again, came in the 1st League season when City had to pay him in flat Irn Bru thanks to their generous sponsorship of the Challenge Cup. At least it was the properly sugary stuff. 
Smith: Another one who doesn't really need to work again thanks to City upping the massive wages he was on with big spending Forfar, Stenhousemuir and Peterheid. 
Liam Henderson: Bought a small African country after playing for Falkirk's youth team and the wages they paid. The gold plated Porsche he drives now he is a City player can often be seen in the Ainslie Park car park. 
Shepherd: Another ex-Falkirk millionaire. So rich he was recently spotted buying a pint in The Village
Watson: On loan from everyone's darlings Livingston. And everyone knows how rich Livvy are. 
Blair Henderson: City have really struggled to match the multi million pound wages he earned at Berwick and Annan. Fortunately a fan stepped in to pay his wages after scooping a small fortune during a whist drive at the City club. 
Galbraith: Arrives at training by Private Helicopter. Earning so much money at his current club he took a taxi from the City centre over the boundary to Musselburgh the other week. 

Subs: 

Morton: Reserve and U21s keeper who is no doubt happy at earning the same wage he did at Dalbeattie Star, the Real Madrid of the South West
Taylor: Came from Dundee United u21s and was no doubt on a generous wage there. Its not as if United have had money woes in recent years..
Rodger: Previous club was Brechin City who are well known for paying massive wages. The Chelsea of Angus as no-one calls them. 
Donaldson: Ex Musselburgh Athletic. Musselburgh, a team described by one commentator in the know as "that bunch of billionaires who can outspend Bonnyrigg and Lithgae. Well, no really but I'm a daftie fae Dunbar who disnae like Musselburgh".
Hall: Came from Hibs Youth team. A millionaire and not even out of his teens thanks to the generosity of Edinburgh City. 
Kennedy: Currently looking to invest in property in the Grange with the millions he gets  as a City U21s player. 
Lumsden: Also making his fortune as a City U21s player. Recently bought a fish supper, that's how rich he is. Impressive that. 

Before the City board have kittens that I've inadvertently spilled the beans the above is, of course, utter horse shite. I did miss out Balatoni whom I would imagine is on good(ish) money but as can be seen players have been signed from Stirling, Annan, Musselburgh, Peterhead, various U21 teams etc. As Danny Galbraith hasn't played for a season or two I see him as a Riordan type signing in that he's just happy to play.  I can't imagine the players previous clubs were great payers so matching or even giving a little extra in wages is not exactly matching Sheikh Mansour at Man City. 

Other clubs will be paying good money (in relative terms for this League) to their players- I can't imagine Goodwillie and Rankin are playing for sweeties at Clyde (otherwise Goodie would have signed for millionaires City!!) and McAllister is probably on good money at Peterheid.  Perhaps these players have come to City because the club is based in the Capital and its easier to get to training after their jobs (City, are, still part timers of course) rather than have to Stirling or Glasgow on a Tuesday and Thursday evening for example.  

I remember Meadowbank Thistle finishing second in the First Division back in the day with a squad that was on less money than some of the bigger teams in that Division. What they did have was a tactical genius in Terry Christie and good team spirit and maybe its the same thing with this City team. 

Aye, right!! Team spirit it is, fostered by that wee child-bender wearing number 2. 

Nothing whatsoever to do with financial doping, of which everyone bar Newcastle Broon plead ignorance to the existence or source of. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

The speculation would stop if anyone could show City’s income versus outgoings. I know they’re not exactly going bananas but it’s pretty clear they are spending more than they pull in, given their fanbase, stadium rental, and quality of player.

For fans, it can be tempting to ignore the noise from “jealous” onlookers and rally round your own club against the haters. However Scottish football is littered with clubs who have ultimately failed after spending beyond their means. Personally I’d want to know the business model and make sure the club itself wasn’t at risk. If the club itself is being secretive then a little alarm bell should be ringing. 

Be nosey and find out. Because owners / managers / directors of football (!) come and go. The fans are the only constant. Enjoy the good times but make it your business to find out the club’s business. 

1 minute ago, BinoBalls said:

The speculation would stop if anyone could show City’s income versus outgoings. I know they’re not exactly going bananas but it’s pretty clear they are spending more than they pull in, given their fanbase, stadium rental, and quality of player.

For fans, it can be tempting to ignore the noise from “jealous” onlookers and rally round your own club against the haters. However Scottish football is littered with clubs who have ultimately failed after spending beyond their means. Personally I’d want to know the business model and make sure the club itself wasn’t at risk. If the club itself is being secretive then a little alarm bell should be ringing. 

Be nosey and find out. Because owners / managers / directors of football (!) come and go. The fans are the only constant. Enjoy the good times but make it your business to find out the club’s business. 

A real supporter emerges. 

22 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I often wonder what Terry could have achieved at a big club with money to spend.

None ever touched him because his football ideology was acid. How many players did he progress for other 'bigger' clubs? Darren Jackson and Martin Cameron?

Allan Maitland by far a superior part-time manager. And Lennon not far behind. 

I accept the point but at the moment none of City’s business looks particularly outrageous, certainly not to the extent it would cause concern about the future viability of the club.

Balatoni has consciously dropped down to part time to pursue a career as a Financial Adviser.

Handling was playing part time before us (and not all that well I believe so I’m not sure there would have been a queue for his services) and I assume is looking to use us as a springboard back to full time.

Galbraith has hardly kicked a ball for 2 years and it appears is now writing articles for Edinburgh Live.

Laird is probably on a good wage and certainly will have had a pay rise from when he joined. He’s been our most important player since the day he arrived to be fair to him.

Shepherd again is using us to get his career back on track under a manager he likes. He’ll also be on a reasonable amount I’d imagine.

Henderson B, Henderson L, Black, Smith etc. are all lower league part time players who have consistently been paid lower league part time wages. And I assume that hasn’t changed since they signed for City.

Where I do think you would see increased fan activity or increased fan concern is in regards to where we’re going to be playing our football after next season. If our ambition is to be the best part time team in the country then we need a ground that is fit for purpose, Meadowbank looks a no go, Ainslie Park is brutal if the crowd is over 400. I’d imagine if we’re not any further forward by this summer you’ll see real pressure from the support to get some clarity, you certainly will from me anyway.

Aye if we go and start bringing in guys who are playing regular full time football and have other full time options then that would be a concern in terms of sustainability.

Why do some people get their knickers in a twist about what wages players get?   I mean I couldn't care less what money players from Peterheed, Clyde or in fact any team at all get, so why do some of you get yourselves all worked up about it?

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

I often wonder what Terry could have achieved at a big club with money to spend.

Because he wouldn't know what to do with it.  His tactical system was entirely based around an effective offside trap, not the full "classic East Fife", but still a brutal watch

37 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Why do some people get their knickers in a twist about what wages players get?   I mean I couldn't care less what money players from Peterheed, Clyde or in fact any team at all get, so why do some of you get yourselves all worked up about it?

Must admit Tenkay, I don't necessarily buy into the idea you've spent loads of money.  When you first came up you took a simple approach, survival, be hard to beat & it just about worked.  Last season there was a slight improvement, but basically the same idea.   Given the standard at this level it's fine margins, three or four better signings could easily translate to 5 or 6 league positions.

What's more interesting is the quote from your manager "buying in to what we're looking to build here" and talk of being the best part time team in Scotland.  Ordinarily for that to happen you'll need a stadium a lot different to Ainslie Park and something resembling a fanbase.  Not sure how they plan achieving this as there's been little evidence even back in the Meadowbank days that Edinburgh will likely provide what's needed.

There again that to me sums up the Lowland League, full of what are really youth development sides with the savvy to secure considerable public funding by ticking all the politically correct boxes prioritizing  all inclusive participation over ability.  Models which also include charging families for their kids to get the "great honour"  of being in the presence of their wonder coaches, but now think they'll help themselves to a fast track to becoming senior teams without any feasible infrastructure.

So instead of knee jerk reactions in the press, maybe they could outline exactly how they intend to become the new part time forces in our game?

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

Your username is a belter, tbf. That's probably the signing-on fees your club dishes out. 

The truth is, we don't really give a shit what you spend. But it stands to reason that if you were shite and getting rogered every week, would you not be quick asking questions of how the club can look to recruit better players? Anyhoo....

You see, in football, there's this thing called 'rivalry'. When a team does well, people hate them. When they don't, no one cares. 

Now, i don't hate Edinburgh, or see them as a viable rival in anything other than a mutual quest to win the divisional title. And so, undermining the confidence of players, fans and officials by any means necessary is fair game. Pointing out various aspects of where in see flaws in both the model and how its supported appears to have agreement implied, as no one's told me yet that i'm wrong. It's just a wee bit of belittling intimidation, nothing to get upset over. 

The material which has already gotten a bite from your manager is frankly tame in the extreme. We've had Jim McInally in tears in the Press & Journal before. He knows now to keep it zipped. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Jackson, Kasule, Lawrence, McGachie, Logan were all pretty entertaining in their time. But why let the facts get in the way of a bitter outlook? 

Don't shoot the messengers. We had our own struggles during the Duffle's time at Ferranti, so plenty of other clubs able to pick and choose obviously came to the conclusion of not hiring him for a variety of reasons. His style, more than likely being one for each of them.