Edinburgh City

Guest Landan Spiv
17 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

What happened with Ashley Grimes, where  is he away to?   Shaun Harrison?  

Grimes was released. Was on the website and social media. Harrison was released midway through last season. Now at Penicuik I believe 

Guest Landan Spiv
2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Grimes always looked a decent player whenever I saw him play. Any reason he was released?

He was travelling up from Manchester for games and training down south. By the looks of the signings we've made it seems we have gone for players Edinburgh based or close by so they all train together etc 

Guest Landan Spiv
2 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Im sure once Balatoni starts playing you’ll stop conceding so many goals. 

Queen of the south's front 3 were excellent and that Harkins was immense. We've just played Motherwell away who are a top 6 premier side who went to two cup finals last season and Queen of the South who are scoring for fun in our last two games. I'm still very confident of the season ahead. Plus we had injuries today and a suspension. 

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Im sure once Balatoni starts playing you’ll stop conceding so many goals. 

Balatoni has been playing!  To be honest he doesn't look great, but the whole back line has been a shambles.

Really boring game today as it was so one sided.   Have we improved from last season?  Doesn't look like it!

How can  releasing solid league 2 defenders like Pat Scullion and Jesus Garcia Tena and replacing them with Non league guys like Donaldson and McIntyre be an Improvement???

I think we've seen that in the last two games.  Nothing up front either.  Another long season ahead!

Guest Landan Spiv
6 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Balatoni has been playing!  To be honest he doesn't look great, but the whole back line has been a shambles.

Really boring game today as it was so one sided.   Have we improved from last season?  Doesn't look like it!

How can  releasing solid league 2 defenders like Pat Scullion and Jesus Garcia Tena and replacing them with Non league guys like Donaldson and McIntyre be an Improvement???

I think we've seen that in the last two games.  Nothing up front either.  Another long season ahead!

Mcintyre is a very good player. Donaldson has played league football before. We played a championship team today who are scoring for fun. All that matters is that we do well in the league. Everyone around me today said the squad has improved. I don't think it was so one sided we played good football at times. Even Queens fans were saying the scoreline flattered a bit. Their 1st was miles offside. We looked superb second half against Clyde last week and were literally seconds away from taking 3 points at Broadwood. We are a much better team than last year. 

6 minutes ago, Landan Spiv said:

Mcintyre is a very good player. Donaldson has played league football before. We played a championship team today who are scoring for fun. All that matters is that we do well in the league. Everyone around me today said the squad has improved. I don't think it was so one sided we played good football at times. Even Queens fans were saying the scoreline flattered a bit. Their 1st was miles offside. We looked superb second half against Clyde last week and were literally seconds away from taking 3 points at Broadwood. We are a much better team than last year. 

Big Robbie did look OK going forward,  defensively not so sure,  but the whole defence was brutal.   Donaldson looks out his depth!  Gareth Rodger I've never rated.

Midfield has some decent players,  up front the two boys are a bit isolated, and need better service..   

We need another striker and two better  quality defenders, IMHO.

2 hours ago, Landan Spiv said:

Eh? Not sure what you were watching but there's no way that result particularly flattered us. It could and should have been 5 or 6. The first was nothing like offside and the referee was being extremely charitable when he ruled out the 5th. Antell made a terrific stop from Dykes header not long before that and we largely played the second half in 2nd gear. Other than one terrific save in the first half Alan Martin could have taken a deck chair out with him.

We're playing really well at the moment though and have the best forward outside the Premiership so I wouldn't unduly worry about it. Your season won't be decided by how you do against Queen of the South.

Guest Landan Spiv
8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Eh? Not sure what you were watching but there's no way that result particularly flattered us. It could and should have been 5 or 6. The first was nothing like offside and the referee was being extremely charitable when he ruled out the 5th. Antell made a terrific stop from Dykes header not long before that and we largely played the second half in 2nd gear. Other than one terrific save in the first half Alan Martin could have taken a deck chair out with him.

We're playing really well at the moment though and have the best forward outside the Premiership so I wouldn't unduly worry about it. Your season won't be decided by how you do against Queen of the South.

Your front line and your midfielder Harkins were superb. Good luck for the season ahead, your fans came across as a very decent bunch today. 

Guest Landan Spiv
17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

TTB doesn't turn up to pre-season games and the Clyde game: City do well. 

TTB turns up to Motherwell and QOS games...

Conclusion:

5b53b53bc53aa_illgetmycoat.jpg.ea5323ea4f309efc27d805a70e5d64f5.jpg

Stay in the pub!!!!!! Haha 

Not sure if this would have been asked before but does anyone know if financially Edinburgh are better or worse off by being promoted to L2?

With one of the criticisms of the pyramid before being L2 isn't a financially lucrative offer to make the move have Edinburgh proved or debunked that theory?

23 hours ago, Wilky1878 said:

Not sure if this would have been asked before but does anyone know if financially Edinburgh are better or worse off by being promoted to L2?

With one of the criticisms of the pyramid before being L2 isn't a financially lucrative offer to make the move have Edinburgh proved or debunked that theory?

Interesting point. I have been thinking on the other side of late since there is a very real prospect of Rovers hitting the drop at the end of this season. I think if that happened the club would be finished as financially it wouldn't be viable. But there is IMHO a real prospect of the standards being raised in the Lowland league over the next 3 years - with the possibility of established league clubs hitting the drop and teams coming up to the Lowland league improving - the prospect for the established league clubs might not be so bleak (though I wouldn't wish it on anyone).

19 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Interesting point. I have been thinking on the other side of late since there is a very real prospect of Rovers hitting the drop at the end of this season. I think if that happened the club would be finished as financially it wouldn't be viable. But there is IMHO a real prospect of the standards being raised in the Lowland league over the next 3 years - with the possibility of established league clubs hitting the drop and teams coming up to the Lowland league improving - the prospect for the established league clubs might not be so bleak (though I wouldn't wish it on anyone).

I had the same concerns when Shire were relegated to the Lowland League. It's all about living within your means and maximising income. Certainly currently there are a number of clubs who bring little or no fans to games but as time goes on we will see more clubs with support joining the league.

As a fan you just have to accept that to avoid your club going to the wall the player budget will be reduced but the standard in the lowland has improved a lot since we joined so it ain't all bad.