Edinburgh City

Quite a strange signing for me - I'm a Torquay United fan now living in Edinburgh, and never expected to see a player move from one club to the other.

He was a bit of an unknown quantity for Torquay fans when he signed six months ago, but seemed to have a decent pedigree compared to most of our other signings. It's fair to say he didn't set the world alight and was released at the end of the season, but played 16 games and held down his place in the team for most of his spell. Torquay are a mess at the moment and without a pot to piss in, so moving right down to the West Country in January to a team in the relegation zone must have been a last chance saloon to keep a professional career alive, and he's now accepted that he's going to be part-time in the future.

Great news for City, as despite not being fantastic for Torquay, he did at least hold his own in a full-time league. In recent times, it's more often to see a player go from the National League to the Prem (well, ok, just half the Motherwell side, but the success rate is quite high). The other ex-Torquay players I've seen play in Scotland - Ryan Bowman, Jayden Stockley, Anthony O'Connor - have all been in the Premiership, so it's a big signing for City to get him on a 2 year deal, aged 27. From the games I've seen in the last two seasons, I think he'll play a similar role to how Beattie was used, and will improve what's been a weak area in the side.

19 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

At this rate ECFC shouldn't have 'just' making the play-offs as goal, been doing the best business in the league so far.

Think you’re getting a bit carried away DB. One player who has played well at a higher level! And a few others who have done ok in league 2...

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You think? Still a long way away from Peterhead’s team on paper.

On paper for sure, but City is showing ambition and a proactive approach to recruitment, with a lot of business still to be done (hence 'at this rate'). Peterhead will go into the season as favourites, but I can see ECFC, Stirling, and maybe Clyde play musical chairs for second place.

@tikataka Maybe it's the dearth of signings at Berwick that have me excited about what City's doing :whistle

Edited by DutchBorderer

If we're looking at Edinburgh's business since finishing 9th, they've added a couple of run of the mill League 2 players in Stewart, Smith and Black, replaced Garcia Tena with Balatoni and replaced Shepherd with Henderson. Hardly anything to shout about, yet.

Hopefully they’ll have shepherd again.

Would be absolutely buzzing if that happened, he was tremendous for us last season, defenders were terrified of his pace and just couldn’t handle him.

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

Hopefully you're right!   :thumsup2

Sheps is a great striker,  and scored a lot of important goals for city last season.   Would be a Massive signing for us if he came back!

3 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

If we're looking at Edinburgh's business since finishing 9th, they've added a couple of run of the mill League 2 players in Stewart, Smith and Black, replaced Garcia Tena with Balatoni and replaced Shepherd with Henderson. Hardly anything to shout about, yet.

handbags.jpg.b107e224a96e7592f70603dfb3da4ba7.jpg

A quick look at the City webpage with First Team squad details (http://www.edinburghcityfc.com/list/first-team-squad/) no longer has Ashley Grimes on it - although his name was there last week.

He signed a 2-year deal at the beginning of last season.

I guess it we can take it he is moving on even though there’s been no announcement?

Thought he was a class act at Ayr during the first half of our last Championship season (2016-17). Reckon he was our best player at that time.  Admittedly there wasn't too much competition for that accolade.  Then in January there was talk of him moving elsewhere which seemed to unsettle him. Plus he seemed to be carrying an injury for most of the rest of the season. His performances from January on were reasonable enough,  but not up to his previous level. If he's injury free and back to his pre January standard then he would be a fantastic signing at league 2 level. 

Balatoni really is a great signing for this level. He played well enough for us last season and I’d imagine if his contract wasn’t up in January he would’ve still been with us but at the time we needed a shitload of centre-backs and needed to strengthen the team elsewhere.

He’s not great with the ball at his feet but he’s a real leader at the back, strong and really dominant in the air. I’d be very surprised if he’s not the best centre-back in the league.

Feel free to take Shepherd and Blues back as well btw. And we’ll through in a free Alex Harris.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Balatoni really is a great signing for this level. He played well enough for us last season and I’d imagine if his contract wasn’t up in January he would’ve still been with us but at the time we needed a shitload of centre-backs and needed to strengthen the team elsewhere.

He’s not great with the ball at his feet but he’s a real leader at the back, strong and really dominant in the air. I’d be very surprised if he’s not the best centre-back in the league.

Feel free to take Shepherd and Blues back as well btw. And we’ll through in a free Alex Harris.

is that some kind of rhyming slang? :huh: