Edinburgh City

Another proven goalscorer at this level. Squad starting to take shape nicely now. 

Very pleased with the signings too. Looks like we are doing some decent business and much earlier on this time around.

Obviously there will be more signings on the way which must surely include some central defenders, or am I missing something? I don’t see any from those left over from last season and amongst the new signings.

Many thanks for taking the time to write an honest reply. Agree that your income streams are likely to be on par with clubs like Berwick/Albion Rov/Cowdenbeath.
The reason I asked was, those clubs listed above couldn't compete with EC in terms of what they offered players this summer. Players now getting paid over 52 weeks and not 42 not helping any of us. You've signed 4 players which equates to 50% of our whole budget.
This wasn't a jealous post, I was just intrigued to see how this was being funded. Your directors/sponsors deserve huge praise for the big step forward you are taking, leaving other clubs well behind. 
Right now Peterhead/Stirling/Clyde/EC are top four for me.
Thanks again, looking forward to our trips up there again next season. 

Could be that our smaller outgoings on other expenses mean that we have a bit more to spend on the player budget, but it won't be that much more - although at our level a few thousand can be significant, and minimum wage will affect us less than some of the clubs further from the Central Belt.

I haven't been treasurer for a few years and I don't (need to) know what anyone gets now, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of our players earns more than our entire player budget when we were a Lowland League side.

A play-off position would be great, but to be honest I would be happy with a comfortable mid-table this season while we continue to consolidate in the SPFL.

Interesting fact - so far as I can tell, Edinburgh City have never been top of the table in any division of the Scottish League, even for a single day - and that goes for the pre-War Division 2 side and in post-War Division C. If we can get a good start to this season maybe I'll start to think that the consolidation might be starting.

Looking forward to our visits to yourselves again. All the best.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

31 minutes ago, Mocochinchi said:

Obviously there will be more signings on the way which must surely include some central defenders, or am I missing something? I don’t see any from those left over from last season and amongst the new signings.

I'd certainly say we're still short of 3 decent defenders.  As you say there is nothing there from last seasons team, so we need AT LEAST 2 good quality central defenders or we'll be leaking goals for fun.

Will miss big Beattie,  and also Pat organising the back line.  I'd have kept both actually...

You can believe Scrooge or you can believe the TRUTH about the club's finances brought to you by TinFoilHat Tam: Perm one of the following:

1) Committee members raked down the back of the seats in the old Loch Inn when the City Club moved there and found that's where Irvine Welsh stashed the royalties from "Trainspotting"

2) A mysterious Swiss backer is bankrolling City.
(Unlikely. He's a miserable tight fisted git who never buys a round)

3) Tam the Bam is bankrolling City.
(Unlikely. He's a miserable tight fisted git who never buys a round)

4) The committee received hush money from the Illuminati whose secret Scottish base was located under the Meadowbank pitch. The Meadowbank floodlights are actually for signalling to passing UFOs "Close Encounters" style. 

5) The Club actually are the recipients of the fortune of the late President Abacha of Nigeria. PM me your bank details for your share...

6) The Club have launched a telephone line for the public to comment on how the team bus is being driven. 

7) None of the above are in any way true. Except for Tam the Bam being a tight git. 

8 hours ago, scrooge1928 said:

The finance comes from the same as many other clubs at this level - gate money, licensing money, Scottish Cup participation, etc.  We don't have any sugar daddy.  We do have the big advantage of being based in Edinburgh, which is more attractive to many Central Belt players than having to travel three times a week to far-flung places for training and matches, so we can (sometimes) offer them a lot less money; and we don't own our own ground, which despite all the advantages that has, can also be a financial millstone.

And we are fortunate enough to have a manager who works closely with the Board and knows how much money City have to spend, and doesn't demand that the directors push the boat out.  The last player City signed that we weren't sure we could afford was Joe Mbu :thumsup2 , but that worked out rather well.  And before James McDonaugh, Gary Jardine was also closely involved with the finance side of things, and making sure that he wasn't signing players who would drag us into debt.

Both James and Gary can/could get rather testy when the suggestion goes up that City are dripping with cash.  We ain't.  Unlike Tam and Tenkay, I do have a clue about the club's finances, and I can honestly say I'd be surprised if we had a bigger income than Cowdenbeath or Berwick Rangers.

The social club must be making a fortune when the hibees are at home?

There's bound to be decent income there compared to yer last venue?

Only a matter of time till £dinburgh $ity are found out for this shameful overspending. I heard they sold Meadowbank and cashed in to sign players like Henderson and Smith on £900 a week. Have sent a letter to the City council about it. That is before we even mention the social club profits!!

Building a new stadium in the grounds of the castle is the latest rumour.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

1) Committee members raked down the back of the seats in the old Loch Inn when the City Club moved there and found that's where Irvine Welsh stashed the royalties from "Trainspotting"

Hope they were wearing thick rubber gloves, given the reputation of that place!

I'd certainly say we're still short of 3 decent defenders.  As you say there is nothing there from last seasons team, so we need AT LEAST 2 good quality central defenders or we'll be leaking goals for fun.

Will miss big Beattie,  and also Pat organising the back line.  I'd have kept both actually...

Just remembered Gareth Roger...I think he signed a 2 year deal at the beginning of last season.

Thought he improved the latter part of the season.

Still think we need another couple of central defenders at least, however.

12 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

Many thanks for taking the time to write an honest reply. Agree that your income streams are likely to be on par with clubs like Berwick/Albion Rov/Cowdenbeath.

The reason I asked was, those clubs listed above couldn't compete with EC in terms of what they offered players this summer. Players now getting paid over 52 weeks and not 42 not helping any of us. You've signed 4 players which equates to 50% of our whole budget.

This wasn't a jealous post, I was just intrigued to see how this was being funded. Your directors/sponsors deserve huge praise for the big step forward you are taking, leaving other clubs well behind. 

Right now Peterhead/Stirling/Clyde/EC are top four for me.

Thanks again, looking forward to our trips up there again next season. 

You've signed 4 players which equates to 50% of our whole budget.   - How do you know what monies have been spent to come to this conclusion?

32 minutes ago, Edinburgh City by name said:

You've signed 4 players which equates to 50% of our whole budget.   - How do you know what monies have been spent to come to this conclusion?

It's a small world and players talk. Just maybe we were in for the same players.  Fair play to you for showing ambition. 

3 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

It's a small world and players talk. Just maybe we were in for the same players.  Fair play to you for showing ambition. 

Fair play to you for believing what footballers say. Fair play.

I love the yellow/gold being added, nice nod to the past for sure, but otherwise, I think I quite preferred the old one. Fair play to the board for looking forward though, I'm sure we'll all get used to it.

Now where is the fookin' kit?!

Edit; by the by, I've noticed Footbal lnation ran out of replica's (except for the XXL size) of the 2017/2018 home shirt. Would someone at the club or supporters club know if there's a smaller size one knocking about somewhere I can buy?

Edited by DutchBorderer

Guest Landan Spiv
49 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I love the yellow/gold being added, nice nod to the past for sure, but otherwise, I think I quite preferred the old one. Fair play to the board for looking forward though, I'm sure we'll all get used to it.

Now where is the fookin' kit?!

Edit; by the by, I've noticed Footbal lnation ran out of replica's (except for the XXL size) of the 2017/2018 home shirt. Would someone at the club or supporters club know if there's a smaller size one knocking about somewhere I can buy?

I'll ask about for you mate. Or reply to one of the mass e mails I've sent out and see if anyone replies to that. Probs quickest way of getting what ya looking for amongst the supporters club. Hope ya find one. 

12 minutes ago, Landan Spiv said:

I'll ask about for you mate. Or reply to one of the mass e mails I've sent out and see if anyone replies to that. Probs quickest way of getting what ya looking for amongst the supporters club. Hope ya find one. 

Cheerio, I've the 16/17 one, might as well get 17/18 and build a lil' City-in-the-SFL collection

On a different note, how closely related are the supporters club and ECFC proper?

2 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Guess that’s your new badge then 

A650E933-277F-4E9D-AD7E-A4D776AB94B0.jpeg

looks a bit like a sandcastle but it's not as bad as I feared it might be.

I actually had an idea for a design for a badge which I might get round to drawing and posting on here....

8 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

The new kit.... I'm not sure what I expected, bit more black and/or yellow I suppose, surely it will be worn with black shorts, yes? It's the same template as East Fife will use for their away top, Dumbarton too.

5b1aaf1b57b71_34771902_216177685651687_804172827346337792_n1.thumb.jpg.c330f0ed3d6fdd84e04d655dcdb739dc.jpg5b1aaf2d108c4_34752582_216177558985033_7968366912037978112_n1.thumb.jpg.f6f88fe35ae9761760636d81a3f2a5ea.jpg

Since the picture has the players with white shorts I would presume there will be no black shorts.

Guest Landan Spiv
1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Cheerio, I've the 16/17 one, might as well get 17/18 and build a lil' City-in-the-SFL collection

On a different note, how closely related are the supporters club and ECFC proper?

The club endorses the supporters club and is there to help out with advice when we ask  Other than that we are self sufficient. A very strong relationship though so far and long may it continue