Edinburgh City

5 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

I know Gary Jardine did a fantastic job, but still think that blog comes across very bitter.

Maybe it does get the impression he's not happy and Mickey will know most of those in the dug out and who run the in club in its non league days. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

2 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Either do I and I'm not going to pretend I do. But how can a club lose its identity for changing the back room staff? We've changed back room staff over the years, does that mean we lost our identity?

A £13 payer would probably see where his / her SPFL clubs identity came from in a different way. Rarely really knowing any of the actual people involved in playing with or running a club. Especially at City where those involved were the heart and soul of the club. 

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I just wonder about all this "the club's changed". Hmm..

When I first watched City Martin went out with a shovel and bucket to pick the dug shite off the Fernieside pitch before a game and you had to take down the goalposts after the game and put them away on top of the wee changing tin hut thing. 
The club changed when we moved to Meadowbank Stadium. 
Then the club changed when we got into the Scottish Cup. It changed when we appointed each new managed who brought their own players and ideas. 
It changed when we brought the Glenpark Youth set-up on board and had a youth team for the first time.
It changed when Tam Steven came in with a lot of new players. 
It changed when we challenged for and then won the East of Scotland League for the first time after being mid-table also rans for many seasons. 
It changed when club licensing was brought in and the Lowland League was formed. 
It changed at the final whistle of the Shire play-off match when we were suddenly a Scottish Football League club. 
It changed when we stayed up after a season in the SPFL.  
It changed when we had to leave Meadowbank.
It changed when Alick found some shekels down the back of his sofa and was able to produce a bumper colour edition of the programme for the first time. 

It will again change when a new manager comes in. 

Did yous no use other parks than Fernieside as well Tam? 

57 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Did yous no use other parks than Fernieside as well Tam? 

In before HJ :P

Original City: Powderhall Stadium, Marine Gardens (where the Seafield bus garage is now), City Park.

Revived City: Paties Road, Frogston,  Saughton Enclosure (sometimes), Fernieside, Meadowbank, borrowed City Park and Ainslie Park on occasion and I think Fergie Park and Netherdale IIRC. We also  won the First Division title in 1996 after our "home" game against Easthouses at Riccarton.

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Mac's gone now so it's almost a clean sweep of backroom staff. So who to bring in? I really don't know but I'm not sure the options out there are great. There will be the usual suspects who've been round the houses applying I would imagine (JC?), there may be reserve or youth team coaches at other teams who fancy a crack at management (Dave McKay seems to have done not bad with the Binos so far).  But it'll have to be the right appointment in that I don't want an old has-been nor do I want a wet behind the ears raw talent. And there aren't too many good managers out there who aren't in a job already. 

So, Jim Jefferies is quoted in the Sun today saying he has no intention of going back in the dugout. That leaves the door wide open then . I agree with Tam. Forget all the old SPFL has-beens out there (Sorry JC).

Last season while out injured,  Craig Beattie hinted at an aspiration of  being  a football manager some day. Now I don't know if Craig already  has the coaching  badges required for the job and I don't know how long it takes to acquire them all but you've got to think that he'll have prepared himself for this kind of scenario just in case.  The City players sang his praises last season as being inspirational. Perhaps he's  a little too 'wet behind the ears raw talent' for some's liking but for my money Craig Beattie makes the perfect fit for the task in hand right now.   Vote for Beattie - Edinburgh City's Inspiring Manager! 

The City players sang his praises last season as being inspirational. Perhaps he's  a little too 'wet behind the ears raw talent' for some's liking but for my money Craig Beattie makes the perfect fit for the task in hand right now.   Vote for Beattie - Edinburgh City's Inspiring Manager! 

Tbf Mackay had no real experience when we hired him and he's done a terrific job. It's a massive gamble but I reckon Beattie would be an alright choice. Certainly better than that old clogger Jeffries.

8 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Tbf Mackay had no real experience when we hired him and he's done a terrific job. It's a massive gamble but I reckon Beattie would be an alright choice. Certainly better than that old clogger Jeffries.

I think I might just stick £50 on Beattie being the next City manager. I wonder when Ladbrokes will open a book on it?

So, Jim Jefferies is quoted in the Sun today saying he has no intention of going back in the dugout. That leaves the door wide open then . I agree with Tam. Forget all the old SPFL has-beens out there (Sorry JC).

Last season while out injured,  Craig Beattie hinted at an aspiration of  being  a football manager some day. Now I don't know if Craig already  has the coaching  badges required for the job and I don't know how long it takes to acquire them all but you've got to think that he'll have prepared himself for this kind of scenario just in case.  The City players sang his praises last season as being inspirational. Perhaps he's  a little too 'wet behind the ears raw talent' for some's liking but for my money Craig Beattie makes the perfect fit for the task in hand right now.   Vote for Beattie - Edinburgh City's Inspiring Manager! 

Would be okay with Beattie getting a chance as long as it wasn't just Jeffries pulling the strings. If nothing else it would be cool to have a player/manger that played DC/ST

I think this is a pretty decent shout and it's worth looking into. Beattie was well respected during a brief stint coaching at Forthbank and talking to a number of players who were involved at the time, he was highly regarded.

Everyone has to start somewhere, so why not?

So when are we thinking the manager will be announced?   Maybe today? 

I see the CV's had to be in by 12 noon today so maybe an announcement this weekend?

I don't even know who the likely candidates are, as neither Ladbrokes or Wullie Hills have issued "Next Manager" odds as they usually do if it were  Manchester City looking for a new coach.

My guess would be Ancelotti or big Sam to Ainslie Park.

Edited by Tenkay

So when are we thinking the manager will be announced?   Maybe today? 
I see the CV's had to be in by 12 noon today so maybe an announcement this weekend?
I don't even know who the likely candidates are, as neither Ladbrokes or Wullie Hills have issued "Next Manager" odds as they usually do if it were  Manchester City looking for a new coach.
My guess would be Ancelotti or big Sam to Ainslie Park.

I'd imagine they'd have to interview first?

Does David Moyes fancy coming home? [emoji1]

9 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

I'd imagine they'd have to interview first?

Does David Moyes fancy coming home? emoji1.png

well, he did have the occasional pint in the old City Club...

moyes.jpg.6c936e3908b4f17a8faad150a8365c8c.jpg

Spoiler

the hard b*****d ex Meadowbank and Berwick David Moyes that is...