Edinburgh City

So looks as if it will be Jim Jeffries and his wee pal Billy Brown on either side of a relegation dogfight. Say what you want about lower league Scottish football but it delivers the big storylines again and again.

10 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

So looks as if it will be Jim Jeffries and his wee pal Billy Brown on either side of a relegation dogfight. Say what you want about lower league Scottish football but it delivers the big storylines again and again.

Rumour is Jim Jeffries is going to take Billy Brown to Ainslie Park as his assistant.

I just made that rumour up in hope.

10 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Great to see all the lads landing on their feet. 

_47291083_jefferies-brown-locke_466b.jpg

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:07, Leonard-Spencer said:

Concerning??? The writing has been on the wall at the club with the "new structure and board". Absolutely no connection to clubs ethos and what made them the club the are. Complete shambles. Hope they get what they deserve.....

what is the club's ethos? I don't remember we had one apart from finishing 7th in the East of Scotland/LL most seasons and losing every cup final we could to Spartans... :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Great piece of writing Mr Lawson.  R.I.P.  Mr Blobby! :bairnbut,

I wonder what those old Thistle supporters still involved with the club are thinking these days? They could come along to Almondvale on a Sunday morning and watch my laddie.  (Now that line is taking the Mickey, lol) 

Mr Blobby revels in Edinburgh City debut with former Meadowbank Thistle and Spartans manager Mickey Lawson ina  cameo role  .jpg

Edited by Department S
Mickey in a cameo role during Edinburgh City's opening SPFL 2 game last season .

It looks like Mickey's great white hope  Ros Mac has pulled the plug too. Via Twitter 2 hours ago : 

5197 days ago I made my debut for City. Today was the first day since then without me involved. There's been an incredible amount of highs and lows throughout my time and I was lucky to captain city in more games than anyone else, lifting our first EoS Premier Division in 2006.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Centrefold Year One Issue Twenty (2).png

Edited by Department S
Edinburgh City coaching team in happier times. They'll live on as "The Team of Everlasting Fame". Well done Gary and the lads.

I just wonder about all this "the club's changed". Hmm..

When I first watched City Martin went out with a shovel and bucket to pick the dug shite off the Fernieside pitch before a game and you had to take down the goalposts after the game and put them away on top of the wee changing tin hut thing. 
The club changed when we moved to Meadowbank Stadium. 
Then the club changed when we got into the Scottish Cup. It changed when we appointed each new managed who brought their own players and ideas. 
It changed when we brought the Glenpark Youth set-up on board and had a youth team for the first time.
It changed when Tam Steven came in with a lot of new players. 
It changed when we challenged for and then won the East of Scotland League for the first time after being mid-table also rans for many seasons. 
It changed when club licensing was brought in and the Lowland League was formed. 
It changed at the final whistle of the Shire play-off match when we were suddenly a Scottish Football League club. 
It changed when we stayed up after a season in the SPFL.  
It changed when we had to leave Meadowbank.
It changed when Alick found some shekels down the back of his sofa and was able to produce a bumper colour edition of the programme for the first time. 

It will again change when a new manager comes in. 

A not so drunk man looks at the City: 

I'd have kept Gary on, he's sweated blood for the club and proved last year that he can turn things around. Perhaps he became, to use that old cliche, a victim of his own success. 

The disappointing thing is, and this might be the players' problem rather than the former managers, that we stayed up with a lot of players who had only ever had East of Scotland or Lowland League experience. And with a couple of acute signings and perhaps a bit of luck in getting Porteous on loan and him turning out to be a class act, they proved they could stay up.  

You'd like to think, in terms of Scottish League experience and previous clubs played for, that this City team were the best on paper ever and plainly they don't seem to be. at the moment The defence have lost some appalling goals, I'd like to see the stats for passes successfully completed from midfield because I doubt they're very high, possession is often too easily lost, up front we've scored 5 goals so far in the League and three of them came in the one match.  The penalty apart, the two goals that Stenny strikers scored on Saturday for example, you begin to wonder if those were chances at the other end whether any City striker would have scored those.  I don't think the current team are irredeemably shite , in fact on paper they could be pretty good, but they'll have to step up a bit to avoid finishing bottom.

Mac's gone now so it's almost a clean sweep of backroom staff. So who to bring in? I really don't know but I'm not sure the options out there are great. There will be the usual suspects who've been round the houses applying I would imagine (JC?), there may be reserve or youth team coaches at other teams who fancy a crack at management (Dave McKay seems to have done not bad with the Binos so far).  But it'll have to be the right appointment in that I don't want an old has-been nor do I want a wet behind the ears raw talent. And there aren't too many good managers out there who aren't in a job already. 

I've read that blog twice now and all I have taken from it is that Mickey is very bitter about Edinburgh City.

Obviously Edinburgh City have had to change, they're a bloody SPFL club now, not a diddy EoS club.

7 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

I've read that blog twice now and all I have taken from it is that Mickey is very bitter about Edinburgh City.

Obviously Edinburgh City have had to change, they're a bloody SPFL club now, not a diddy EoS club.

I think your missing the point they weren't a 'diddy EoS club' Gary turned them into a totally dominant Lowland League side, got them up and kept them up. Annan as the example used have kept their identity and lots of the same bodies behind the scenes. 

I think your missing the point they weren't a 'diddy EoS club' Gary turned them into a totally dominant Lowland League side, got them up and kept them up. Annan as the example used have kept their identity and lots of the same bodies behind the scenes. 

I know Gary Jardine did a fantastic job, but still think that blog comes across very bitter.

2 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

I know Gary Jardine did a fantastic job, but still think that blog comes across very bitter.

Agreed. I know nothing of Edinburgh City's backroom staff so I'll happily accept I'm maybe not seeing it out of ignorance on my part, but he doesn't explain why exactly the backroom staff changing constitutes an overhaul of the identity of the club and if so why that's necessarily a bad thing. Long-serving staff members and volunteers move on then clubs replace them and adapt, that's just a fact of football at every level of the game.

Agreed. I know nothing of Edinburgh City's backroom staff so I'll happily accept I'm maybe not seeing it out of ignorance on my part, but he doesn't explain why exactly the backroom staff changing constitutes an overhaul of the identity of the club and if so why that's necessarily a bad thing. Long-serving staff members and volunteers move on then clubs replace them and adapt, that's just a fact of football at every level of the game.

Either do I and I'm not going to pretend I do. But how can a club lose its identity for changing the back room staff? We've changed back room staff over the years, does that mean we lost our identity?

1 hour ago, JakeSAFC said:

Either do I and I'm not going to pretend I do. But how can a club lose its identity for changing the back room staff? We've changed back room staff over the years, does that mean we lost our identity?

no. you're still b*****ds :P