Edinburgh City

While I'm busy working on Pages 8 and 9 of the City Fanzine Review, Ladbrokes did their own Edinburgh City Review of the Year. They had Cowdenbeath's ground down as Station Park before I tweeted them their misteke.:thumbsdown :bairn.Not the kind of typing error you'd find in The Blue Brazilian I'll have you know :whistle  "One B in Stobie, There's only one B in Stobie, One B in Stobie, There's only one B in Stobie" :thumsup2

Great shot they have of Meadowbank Stadium though. Shame the council have to pull it down really. Maybe we could have another 'Save Meadowbank Campaign' when City move out. It worked in 2007. I'm sure Leith Athletic would jump at the chance to take up the baton. We could even get Colin McPherson to photograph a march when he gets back from being On Her Majesty's Service in Malawi.

Ladbrokes have also got the wrong badge for Edinburgh City on their header page too.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/spfl/scottish-league-two/5-key-games-which-helped-secure-edinburgh-citys-survival.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sports&utm_campaign=news_football_They can finally breathe a sigh of relief. We look back at games that were key to_BB

Edited by Mr Blobby
Pages 8 and 9 of the Edinburgh City Fanzine Final Issue will slot in here and replace the Ladbrokes Edinburgh City Review you see above. It's going to be pretty shit, so you'll probably all forget to scroll back when I finally get round to publishing it.

Joe Mbu steps out on to the park at Meadowbank on Saturday and it will be his 100th game for Edinburgh City. Joe notched up 99 appearances for City in the match against Annan last Saturday. So.... not trying to pick the team or anything like that but wouldn't it be fitting, with Dougie Gair giving up next season and going to Dubai, letting Joe (The fans' Edinburgh City Player of the Year) have the captain's band and lead out the team at Meadowbank for the final time in a couple of days time. Joe's newly released song has just gone straight in at number one in the Edinburgh City Top 100 songs at Meadowbank.

"He's big, he's strong, he's got a hundred going on, Joe Mbu, Joe Mbu". Repeat 20 times after that. (Adds up to Joe's number - 21. Anyone know why 21 by the way?)

Edited by Mr Blobby

8 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

While I'm busy working on Pages 8 and 9 of the City Fanzine Review, Ladbrokes did their own Edinburgh City Review of the Year. They had Cowdenbeath's ground down as Station Park before I tweeted them their misteke.:thumbsdown :bairn.Not the kind of typing error you'd find in The Blue Brazilian I'll have you know :whistle  "One B in Stobie, There's only one B in Stobie, One B in Stobie, There's only one B in Stobie" :thumsup2

Great shot they have of Meadowbank Stadium though. Shame the council have to pull it down really. Maybe we could have another 'Save Meadowbank Campaign' when City move out. It worked in 2007. I'm sure Leith Athletic would jump at the chance to take up the baton. We could even get Colin McPherson to photograph a march when he gets back from being On Her Majesty's Service in Malawi.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/spfl/scottish-league-two/5-key-games-which-helped-secure-edinburgh-citys-survival.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sports&utm_campaign=news_football_They can finally breathe a sigh of relief. We look back at games that were key to_BB

Bit of a difference getting the name of a ground wrong from spelling someone's name wrong Mr B:lol: I'll have to a good look at your fanzine for spelling mistakes (if any):P

Are you continuing with the fanzine next season - you can rename it Go And Ask the Spartans (For a loan of their ground):P

6 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Joe Mbu steps out on to the park at Meadowbank on Saturday and it will be his 100th game for Edinburgh City. Joe notched up 99 appearances for City in the match against Annan last Saturday. So.... not trying to pick the team or anything like that but wouldn't it be fitting, with Dougie Gair giving up next season and going to Dubai, letting Joe (The fans' Edinburgh City Player of the Year) have the captain's band and lead out the team at Meadowbank for the final time in a couple of days time. Joe's newly released song has just gone straight in at number one in the Edinburgh City Top 100 songs at Meadowbank.

"He's big, he's strong, he's got a hundred going on, Joe Mbu, Joe Mbu". Repeat 20 times after that. (Adds up to Joe's number - 21. Anyone know why 21 by the way?)

Well done to Joe. I would say a tough one re the captain's idea a good one given Joe's 100th app but also it will be Dougie's last home game after 13 years at City so would also be fitting for him to lead the side out one last time at home, A tough one!

Re the no 21 he maybe chose that number no idea why.

Edited by cowdenbeath

I may have been "whooshed"... but the story I was told was that when he joined, City didn't have a bespoke kit deal, he needed an 'oversize', and the only such in the set was the last (#21). That was a while ago when still in LL, but if it's true I suppose he'd have stuck to the number. Either that or I've just inadvertently committed casual sizeism...

Will he be retiring?

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Bit of a difference getting the name of a ground wrong from spelling someone's name wrong Mr B:lol: I'll have to a good look at your fanzine for spelling mistakes (if any):P

Are you continuing with the fanzine next season - you can rename it Go And Ask the Spartans (For a loan of their ground):P

I did draft a spoof, Year Two -. Edinburgh City Fanzine for Ainslie Park next season back in January. The working title was "Absent Without Leave - Incorporating Go Tell The Spartans" as opposed to the abomination abbreviation AWOL The AWOL graffiti on the wall is supposed to be on the whitewashed wall outside Meadowbank outside the players and officials entrance. I did take a photograph of the actual wall outside Meadowbank and tried it in the new fanzine design but somehow the one in the picture you see here below, which was taken off the internet and doctored, was just a tad better than the real thing so I went with that.

Sadly I won't be joining Edinburgh City on their journey to the promised land - returning to their spiritual home in Pilton after being kicked out of City Park by Edinburgh City Council all those years ago in the 50s (Ainslie Park is just a stone's throw from the ground where City Park used to be, I believe).

We're off on our new 'secret shoppers' project next season going under cover at Edinburgh Capitals for a match day fan experience. 

Spoiler

But don't tell anyone or we'll never get a story out of them worth telling :bairn. It's a similar, but not quite the same, comparison story that we did with Edinburgh City and Meadowbank Thistle/Livingston FC/AFC Wimbledon/Milton Keynes Dons but this time looking at the demise of Murrayfield Racers and the rise of Edinburgh capitals. It'll be the same match day experience but with Ice Hockey replacing football in season 2018.

Already pencilled in is: - Edinburgh Monarchs match day fan experience 2019. - Edinburgh Rugby match day experience 2020.  Speedway at East Fortune Racing Circuit match day experience 2021.  Then maybe back to Meadowbank to see what's occurring there in 2022

Working Title for New Edinburgh City Fanzine for Ainslie Park..jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
Mr Blobby just had to get in the picture there. See if you can spot him. Mr Blobby will be making a final appearance supporting the candidate club colours in the play-off finals. Who's it gonna be?

13 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

HaHa... It's always easier to find other peoples' mistakes. That's why the Edinburgh City fanzine has a spelling mistake competition. It's been continuous since Issue One. I pretend to put deliberate typos in and when anybody finds one, they can email me and win a prize. (And people have done in the past when I advertised the fact)

See Issue 3 below and our 'Spot the Balls Up Competition'. Bottom left hand corner of page.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 4 and 5 Year One Issue Three.jpg

Has Riordan left the club.   

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I may have been "whooshed"... but the story I was told was that when he joined, City didn't have a bespoke kit deal, he needed an 'oversize', and the only such in the set was the last (#21). That was a while ago when still in LL, but if it's true I suppose he'd have stuck to the number. Either that or I've just inadvertently committed casual sizeism...

Will he be retiring?

The Evening News had an article a few weeks ago which said that he was going for surgery at the end of the season on his knee, which he has been putting off for a while.  The same article also quoted him saying that he was keeping the option open of playing next season.  Here's a link - http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/edinburgh-city/veteran-edinburgh-city-defender-joe-mbu-may-delay-retirement-1-4416349

I hope he does.  He's been first class for City this season.

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Will he be retiring?

I heard the story about him having the bigger top, there's also a Spartans player the same who has a squad number one of the defenders can't remember what one. He played in the Cup Final at the Oriam a few weeks back.

16 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Sadly I won't be joining Edinburgh City on their journey to the promised land - returning to their spiritual home in Pilton after being kicked out of City Park by Edinburgh City Council all those years ago in the 50s (Ainslie Park is just a stone's throw from the ground where City Park used to be, I believe).

We're off on our new 'secret shoppers' project next season going under cover at Edinburgh Capitals for a match day fan experience. 

Reveal hidden contents

But don't tell anyone or we'll never get a story out of them worth telling :bairn. It's a similar, but not quite the same, comparison story that we did with Edinburgh City and Meadowbank Thistle/Livingston FC/AFC Wimbledon/Milton Keynes Dons but this time looking at the demise of Murrayfield Racers and the rise of Edinburgh capitals. It'll be the same match day experience but with Ice Hockey replacing football in season 2018.

Already pencilled in is: - Edinburgh Monarchs match day fan experience 2019. - Edinburgh Rugby match day experience 2020.  Speedway at East Fortune Racing Circuit match day experience 2021.  Then maybe back to Meadowbank to see what's occurring there in 2022

Sad to see your not continuing the 'journey'. Aye old City Park is just near enough across the road other side of Morrisons. The new flats that are now there are called City Park.

IMHO fanzine issue should have been called Mr Bismarck's Electric Blobby... :rolleyes:

do you know you can get a Bismarck teddy bear.. the world is a strange place... I look forward to the Disraeli Doll and the Gladstone Gonk myself... 

otto.jpg.4d16db8d6d4c42b24c600ae2d1767a68.jpg

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

IMHO fanzine issue should have been called Mr Bismarck's Electric Blobby... :rolleyes:

do you know you can get a Bismarck teddy bear.. the world is a strange place... I look forward to the Disraeli Doll and the Gladstone Gonk myself... 

otto.jpg.4d16db8d6d4c42b24c600ae2d1767a68.jpg

Thanks for your input TTB (in the nick of time... again). You do realise of course that I still have Page 9 to complete and am already in the process of looking for an image and subtitle to go with the page heading, "The Long Arm of Jah". :whistle

Spoiler

I'm not sure if I'm going to publish the Pages 8 and 9 on Pie and Bovril before the game although the BIG CHEESE has given it the OK.

Edited by Mr Blobby
That picture reminds me of someone. Hmm The Edinburgh city photographer at the end of the game at Meadowbank walking around with the corner flag.