Edinburgh City

Congratulations to Andrew Stobie for winning Ladbrokes Player of the Month. By coincidence Andrew is our PIn Up next week.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Back Page and Front Cover Year One Issue Thirteen.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
Some eagle-eyed readers may be able to pick out two former Meadowbank Thistle Brake Club members in the stand

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Hopefully the game will go ahead on Saturday. Mr Blobby has dug out his shovel tonight to help clear the snow off the pitch at central park ... 

Mr Blobby out with his snow shovel.JPG

Doesn't look good for Saturday. Don't think a shovel will be much use. The snow has already turned into a rock solid ice layer.

6 minutes ago, PELE said:

Doesn't look good for Saturday. Don't think a shovel will be much use. The snow has already turned into a rock solid ice layer.

Thanks for the update. That's bad news - was really looking forward to this visit. Missed it first time around. Overnight frost was forecast for Friday too.

I wrote this on my profile page today. It's, the story so far, kind of thing.

Our Motto: "Let 2016/17 be the season where you perform the ‘reverse-Trump’: let’s take down the walls and build some bridges".

The half way stage in the Scottish League 2 is a fitting place to take stock, as the nights draw in, the cold weather begins to bite and games are inevitably called off. It seems such a long time ago now since we took up the Mark Bradley Fan Experience Challenge and became mystery fans in July 2016.

See here  http://bradleyprojects.com/blog.php?id=62 and here http://bradleyprojects.com/blog.php?id=67 for some explanations.

Mark sent us all the tools we needed to build up a persona and left the rest to our imagination. We picked newly promoted Edinburgh City FC in Scottish League 2 and took the unusual decision to follow them, not for just a few games - as is the case in most Mark Bradley Fan Experience Projects, but for the whole of the season in 2016/17.

Having read through 'Ten Ways To Grow Attendances' we focused on item Number 9 - Be Different. '

'So what makes your club unique? Is it an aspect of the club’s history, the industrial heritage of the town, a local food item or a story? I recall AFC Telford United celebrating the local village of Dawley by resurrecting connected icons (Captain Webb, Fatty Foulkes, George Cadbury and the Pig on the Wall – don’t ask) and featuring them on that match day. Lewes FC does it through imaginative promotional posters and a match day experience aligned to something much more abstract than a simple game of football, but few others even consider this. If you’re not going to be sweeping all before you on the pitch, then what’s making you different off it? Make 2016/17 the year you discover niche marketing.'

Edinburgh City FC had a lot going for it in the 'unique' department. It was a relatively new club with a small fan base working out of the large Meadowbank Stadium, the venue for two previous Commonwealth Games competitions - not to mention events like the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977 and various concerts and gatherings. There was also the loose connection with a team formally known as Meadowbank Thistle and all the history that went with it, like Mr Blobby and the club's fanzines.

So what better than to start our journey in the Betfred Scottish League Cup Group stage on Wednesday 20 July 2016 at 19:45 in the Meadowbank Sports Centre. Edinburgh City v Livingston - the Scottish equivalent of AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons. We took along a blow-up Mr Blobby and the idea of creating a fanzine for Edinburgh City germinated when we accidentally met 4 former Meadowbank Thistle fans outside the stadium - David Baxter, Colin McPherson and two who's names are as yet unknown to me. The 0-3 result was the start of a losing streak that went on for some considerable time for Edinburgh City until a 1-1 draw away to Stirling Albion on 10th September brought some relief. Two more draws followed. 1-1 away to Annan Athletic on 24th September and a 3-3 home draw with Arbroath at Meadowbank on 1st October. But it was not until Edinburgh City beat Forfar 1-0 in the Scottish Cup on 1st November at Station Park that they recorded their first win of the season and then went on an unbeaten run that saw them soar up the League table winning plaudits, and awards, as they went.

The saga continues at Central Park, Cowdenbeath on Saturday. (Weather permitting)

Edited by Mr Blobby

13 hours ago, Edinburgh City by name said:

I bet you this is the first time the words Andrew Stobie and " pin up " have ever been used in the same sentence.

I think you're right. In Issue 5 on the 1st October for the game against Arbroath (3-3), Stobie was featured in the player profiles page but referred to as "In the Picture" and Nico Gibson, who we spoke to last Saturday after the match against Arbroath (0-2), was "In Focus".

The term "Pin Up" like the others mentioned above are all derived from Meadowbank Thistle Fanzines of yore. "Pin Up" being the preferred title for player profiles in Mr Bismarck's Electric Pickelhaube. (Berwick Rangers manager John Coughlin being the most memorable "Pin Up"  in Issue 2 with the story of his stag do and the case of the ******.)

As a footnote on striker Nico Gibson. Nico tells us he'll probably be out of action until March, as he banged into a cabinet at work and damaged his knee.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 8 and 5 Year One Issue Five (2).jpg

Nico would get injured tripping over thin air at this rate, At least he's confirmed the month he is due back but did he confirm the year. TBF it's pretty interesting speaking to him as you learn all about injurys that you never thought possible, I think even the quacks need to look things up when Nico visits them. Good guy tho

23 minutes ago, Edinburgh City by name said:

Nico would get injured tripping over thin air at this rate, At least he's confirmed the month he is due back but did he confirm the year. TBF it's pretty interesting speaking to him as you learn all about injurys that you never thought possible, I think even the quacks need to look things up when Nico visits them. Good guy tho

Nico was on the bench for the Annan and Cowdenbeath games back in November (12th and 19th). I think he was almost ready to come back after the long injury but then disappeared from view again. It was only when we spotted Nico on crutches, walking on the pitch and around the ground last Saturday that we knew something was wrong. Didn't notice any write-up about him in the Citizen. We had a chat outside the entrance but the lighting was too poor for the GoPro Session though. Only Mr Blobby could shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.

Mr Blobby interview Nico Gibson.JPG

ah.. the infamous Cough interview in MBEP. He'd just signed and was a neighbour of Dave Stoker's so we popped round to his gaff one night and interviewed him. Good guy.

Pre-season friendly at Forrester's Park between Tranent and Thistle. I was not very familiar with Junior football at the time. I see an old guy in a bunnet in the shed and think "that's good- a guy supporting his local team".

Couglin puts in a typically robust tackle right in front of the shed. The previously harmless looking and quiet auld guy comes out with the immortal words

"COUGHLIN- YA BIG NEWTONGRANGE C*NT!!!"

cast.jpg

"Don't worry Mr Gibson, you'll soon be back in training...."