Edinburgh City

As a new fan of Edinburgh City I have some questions to those of you who been with them from many years.

Has the arrival of Beattie made a big change to the way City play? The games I watched City play towards the end of last season and this season's League Cup games (all pre arrival of Beattie and against higher league teams) City were a team who at least tried to play a passing game 'on the deck' as it were.

However with the arrival of Beattie, the preferred option appears now to be punt the ball up the park to him with the hope that something will come of it. It was that way against Forfar and also yesterday against Elgin.

It was noticeable the difference against Forfar when he was subbed off. City began playing better with more movement up front and keeping the ball on the ground (second goal an example of that).

I appreciate that League 2 is different from what City have faced before and maybe new tactics are needed but I'm still to be convinced of the 'punt and rush' style that has been employed in the first two games this season.

Although I admit, as a new fan, that I could well be talking nonsense!

2 hours ago, Mocochinchi said:

As a new fan of Edinburgh City I have some questions to those of you who been with them from many years.

Has the arrival of Beattie made a big change to the way City play? The games I watched City play towards the end of last season and this season's League Cup games (all pre arrival of Beattie and against higher league teams) City were a team who at least tried to play a passing game 'on the deck' as it were.

However with the arrival of Beattie, the preferred option appears now to be punt the ball up the park to him with the hope that something will come of it. It was that way against Forfar and also yesterday against Elgin.

It was noticeable the difference against Forfar when he was subbed off. City began playing better with more movement up front and keeping the ball on the ground (second goal an example of that).

I appreciate that League 2 is different from what City have faced before and maybe new tactics are needed but I'm still to be convinced of the 'punt and rush' style that has been employed in the first two games this season.

Although I admit, as a new fan, that I could well be talking nonsense!

My wife, who watches a lot more football than me, kind of agrees with what you say there. She called Beattie "a lump" in the middle of the park and City's performance much improved when he went off, albeit much too late to make any difference to the score in the Forfar game. Another visiting fan said Mbu, although not available for the Elgin match needs to get in the box for crosses and the long throws. Jordan Caddow was good with his runs on the right into space outside the penalty box at the Forfar game but I see he was on the bench and didn't play at Elgin. Local Elgin journo Craig Christie said on Twitter, " A much changed @EdinburghCityFC side at Elgin with just 5 survivors in starting line up from team who lost their league opener v Forfar. Three goals in 8 minutes for rampant home side.  They're a physical bunch these lads from the capital. Dunsmore & McKee both in the book for late challenges, now 7 Edinburgh yellows"

The way I see it from a punter's point of view is that we (City) have a very large equally talented squad compared to the others in League 2. Any 11 players from 26 will do really, whereas the other teams have probably worked out their best 11, months ago. Give it another game with experimenting at Cowdenbeath away next weekend and let's get our best core 11 on the pitch from the start at home to Berwick Rangers on the 27th August and keep the momentum going from there. All is not lost

After-thought. I'm not calling for Gary Jardine's head or for him to be replaced. It's too early for that but if Berwick Rangers manager John Coughlin upped sticks and headed to the capital, I'd say he's the right man for the job right now. Maybe someone could have a quiet word in his ear to see if he was up for the challenge at some point in the near future?

Edited by Mr Blobby
Afterthought That I should probably have kept to myself. Hey Ho.

My wife, who watches a lot more football than me, kind of agrees with what you say there. She called Beattie "a lump" in the middle of the park and City's performance much improved when he went off, albeit much too late to make any difference to the score in the Forfar game. Another visiting fan said Mbu, although not available for the Elgin match needs to get in the box for crosses and the long throws. Jordan Caddow was good with his runs on the right into space outside the penalty box at the Forfar game but I see he was on the bench and didn't play at Elgin. Local Elgin journo Craig Christie said on Twitter, " A much changed @EdinburghCityFC side at Elgin with just 5 survivors in starting line up from team who lost their league opener v Forfar. Three goals in 8 minutes for rampant home side.  They're a physical bunch these lads from the capital. Dunsmore & McKee both in the book for late challenges, now 7 Edinburgh yellows"

The way I see it from a punter's point of view is that we (City) have a very large equally talented squad compared to the others in League 2. Any 11 players from 26 will do really, whereas the other teams have probably worked out their best 11, months ago. Give it another game with experimenting at Cowdenbeath away next weekend and let's get our best core 11 on the pitch from the start at home to Berwick Rangers on the 27th August and keep the momentum going from there. All is not lost

After-thought. I'm not calling for Gary Jardine's head or for him to be replaced. It's too early for that but if Berwick Rangers manager John Coughlin upped sticks and headed to the capital, I'd say he's the right man for the job right now. Maybe someone could have a quiet word in his ear to see if he was up for the challenge at some point in the near future?

Elgin were pretty impressive in the first half. Strong, fast and powerful up front. Striker called Gunn caused a whole lot of problems.

I'm hopeful for the rest of the season. City have players who are not out of place for League 2.

I just wonder if having Beattie who lacks movement up front (that's putting it nicely) is pushing City into a style of play which doesn't suit the rest of the team and is much easier to defend against.

Anyway...

Looking forward to the trip to Cowdenbeath on Saturday.

How many games is Mbu suspended for?

50 minutes ago, Mocochinchi said:

Elgin were pretty impressive in the first half. Strong, fast and powerful up front. Striker called Gunn caused a whole lot of problems.

I'm hopeful for the rest of the season. City have players who are not out of place for League 2.

I just wonder if having Beattie who lacks movement up front (that's putting it nicely) is pushing City into a style of play which doesn't suit the rest of the team and is much easier to defend against.

Anyway...

Red card for punch up with 4 Forfar players in the back of the net. Should miss next two games I guess, although Mbu was sent off in the Pryramid play -offs  v East Stirlingshire, so I don't know if punishment and his record are carried over from last season.

" Straight Red Cards 
... misses next 2 matches in any competition (really league, Scottish Cup, League Cup or Challenge Cup: regional cups and reserve tournaments do not count as some clubs used to re-arrange matches in them to make the player available for the 'important' game they would otherwise miss). 

Again, if you do it another time in the same competition the ban increases by 1 game, so it would be 3 matches, then 4 matches, etc.  "

EdinvForfarP1290292_zpskv6jksg0.jpg

1 hour ago, Mocochinchi said:

Anyway...

Joe got a 2 game ban, as did Cox of Forfar, he will miss out on playing at Central Park on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Red card for punch up with 4 Forfar players in the back of the net. Should miss next two games I guess, although Mbu was sent off in the Pryramid play -offs  v East Stirlingshire, so I don't know if punishment and his record are carried over from last season.

" Straight Red Cards 
... misses next 2 matches in any competition (really league, Scottish Cup, League Cup or Challenge Cup: regional cups and reserve tournaments do not count as some clubs used to re-arrange matches in them to make the player available for the 'important' game they would otherwise miss). 

Again, if you do it another time in the same competition the ban increases by 1 game, so it would be 3 matches, then 4 matches, etc.  "

EdinvForfarP1290292_zpskv6jksg0.jpg

Was looking forward to seeing Joe again, a Cowden legend.

Never got into any bother when with Cowden hardly even a yellow.

See the usual Forfar suspects involved.

3 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

That's the bright lights of a City life for you. Mbu is our rock. We missed him at Elgin and will do so again next week. It'll be no stroll in Cenrtal Park for City.

Hoping Calum Antell can keep a clean sheet this time around.

34 minutes ago, cowdenboy15 said:

I've got cowden and Edinburgh city to go up this season

Is that in your fantasy league...?

Edited by Mr Blobby
forgot question mark and didn't want to be pulled up for bad grammar

We appealed Joe Mbu's red card against Shire in the play-offs and it was rescinded.

One thing City are going to have to get used to - fast - is the "I feel a touch, I fall down" practice which only a couple of Lowland clubs were guilty of, but seems to be universal in the SPFL.  We were the second cleanest team in the Lowland League with 1 red and 62 yellows in 40 matches.  This season we have 1 red and 19 yellows in 7 matches.  Some (not all) of the bookings in the Elgin City match were ludicrous, including at least one of the Elgin yellows.  Don't go in hard if there's no need to, be aware that if a player can see your leg he will probably take the opportunity to fall over it, stop throwing the ball away if a free-kick is given.  And apparently jersey-tugging isn't misconduct in League Two if it's not too blatant.

Don't let the pics mislead you, It's Gavin "Hard Boy" Swankie that's the dastardly mastermind behind all the bloody violence.

We appealed Joe Mbu's red card against Shire in the play-offs and it was rescinded.

One thing City are going to have to get used to - fast - is the "I feel a touch, I fall down" practice which only a couple of Lowland clubs were guilty of, but seems to be universal in the SPFL.  We were the second cleanest team in the Lowland League with 1 red and 62 yellows in 40 matches.  This season we have 1 red and 19 yellows in 7 matches.  Some (not all) of the bookings in the Elgin City match were ludicrous, including at least one of the Elgin yellows.  Don't go in hard if there's no need to, be aware that if a player can see your leg he will probably take the opportunity to fall over it, stop throwing the ball away if a free-kick is given.  And apparently jersey-tugging isn't misconduct in League Two if it's not too blatant.

Maybe it's just because you don't have as much of the ball now...