Edinburgh City

18 hours ago, lowenan said:

Will the 16/17 team be better than the 15/16 team? 

Who knows. So far only a couple of signings, saw both on Thursday against Hibs, time will tell if they will make the team better, certainly not going to judge them on one game particularly one where the opposition were clearly so superior. Dean Cummings comes with a great reputation in East of Scotland circles, interested to see if he can perform at this level. 

I see in another thread we are predicted to finish last by all and sundry. That may well happen, nobody yet knows how a team that has dominated the Lowland League will do in League 2. I guess we'll find out over the coming months. We could be anything, from relegation material to title challengers. 

Like the last two seasons more than anything the players attitude and application will be key. The talent is there, with a wee bit of luck and show the kind of hunger and desire they have shown in recent years I hope we can prove LL to L2 is not the enormous jump some assume it to be.

Sure we won't win 85% of our games as we have done in the last two seasons, so mentally we need to adjust, as we will undoubtedly to a faster game in League 2. Our season might come down to how quickly the players can get up to L2 tempo, do it early and we'll be fine.

Edited by CitizenSmith

I saw City take a hiding off Hibs on Thursday. They did well in the opening and much of the second half, but were also frail and sluggish. Possibly their 4 LC sectional games will assist getting further up-to-SPFL2-speed come the start.

Incidentally programme noted these tit-bits:

* ban on unaccompanied U18s has been lifted, children can now attend on their own
* City are incorporating themselves as a limited company
* operating ground capacity at Meadowbank now around 5,000 - elsewhere states was limited to 4,625 for Thursday's friendly which was allocated turnstiles but unreserved seating
* stand turnstiles have been refurbished, seat numbering renewed and away dressing room refurbished
* they are starting a matchday club shop under the stand
* they have moved to glossy colour programmes (Thursdays was 36 pages for £2)

Edited by HibeeJibee

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I saw City take a hiding off Hibs on Thursday. They did well in the opening and much of the second half, but were also frail and sluggish. Possibly their 4 LC sectional games will assist getting further up-to-SPFL2-speed come the start.

Incidentally programme noted these tit-bits:

* ban on unaccompanied U18s has been lifted, children can now attend on their own
* City are incorporating themselves as a limited company

I'm going to sell my shares in 20 years time to a fat chancer who'll move the club to Prestonpans as East Lothian needs League football.... :whistle

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Yorkieboy said:

What are the delights in pastry like ?
Hearing you are touting them as best in class.........

Pies are quite good but a word of warning it has lots of gravy in them one false move and you will be covered in the stuff!

23 minutes ago, Jute said:

City have signed Craig Beattie and goalkeeper Calum Antell according to their twitter page.

Everyone knows of Craig Beattie, but sadly the Craig Beattie we watched last season wasn't the player we know. I'm lead to believe the guy was a big asset off the pitch but certainly on it he looked finished to me.

Good luck to him at Edinburgh City though.

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Everyone knows of Craig Beattie, but sadly the Craig Beattie we watched last season wasn't the player we know. I'm lead to believe the guy was a big asset off the pitch but certainly on it he looked finished to me.

Good luck to him at Edinburgh City though.

Clearly if it was the Beattie of old then he wouldn't have been playing for Stirling Albion. Time will tell how he gets on at Edinburgh City but I felt the lack of SPFL experience in the squad was an issue, at the very least he will bring that.

Heard Derek Riordan is hoping for a crack with you boys.  Wonder if you'll give him a go.  Clearly well past his best but could probably still more than cut it at that level.

That said him being an arse off the park could make it too much of a risk.

Heard Derek Riordan is hoping for a crack with you boys.  Wonder if you'll give him a go.  Clearly well past his best but could probably still more than cut it at that level.

The sad thing is, about 10 years ago many would have predicted Riordan & Beattie would have been important players for Scotland in 2016, racking up the caps and goals.

That said him being an arse off the park could make it too much of a risk.

No being funny but who cares what he does off the park when he's at Edinburgh city or any other club at this level. He'll always be in the limelight whether he's not playing or at city so don't see what difference it would make.

He'd be better than Beattie anyway. He's just a big lump.