Your Life - Planned or Otherwise and Key Events

No life plan.

Married my first Wife at 20, didn't work out.

Second Wife at 40, same result.

Though she wants me back two years later.

Not too keen on that.

Think I need advice from the P +B masses on that one though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No life plan.

Not too keen on that.

Do you have any lithographs of the fair maiden?

I have spent large spells of timing planning and imagining where my life may go but the largest most influential factors of my life - work girlfriend and residence have pretty much just happened.

Got picked up by an eccentric middle aged Yank and his seemingly Asain boyfriend/gimp in the middle of nowhere when hitchhiking in NZ years back. Asked me about a 10 year plan. Talk about character misreads.

Quite an enlightening exercise to write down all the turning points in your life, whether decisions, accidents, dodged bullets, random encounters, etc.

Never really made many long term plans. Even my move to Switzerland was fairly impulsive with next to no risk mitigation in place had it gone wrong. Even now I have no idea where I will be in a couple of years time, though I do see myself coming back to Scotland at some point. I think I fancy moving elsewhere in between, possibly Hong Kong if I could get a transfer there with my current employer. Would probably need to dump the missus first as there is no chance she would entertain a move that far from home.

Wanted to leave school and get a job, so left school and got a job. Wanted to get a house, so rented. Wanted to buy a house, so bought. Wanted to get a bird, so got a bird. Wanted to get engaged, so got engaged. Wanted to get married, so got married. Wanted to start a family, so had a kid. All going according to plan according to those major life events. Course, life has had hunners of unplanned changes along the way and taken some decisions away, placed others in front of me and changed things here and there, but that's the thing about life.

Think anyone who has any kind of detailed plan for the way their life is going to pan out is doomed to disappointment - in the words of some Prussian general who I can't be bothered to look up: "No plan survives contact with the enemy"

The enemy in this case being the random nature of the world - shit happens, some good, some bad and most of it shit you never saw coming.

Never had a plan, as such, but. if I knew then what I knew now, I'd do it all differently.

Just killing time before I expire now - when the time comes, they can pour some petrol on my corpse, and drop a lighted match on it.

I used to work with a lassie who was open about the fact that, more than amything, she wanted to be a 'success' - she treats every day like an Apprentice task, and, while there's no doubt that she's progressing, most people don't like her, and the most she'll ever achieve is to be a grade 9 in some corporate organisation.

Never had a life plan as such. Always wanted a settled job, to own a house, get married and have children. All of that now accomplished with a good few bumps on the way!

Hawd the bus, you're married ?

No life plan.

Not too keen on that.

Think you need to change your misleading username for a start!!

Rough idea of what I want I guess. Right now buy a new car, then buy a flat. Other than short term though, I dunno, my career path is very much set out in front of me already and is getting (sort of) worked towards daily. So there's not much to ultimately plan.

Nope had no idea what I was going to do at school or after I left, now I've got a good job, own my own home, have a nice car and I'm engaged so it's turned out okay for the most part.

If you had asked me what my life would be like 10 years ago when I left school I don't think I would have seen it like this however.

Having a life plan is just a way of explaining away the fact that you are a dull and ordinary person who does things dull and ordinary things like 'get a car' or 'get a mortgage' or 'get married'.

They would have happened anyway, cos you are dull and ordinary, its the default path in life, but sure, make out like they were aims achieved.

Having a life plan is just a way of explaining away the fact that you are a dull and ordinary person who does things dull and ordinary things like 'get a car' or 'get a mortgage' or 'get married'.

They would have happened anyway, cos you are dull and ordinary, its the default path in life, but sure, make out like they were aims achieved.

^^^ Middle aged man still living with his maw and working in Lidl type post.

As an avowed atheist I still enjoy the joke "How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans". Anyway, it seems that Life Plans aren't part of the P&B psyche.

Like I said in the OP I've never subscribed to the idea and the biggest impact on my life was taking a job in a company that I didn't realise was going belly up then starting my own business in the same sector after just 6 months. If that hadn't happened my life would have probably panned out very differently and not nearly as well.

Archived