Group C - ICT, Dundee Utd, Pars, Arbroath & Cowden

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Desert Nomad said:

Complete hiding that for the Pars, didn't see that coming. Winner take all at Tannadice on Sunday then. Gutted I can't make it.

Not really winner take all. ICT now on same points and GD as us.  I reckon they'll beat Arbroath by a bigger margin than we could beat Dunfermilne (if we beat Dunfermilne that is).  Our best bet will to be one of the best second placed teams.

3 minutes ago, Desert Nomad said:

I meant winner take all as to going through. A win for either United or Dunfermline should see them through behind Inverness.

Fair enough.  Even if Dunfermilne win I'm not sure they're guaranteed a spot as there is the possibility of a five second placed clubs finishing on 9 points (if my maths are correct).  If we win we would definitely get a place and if we win on penalties we are still in with a chance.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Anybody have any idea what the rules are for placings in this comp when tied on points?

1.  Goal difference, then

2.  Goals scored, then

3.  Quality of pies

I hope it doesn't come to the third deciding factor.

Neil M wrote:

If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) drawing of lots./ paper,stones,scissors

Bit annoying its not head to head to give us the advantage over ICT.  Next round 4 teams in Euro competition and the 4 best winners are seeded.

Not really. Head to head decided via penalties is a bit unfair. Still it should be in there ahead of drawing lots though.

1 hour ago, Desert Nomad said:

Not really. Head to head decided via penalties is a bit unfair. Still it should be in there ahead of drawing lots though.

Indeed, the game was a draw. The penalties is to decide who gets the bonus point.  Both clubs have 0 next to the L column in the table. We're rightly top as we have the joint most number of points and have more wins than United.

On 25 July 2016 at 23:09, CallumPar said:

This, along with the fact that we've been allocated the West stand (behind the goals), rather than the fair play stand as usual, has helped me to decide that I won't be going.

£15 for a league cup game that's on TV, when we're already playing there twice in the league (at £20/22 per visit), is just too much. Some fans will pay it, and I hope they enjoy their day. But my family will be saving about £70 (including fuel) by watching on tv. Already costing minimum of £160 for the league visits there. Why are they charging us more than they did Cowdenbeath, out of interest? Particularly when they're allocating us the worst seats in the stadium?

Just bought two tickets in the Main Stand for the game against Arbroath on Saturday, £10 for myself and £5 for my grandson which is really reasonable and good value for money. It cost £12 last night at Dunfermline which I also thought reasonable too.

There's probably not much point in making a separate match thread for this Saturday's ICT v Arbroath game... so will bring it up here instead. 

Arbroath missing Jimmy Scott for this one? I saw that he was red carded the other day, along with Little. 

As mentioned, ICT need to win by a greater GD than any Dundee Utd win v Dunfermline to secure top spot in the group. A bit annoying that they'll have the advantage by playing on the Sunday, but that's our own fault for requesting the game be moved to the Saturday. What's also important to consider is GD will likely decide who finishes as one of the top 4 group winners and be seeded in the next round:

Group B - St Johnstone 7 points, GD +5 Game to play = St Johnstone v Stirling Albion

Group D - Alloa 9 points, GD +7 Game to play = Raith Rovers v Alloa

Group D - Raith Rovers 8 points, GD +2 Game to play = Raith Rovers v Alloa

Group E - Partick Thistle 9 points, GD +5 Game to play = Partick Thistle v Queen's Park

Group H - Morton 8 points, GD +3 Game to play = Morton v Berwick

Rangers have secured one of the top 4 already, leaving 3 up for grabs. In order for ICT (or Dundee Utd) to qualify as a seed they may have to outscore any St Johnstone win v Stirling AND hope that one of Morton, Partick Thistle mess up. All in all, the odds are against us. 

We're also missing Ryan McCord. Imagine it will be used to give players a run out again like last nights game. I believe we will have a new centre half In on loan from United so imagine he will feature. Be a hard afternoon for us against what appears to be a very decent Inverness team. Missing Inverness again even though I'm not particularly bothered considering the circumstances.

Archived