Group D. Alloa, Cove, Montrose, Raith & County

Comfortable win for Alloa at Montrose, in control throughout and rarely tested. Excellent start with 6 points from the first 2 games and 6 goals scored and none conceded. Already it looks a much stronger team than last season. A couple of shots at higher league opposition now and nothing to lose.

Hope Bolo and the other guy are ok. 

How did Isaac look?

I thought there were signs in the Cove game that he was trying to keep things simpler, and looked more effective because of it.

Good to hear we played well again. The Ross County and Raith games will tell us a bit more about where the team is. The midfield options continue to look interesting; Goodwin, Kirkpatrick and Cawley all on the bench yesterday.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, printer said:

How did Isaac look?

I thought there were signs in the Cove game that he was trying to keep things simpler, and looked more effective because of it.

Good to hear we played well again. The Ross County and Raith games will tell us a bit more about where the team is. The midfield options continue to look interesting; Goodwin, Kirkpatrick and Cawley all on the bench yesterday.

Isaac took his goal well and it was his run and parried shot that set up Spence for the disallowed goal. Touch and movement were again an issue at times, I thought, but 2 goals in 2 games is a great start for him and hopefully will boost his confidence. With his power and pace he can certainly  bring something different to the team, it's just getting him to make the most of those assets! 

It was really encouraging to see a solid performance from the starting 11 with the aforementioned guys on the bench. Would guess a few of them will come back in for Tuesday night. No reason we can't make it a difficult evening for County.

At the risk of further enraging the Mo faithful, I didn't think the ref had a bad game at all.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Isaac took his goal well and it was his run and parried shot that set up Spence for the disallowed goal. Touch and movement were again an issue at times, I thought, but 2 goals in 2 games is a great start for him and hopefully will boost his confidence. With his power and pace he can certainly  bring something different to the team, it's just getting him to make the most of those assets! 

It was really encouraging to see a solid performance from the starting 11 with the aforementioned guys on the bench. Would guess a few of them will come back in for Tuesday night. No reason we can't make it a difficult evening for County.

At the risk of further enraging the Mo faithful, I didn't think the ref had a bad game at all.

Not the worst refereeing performance ever, but we should have had a penalty when the keeper took Fraser out in the first half, and the challenge that looks like it might have broken Bolo's leg/ankle should have been a red.

1 hour ago, groaninjock said:

Not the worst refereeing performance ever, but we should have had a penalty when the keeper took Fraser out in the first half, and the challenge that looks like it might have broken Bolo's leg/ankle should have been a red.

I didn't think it was a penalty, very half hearted shout even by the Mo players. As for the tackle, it looked to me that they both went in strongly for a 50/50 ball. Kind of challenge Bolo put in for Alloa frequently! Very unfortunate if he has broken a bone, but I didn't think it wasn't a red card tackle. 

The Alloa fans in line with the decision thought the disallowed goal should have stood. I don't know if that was the case, but I don't think the officials got much wrong yesterday. Do Montrose do highlights? That might clear it up.

Unless I missed it, I didnt see Goodwin even warming up yesterday. Probably would have only been used in an emergency, resting him up for the next 2. A certainty to come back, and I'd say Flannigan will also have his place nailed on after a good outing yesterday.

Good use of the squad by the manager yesterday. Kept the back 4 to build familiarity, shuffled the midfield pack where this is a fair bit of competition and gave Layne a start up top. I thought we were in control for most of the game yesterday and it was a comfortable win. Montrose trip excellent as usual.

I've forgotten most of yesterday's 'action' but here's some thoughts:

+ Raith's #4 looked like a decent player.

+ The #10 (with the dreadful bleached hair) reminded me of a slightly more talented, and quicker, John Baird.

+ £15 to get in to a glorified pre-season game is a bit steep.

+ The same issues I noticed at Montrose were evident again: Woods/McShane; Van Der Weg; backline not quite as organised without Davies; absence of a decent left footed wideman.

+ McEveley looked improved and does appear to have the ability to knock a pass forward. Although one too many times he gave the ball to Robertson, who then aimlessly punted it (#KeddiePunt).

3/4 players still needed for the squad.

Didn't expect us to retain the trophy but I did expect us to get out of the group stage at least!

Thought draw was fair and no problem with Raith getting the bonus point. Some tidy players, no5 a beast who wasn't troubled until Graham came on.

Our pen probably wasn't,  but we should have had one before, the ref was useless throughout. 

Cikos looked great in Hungary but had a torrid time yesterday.

First time I've seen McEveley and was impressed. 

Midge looked our best bet going forward.

Slightly concerned, although it's only July so plenty time to strengthen. 

6 hours ago, yoda said:

I've forgotten most of yesterday's 'action' but here's some thoughts:

+ Raith's #4 looked like a decent player.

+ The #10 (with the dreadful bleached hair) reminded me of a slightly more talented, and quicker, John Baird.

+ £15 to get in to a glorified pre-season game is a bit steep.

+ The same issues I noticed at Montrose were evident again: Woods/McShane; Van Der Weg; backline not quite as organised without Davies; absence of a decent left footed wideman.

+ McEveley looked improved and does appear to have the ability to knock a pass forward. Although one too many times he gave the ball to Robertson, who then aimlessly punted it (#KeddiePunt).

3/4 players still needed for the squad.

Ross Callachan. He was on verge of joining you 2 years ago but decided to stay with us and nail down regular place

Ross Callachan. He was on verge of joining you 2 years ago but decided to stay with us and nail down regular place

Was just last year, he was offered a 2 yr deal by county and a 2 yr deal with us and he opted to stay. Really good player if his confidence is up. A lot of last season he was either injured or his confidence was at rock bottom. His stand out performance though was the 1-0 away win to Morton at the End of March/ Start of April which effectively all but guaranteed our Play-off spot. Was unplayable that day, ran the show.

Well Woods is out injured for a couple of weeks after the tackle that meant he was subbed off at ht against Raith. i'd expect Routis to replace him for tonight.

I'd also like to see Graham and Schalk start too, plus maybe Foster at LB and Franks coming in (Kenny dropping to the bench).

18 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

What the f**k is happening with Alloa?  Two wins so far and looking like they'll pump Ross County.

Very simple. Danny Lennon signed lots of shit footballers last summer. Jack Ross signed good footballers this summer. 

23 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well I am pleased you've decided to stop being shit.

The shit team did ok against Rangers anyway ;).

Seems 2-2 is a poor reflection on Alloa's first half performance. Hopefully they can keep it going.

Archived