Group D. Alloa, Cove, Montrose, Raith & County

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

What was our starting lineup today?

I mean I was pretty drunk but I could guess? 

Fox

cikos Davies mcelvely van der weg

Franks woods mcshane Gardyne

boyce shalk 

davies off for Robertson after circa 30mins due to Davies injury. 

I mean I'm quite drunk so this could all be shite. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if Raith put a few past us midweek as that performance will have taken a lot out of them![\quote]

Nah, we don't/can't do those sort of things. I fancy us to get the win but reckoning it'll be one of those 1-0, 2-1 type games.

Although it was a defeat, I thought there were a lot of positives for Montrose today. Defence looked much stronger than last season, midfield had a bit of spark, Millar was excellent in goals. Strikers struggled a bit, which I would put down to fitness as much as anything. I'd be keen to see some more options up top though.

My 'report' is here: http://groaninjock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/season-20162017-match-1-montrose-0-1.html

Felt like a pre-season game for the most part but a win is a win - although not exactly an inspiring performance for the most part. County look like a team missing two or three quality players away from a top six side.

First visit to Links Park. Enjoyed the now novel experience of standing on a open terrace. 

15 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

What was our starting lineup today?

County Fan was right about your starting line up even though he was drunk. Your subs were Brian Graham, Craig Curran, Tony Dingwall, Richard Foster, Chris Robertson, Chris Routis, Aaron McCarey. Assume Brian Graham was ex Raith Rovers where I last saw him - a great signing if the same. Also assume Craig Curran is ex Carlisle United where I last saw him - another good squad player.

A decent game which could have gone either way though County had the better of the second half and the Mo were hanging on towards the end. Mo need to take that level of performance into the league games and step up their striking power. County need to be more dangerous up front as well if they are to make an impact this season. Good luck though - pleasure to host County and their fans again.

1 hour ago, StuartTaylor said:

I presume that's ex County player and man of many clubs Bolo that conceded the pen.

Yoda what's your thoughts on VdW and McEveley?

Van Der Weg looks a bit too heavy at this point in time. Much like Boyce when he first arrived.  He's not particularly quick and I don't think he'll offer the same going forward as Reckord did (during his first season), or Foster does. I would have liked McLaughlin to be the first choice LB this season but that seems unlikely.

McEveley seems more like Paul Quinn than Andrew Davies. The weakness as both in that he's not blessed with a great deal of pace. Doesn't appear to be the dominating centre-half that Davies is in the air but it's only Game 1. I'm hoping that he's more comfortable with the ball at his feet than either Quinn or Robertson.

Fox, Cikos, and Gardyne were County's best players of those who started. Curran came on and looked like he'd never been away. 

McShane/Woods in the middle looks dreadful. It has to be one or the other, not both.  They just sort of stayed in the middle all game - not offering protection to the defence, and not offering support to the front two.

Going back to the defence for a moment: if Davies is to leave then I would like to see Marcus Fraser moving in to the centre-back position. But that's something else that won't happen given that Quinn is the new captain and McEveley won't have been signed to sit on the bench.

21 hours ago, yoda said:

McShane/Woods in the middle looks dreadful. It has to be one or the other, not both.  They just sort of stayed in the middle all game - not offering protection to the defence, and not offering support to the front two.

McIntyre said after the game that he is looking for another midfielder post-Jackson, but will that happen in time for the league starting?  If not I'll have the fear.

What do you think the attendance from Montrose will be tonight, 50-100 people or more? Overall, I think it'll be close to a 1000. Home win, but got to be more clinical than what we were against Cove.

What do you think the attendance from Montrose will be tonight, 50-100 people or more? Overall, I think it'll be close to a 1000. Home win, but got to be more clinical than what we were against Cove.

I don't think we'll bring much down, although the good weather might tempt a few more folk out. What are the prices for the game do you know?

No be many mo fans their tonight I would not think.20-30 at the most.

Archived