Group B

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Trump said:

Best result in Stirling Albion history tbh, expect them to lap this up for a long time.

Am afraid not by a long way, nice to get a win over the Bairns long time coming but wont be lapping this up for a long time. Face Brechin on Tuesday night hopefully we can get something their and beat Elgin the following Tuesday to set us up for the St Johnstone game.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Elgin 1-1 now, sounds like a headed goal after a set piece. A worrying trend continued over from last season

Looked like a peach of a shot to me. I was at the other end of the enclosure though.

First half was all Saints, first 20 mins of second half was all Elgin, then Saints got their act together again and ended up strolling it. Although Swanson got the MOM I thought Alston was. All the new signings did enough to make me think they'll fit in well. Watsons crossing is decent, Patons ball winning and keeping possession is good. You can tell the team are not 100% but after these games plus the friendly they will be.

Was up at Elgin this afternoon. Saints deserved their win, and ultimately comfortable. However, for 10-15 minutes of the second half, Elgin threatened to make life very tough for the Saints.

Swanson and Cooper had a good, competitive battle down that wing. Swanson was superb. Shaughnessy was assured at the back. Elgin's central defence is a weak link and the central midfield could do with a larger presence.

But Elgin put in a reasonable show second half. Saints again look like they will have the quality to be in the top half of the league.

Crowd was good, and having the support mixed with no segregation was enjoyable.

Some win for the Binos!

Didn't see the first 15 minutes of the second half coming but Elgin got a huge lift from their goal and gave it a go before ultimately Saints wrestled back control. Other than that good period for the hosts, it was as dominant a performance as you could really have hoped for and I don't think a fourth or fifth goal would have flattered us too much.

Nice set-up at Elgin and glad to (finally) get another ground ticked off. Just got Annan, Albion Rovers, Dumbarton and Edinburgh City to go now.

Didn't see the first 15 minutes of the second half coming but Elgin got a huge lift from their goal and gave it a go before ultimately Saints wrestled back control. Other than that good period for the hosts, it was as dominant a performance as you could really have hoped for and I don't think a fourth or fifth goal would have flattered us too much.

Nice set-up at Elgin and glad to (finally) get another ground ticked off. Just got Annan, Albion Rovers, Dumbarton and Edinburgh City to go now.

Remarkably your to do list is identical to mine. Unfortunately I didn't get Elgin ticked off today!

50 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Was up at Elgin this afternoon. Saints deserved their win, and ultimately comfortable. However, for 10-15 minutes of the second half, Elgin threatened to make life very tough for the Saints.

Swanson and Cooper had a good, competitive battle down that wing. Swanson was superb. Shaughnessy was assured at the back. Elgin's central defence is a weak link and the central midfield could do with a larger presence.

But Elgin put in a reasonable show second half. Saints again look like they will have the quality to be in the top half of the league.

Crowd was good, and having the support mixed with no segregation was enjoyable.

Some win for the Binos!

Always been a problem for us our defence and lack of a big hefty central midfielder needs sorted yet its only start of the season 

Surprised in scoreline to be honest st johnstons fitness got the better of us in the final 20 minutes but pleased with our performance against a spfl premier team

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I've done Albion Rovers, but not Peterhead, or your others

Very enjoyable trip up to see the Elgin Marvels, and also a new ground ticked off.

great set up, and a tidy wee traditional ground which always make games far more enjoyable than the concrete and plastic monotony we get in the premier league.

thought Saints were really comfortable today, played with a good tempo throughout and created a huge number of chances.  Aficionados of statistics will be interested to learn that that was the highest number of corners St Johnstone have ever had in a competitive match, at 406.

Elgin try to pass the ball and had some good bits of play, though the scoreline really should have been far higher but for our wasteful finishing and some good saves.  There's certainly no shame in only losing 3-1 to the football juggernaut that is St Johnstone, and Elgin made it a good competitive game.. far better than a half-hearted pre-season friendly any day.

Saints look likely to be up close to the top half of the table again, though when we go thru an inevitable bad spell the concerns over lack of pace or genuine wide players may be raised again by some of our support. Craig Thomson may prove to be quite an important option over the course of the season.

All the best to City for the season ahead.

On 14/07/2016 at 02:38, Ray Vaughn said:

If it's £16 for the St Johnstone v Stirling game the following week, I'll be spending that in the pub instead.
Planning to go to Perth but as we'll be out of the tournament by that stage then I'll no be paying more than a tenner.

Prices confirmed as £10 adults, £5 concessions and free for U12s for Stirling's visit to McDiarmid. Suppose we can afford to do that after coining in the Falkirk pound the week before.

Archived