Dreghorn Juniors

Dreghorn

34 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Where about did Riccarton Bluebell play?

They played out of kirkstyle. I believe a few of the pitches in kilmarnock were used by each other throughout they times. But I think they predominantly played out of kirkstyle. (Think the parks were where the current kirkstyle primary is in kilmarnock). I also believe there was a park in ricarton near where the current fire station in kilmarnock is that was also used. could probably find out more info. 

21 minutes ago, Barcz86 said:

They played out of kirkstyle. I believe a few of the pitches in kilmarnock were used by each other throughout they times. But I think they predominantly played out of kirkstyle. (Think the parks were where the current kirkstyle primary is in kilmarnock). I also believe there was a park in ricarton near where the current fire station in kilmarnock is that was also used. could probably find out more info. 

Cheers - so it was quite near the cricket ground.

A few more bits and pieces. 

Year of formation

The club’s formation date is given as 1892 that may be the first year as a Junior club in the Western League however there was club under that name in around 1888.

Ground

The club’s first ground is given as Rose Meadow Park.       

McGhee connections                                    

Hugh McLean McGhee (DoB 30 September 1935) signed for Raith Rovers on 29 October 1955 but does not appeared to have played for the first team.

Players who represented Scotland

John Armour won a Junior cap in 1915 while at Dreghorn and is the only player to be capped while playing for the club.

James Ferguson later played for Queen’s Park and Third Lanark and was capped at Amateur level for Scotland against West Germany in 1957.

Tom McKillop played for Scotland as a Rangers player in 1937

Alec Lambie 1916 – 1935 Ayr United, Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle, Chester, Swindon Town, Newport County, Lovells Athletic, Distillery, Belfast Celtic. He played for Glasgow, Scotland XI and Scottish League.

George Bertram represented the Scottish League in 1931 as an Airdrie player.

Other players that went into Senior football

James Blair went on to play for Dunfermline

Thomas Brown 1958 – 1967 Kilmarnock, Queen of the South

James Gilmour played for Queen of the South

John Hammill played for Partick Thistle

Tommy Irvine 1920 – 1924 Luton Town, Bedford Town, Ayr United

Jim Kerr went to Queen’s Park in 1976.

Charles McGillivray 1929 - 1947   Ayr Utd, Celtic, Manchester United, Motherwell, Dundee, Dundee United, Stirling Albion, Arbroath

Tommy McKay 1927 – 1940 Nottingham Forest, Queen of the South, Southport, Wigan Athletic

Andrew McMurtrie 1925 - 1934   Motherwell, Bristol City, Cork FC, King's Park, Rotherham United

George Wilson   1931 – 1936 Ayr Utd, York City

Kilmarnock connections

Several Kilmarnock players including Jackie McGrory Eric Murray and Brian Rodman have Dreghorn on their cv but it may have been they were farmed out to the club.

Coaching/management

Andrew Jamieson had a short career in Senior football in the late 1950s before reverting to Junior football. He started as a player Dreghorn and was later their manager.

Rab Stewart was a Kilmarnock player who later coached Dreghorn and was also the first manager of the Scotland’s Women’s team.

Edited by bluedragon

• 3 months later...

The picture dates from the late 50s when Dreghorn played in white.

in the early 60s they changed to yellow and black.

It was taken at their home ground at Fordside Park on the banks of the River Irvine beside Holmsford Bridge.

The ground is now partly beneath the bypass.

i am putting together a short history of the club for those interested.

• 2 years later...
On 15/02/2018 at 16:50, paul wright scores said:

Do you know whether and Ian Wylie (who played for Arthurlie and Meadow) ever played fro Dreghorn?

My Dad's name was Ian Wylie. He played for Clydebank High School (40s), and their FP team (50s), as a centre-half. He was offered some sort of deal with Riccarton Bluebell, but didn't take it up, because of the distance. Didn't tell me much about his playing days, except for scoring a couple past Ronnie Simpson. I think he was playing for his high school as well as Queens Park! My Dad was not in this photograph.

• 9 months later...

DREGORN JUNIORS QUESTION Eddie Johnstone [Kilwinning]

I am not a member on here however from my personal archives here is a very [very] small part of the history of Dreghorn Juniors which although a personal tale will indubitably assist you in piecing a few important dates together.

In 1968-1969 I was playing with Eglinton Amateurs and kept a record of all their games that Season. I also played games for Dreghorn Juniors, initially as a trialist from Eglinton Amateurs in early 1969. On 7th May 1969 we [Dreghorn] beat my home town Kilwinning Rangers 4-1 in a friendly at Buffs Park. I scored one goal. On 14th May 1969 we [Dreghorn] lost 5-2 to Beith Juniors in a friendly at Beith. I scored one goal.

Beith then invited me to play a game for them and we beat The Buffs 4-1 and I scored one goal, but they did not sign me. Kilwinning Rangers then invited me to play some games but did not sign me. I then signed for Dreghorn Juniors in summer 1969 and was immediately made captain, but in one of our first games against Benburb at Tinto Park in the West of Scotland we lost 7-1 and I was sent off.

I was also a gigging musician then and so decided to forget football for a while and never returned to the Dreghorn squad. I signed for Eglinton Ams at the end of that season solely to play in their 4-0 Ayrshire Cup Final win over local rivals Dirrans. I then signed for Girdle Toll amateurs in 1970 before being signed by Junior Omand to Queens Park in 1971-1972 season and finished at Kilwinning Rangers under Milton Thomson. I hope all that info – do check the local newspaper archives of those dates – helps your story. Regards Eddie

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I have now completed the History of Dreghorn Juniors which will be published as a pdf at the end of this month.

Anyone wanting a copy please send me an email at the following address

ginnesfamily@aol.com

There will be no charge.