Highland League Fixtures 2016/17

NorthernLights

Bit weird having games on Christmas Eve but I suppose it's better than Boxing Day for public transport.

Bit weird having games on Christmas Eve but I suppose it's better than Boxing Day for public transport.

Might get some really decent crowds given its a Saturday as well.  I see Wick are away to Inverurie on Hogmany, that seems a bit crap for them.  Even someone like Forres, Clach or Brora would surely have been better.  Chances are the games will be called off anyway!

Christmas Eve usually gets poor crowds in SPFL - plus elsewhere - due to people doing last-minute shopping, heading home in advance of Christmas Day, and so on.

In 2004-05 only 1 HL game, Fraserburgh v Lossiemouth, was played on Christmas Eve, the other 6 games (smaller league at that time) went onto holiday Tuesday following.

In 2011-12 no HL games were played on Christmas Eve, they all went onto Friday 23rd December (presumably in the evening).

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you see a number of those games similarly moved. Particularly if Aberdeen and Inverness are meeting then, as usual.

Christmas Eve usually gets poor crowds in SPFL - plus elsewhere - due to people doing last-minute shopping, heading home in advance of Christmas Day, and so on.

In 2004-05 only 1 HL game, Fraserburgh v Lossiemouth, was played on Christmas Eve, the other 6 games (smaller league at that time) went onto holiday Tuesday following.

In 2011-12 no HL games were played on Christmas Eve, they all went onto Friday 23rd December (presumably in the evening).

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you see a number of those games similarly moved. Particularly if Aberdeen and Inverness are meeting then, as usual.

Fraserburgh asked for that game to go ahead on Christmas Eve, IIRC. Then never showed up for it. Lossie were 28/1 shots to win and romped to a 4-2 victory.

In 2011, Keith 3-0 Lossie was played at night (not that I remember anything having gone to the boozer for opening time to watch Delboy all day), and the others were all evening KO's too. All nine games went ahead, amazingly.

Archived