"Allergy Season"

I’ve had bad hay fever and other allergies for 50years. I was always told I would grow out of it. This year has been a b*****d. 

As a kid I used to get injections. Then I ended up on Piriton which was a fecking nightmare when studying for final exams. I used to just fall asleep. Then combining Piriton with alcohol. Jeezo.

I’m on year round tablets, nasal spray, eye drops, as well as doing saline nasal rinse, local honey, etc. I’ve even had nasal surgery. I’ve had all those tests that they do to check what you are allergic to and it’s far easier to say what I’m not.

Unless you suffer from it you don’t understand how debilitating it can be and how exhausting it can be.

Even now I’m trying to resist the urge to gouge my eyes out and slit my throat to stop the incessant itchy.

I think I will go and seek an alternative approach to the antihistamine tablets as the current ones are proving to be shit.

I wonder whether there is any correlation to man made pollution that we have been subjected to growing up.

Out of interest is anyone allergic to Monosodium Glutamate? MSG which is used in many Asian cuisines and some flavours of crisps.

I am. And it literally gives me the shits. 

But according to this article it’s just a myth. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196

Well I’m feckin telling you I eat a packet of crisps with MSG in it and I will be urgently searching for some diocalm. A Chinese meal with it loaded will see me lose body fluids I never knew existed.

I enjoy traveling but I’m scared to eat in certain places as it is feckin deadly once I ingest the stuff. Needless to say I don’t eat any Chinese food anymore. 

This. Spent about 95% of my waking hours yesterday sneezing. 

My eyes swell up and get ridiculously red and itchy. Then it’s followed by sneezing about 40 times in a row, it’s painful after a while.

I've had a continuous itchy throat for the past 48hrs (whilst awake anyway, although I woke up with one), except for the 5 mins after eating a McFlurry yesterday.  I find that fizzy water helps alleviate it short term though.

Have to wander about with my hands in my pockets to prevent me from rubbing my eyes, but I break eventually as it's akin to keeping your eyes open without blinking otherwise.

Thought I'd grown out of it, but then last year came along, and this one seems to be the same.  Thankfully the NE isn't as bad as Central Scotland, but even then it's still a whoor.

Currently waiting on going offshore, the only remedy that seems to work.  F*** off fog.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Unless you suffer from it you don’t understand how debilitating it can be and how exhausting it can be.

Aye this is an affect that doesn't get mentioned very often when talking about hayfever but it's absolutely true. If I'm having a particularly bad day with it I'm absolutely knackered come evening. I don't know what the reason actually is. Maybe dehydration from losing so much fluid? Add in antihistamines and heat and it's absolutely draining.

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Pollen and cat hair are the worst for me. 

Same, the latter being a shame because the little bird-shredding felines have grown on me, possibly because of P&B.

Pollen wise, I wanted to finally see the enemy, so I left a glass slide outside yesterday and put it under my fancy scope. Saw hundreds of the little fvckers (0.02mm wide):

1651712464_PXL_20220623_1836338272.jpg.d65d16e692423edd9b9a361707dbe3db.jpg

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Same, the latter being a shame because the little bird-shredding felines have grown on me, possibly because of P&B.

Pollen wise, I wanted to finally see the enemy, so I left a glass slide outside yesterday and put it under my fancy scope. Saw hundreds of the little fvckers (0.02mm wide):

How fancy is your fancy scope? 

Last year I bought a Zeiss AxioImager that I really love using on weird stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

200.gif

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Leica DM750

Handy to have in the house when one feels compelled to have a look at wasp stingers and the likes.  Their eyes are both cool and creepy:

1776188112_PXL_20220523_1519513872.thumb.jpg.7c523173c5462401fa3f4ebd1c87a752.jpg

Never really suffered from hay-fever until the last few years, but by f**k the last few days have been horrendous. Persistent sneezing, or worse, feeling the need but being unable to and being caught in a constant loop of having that horrible itchy/tickling sensation in my nose. Eyes are a puffy, red mess. Fucking horrible.

Never really suffered from hay-fever until the last few years, but by f**k the last few days have been horrendous. Persistent sneezing, or worse, feeling the need but being unable to and being caught in a constant loop of having that horrible itchy/tickling sensation in my nose. Eyes are a puffy, red mess. Fucking horrible.

Aye that's a shitter as well, it can hit you at any time. I've had it for 21 years now so am fully expecting I'll have it for life. Second Kenalog injection today at 5. Really hope this one works.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye that's a shitter as well, it can hit you at any time. I've had it for 21 years now so am fully expecting I'll have it for life. Second Kenalog injection today at 5. Really hope this one works.

Fingers crossed mate.

• 2 weeks later...

A week and a half ago I was an itchy sneezing mess.  Then I went offshore for a week and a bit, got back on Monday night and I haven't been affected at all since, despite being out on country lanes just now.

Has grass pollen season just abruptly ended or something? 🤔

A week and a half ago I was an itchy sneezing mess.  Then I went offshore for a week and a bit, got back on Monday night and I haven't been affected at all since, despite being out on country lanes just now.
Has grass pollen season just abruptly ended or something? [emoji848]
Mines has been terrible the last two days.

56 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Has grass pollen season just abruptly ended or something? 🤔

Comes an goes with me.

Cooncil did the grass yesterday & I was fucking deid.