Best & Worst Game of the Season

Saw a similar thread on the Championship forum. What was your favourite game of the season involving your team and what was the worst?

For me, my favourite was beating Stranraer 2-1 at Stair Park with 10 men. Arse-clenching final few minutes but managed to see it through.

Worst has to be the 3-0 humping by Albion Rovers on the first day of the season. Horrible pitch, horrible performance, and Neil Doncaster's face. That's plenty.

Best: two immediately spring to mind. The first is the 2-0 win over Raith Rovers in the Challenge Cup. Stenhousemuir were exceptional that evening and it's probably the finest performance of Bomber Ferguson's management. Stenny were tremendous and knocked the ball around their full-time opponents with ease. Stephen Stirling scored one of the best goals I've ever seen in the flesh too, a dipping half-volley from 25 yards. A stone-cold stunner.

The second match was the 4-3 victory against Peterhead in November. For the opening 35 minutes, the Stenny defending was absolutely embarrassing and Rory McAllister was skipping around us with ease, scoring a neat hat-trick. But Colin McMenamin netted with an opportunistic lob just before half-time and Jason Scotland scored two well-taken goals after the interval to tie us level. Goddamn scenes. Then, suddenly, Kieran Millar skips onto Scotland's through ball and pops it into the net to win the match. I was going cock-a-hoop.

Worst: there's so much to choose from in here but I'd go for either the home losses towards the end of the season to Peterhead (1-4) and Ayr United (0-4). Stenny were appalling in both matches and absolutely destroyed. The second-half showing against Ayr was particularly desperate. Looking back on these matches, it's a wonder we managed to stay up. Bomber's certainly got his work cut out for him next season.

I wasn't at that many, but best was the 3-0 home win against Airdrie - absolute dominated from start to finish and played some really nice football.

Worst was the 0-1 at Stranraer on 2nd January, took a decent crowd down but had half a team out injured and performance was dire

Best: Dunfermline 3 1 Brechin. 

Wrapped up the league with a fantastic hattrick. Brechin made it a good game by having a go at us. Cowden did us a favour (and won me £110). 2-1 up, Cowden winning, the title in reach. One more goal would settle any nerves.... and what a goal. 

Worst: Dunfermline 0 1 Airdrieonians

I'd discount any of the post-title shows as the tools were down. Losing on Alba with such a hopeless performance was a downer out of the blue. 

Best - Um...I presume the best would be beating Ayr 4-2 at Central Park around Christmas.  Other possibilities?  Beating Stranraer 3-0 away from home and the 3-2 win away to Stenny when we looked like we had blown it.

Worst - take your pick.  I'd say the 7-0 mauling at Peterhead was possibly the most pathetic performance I've seen from any Cowden side.  I've seen us get humped of a rampant Gretna side and hammered of other sides but Peterhead didn't even get out of first gear and could have scored 10.

Best: Ayr 1-2 Dunfermline

Going down to 10 men at 1-1 it seemed that we would be hanging on for the draw. However Hopkirk scored and we instead hung on for the win, with Ayr fans crying copiously over our celebrations.

Worst: Dunfermline 0-1 Airdire

As Shandon says really. I was at the 4-1 thrashing in Stranraer and was a bit annoyed, but it was ultimately meaningless for us. That Airdrie game however was not and was such a dire, infuriating performance.

Best- 4-2 win over Ayr. Good win and an entertaining game of football (probably not for the Ayr fans)

Worst - A plentiful selection. Missed the seven nil. We were awful plenty of times, but the first leg against Queens Park was probably my worst. In such an important match; half the team couldn't give a shit and wanted away on their holidays.

Best: Ayr United 1-2 Pars. Both teams nip and tuck at the top, Ayr fought back to 1-1 and put us under pressure when we went down to 10 men. Scenes when Hopkirk broke away for the winner then at full-time. A big moment in the title race.

Worst: Pars 0-1 Airdrie. A dire performance on a dire January evening where it lashed down as everyone was leaving the ground. Not much more to be said, worst performance of the league season (not counting the 0-3 as that didn't matter in comparison).

Same as most of the other Pars fans for me. The 2-1 win at Ayr with 10 men in December felt like a really big result at the time, and although it was definitely not the best we played this season, it was certainly the strongest feeling of victory. The Airdrie game was a bit pish though it's a mark of how comfortable a season it was that even the lowest point was nowhere near as bad as those of most recent seasons.

Although the Ayr game was my favourite, the 4-0 win at Forfar early in the season was another real highlight for me. They were top of the league going into that and we absolutely blew them away with some brilliant football, something we didn't really do again after September as we became more functionally effective as opposed to spectacular.

Cowden away 0-0 was probably the worst game to watch, Most painful was the Ayr 0-2, most annoying airdrie 0-1.

Ayr away victories were the best, tough conditions and against the odds we beat them twice and probably the turning point for both teams.

Didn't watch either unfortunately.

As socks said it's pretty harsh to be to upset by the odd defeat, the airdrie game was just shit all round though. Getting soaked at full time was icing on the cake.

Best game - against Cowdenbeath 7-0, fantastic play looking like we would score at every attack.

Worst game - Brechin 5 - 1. Don't want to take anything away from the Brechins performance but our lack of defenders and quality ones at that showed.  They could have had more. Cracking goal by Blockley overshadowed by the rest of the teams performance. Left 20 minutes before the end.

Best would be either the 2-0 win against Dunfermline or the 3-0 against Airdrie. Both really good performances and was back when we believed we could win the league

The worst would have to be the 3-2 defeat against Dunfermline. Chucking a lead is utter shite but the fact we could have really closed the gap at the top of the table and the way we threw it away made it all the worse. Probably one of the worst away days I've had in the last few seasons.

Best:  There's three in contention for me - the 1-2 derby win at Coatbridge at the start of January, the 2-0 up at Forfar that finally ended any jitters about the playoffs at the wrong end of the table, and the 3-0 win over Dunfermline the following week (I wasn't at Ayr on the last day, so can't really pick that).  I'd probably go for the Rovers one, because there was a good atmosphere, and at the time it really felt like we might have turned a corner with that game.

Worst: There's a few to choose from, but the 0-3 defeat at Ayr was probably the worst.  It's as insipid as I've ever seen Airdrie play. 

Best - 

Dunfermline 3 - 2 Ayr United - not the best performance, but really the final stamp on authority on the title. After going down to 10 men and winning 2-1, Ayr were 2-1 up with 10 men and we turned it around and won. Really sealed the title that day and showed the gulf in class between us and the rest of league, extremely pleasing.

Honourable mentions:

Dunfermline 7-1 Cowdenbeath

Ayr United 1-2 Dunfermline

Dunfermline 3-1 Brechin City

Worst performance:

Dunfermline 0-1 Airdrieonians - Completely out of the blue, utterly turgid performnace where we were beaten by and Airdrie side who weren't even playing well.

Honourable mentions:

The post-title "we don't give a f**k lol" shows.

Archived