Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Templar said:

So why has he not played Kennedy there this season. Tommy has played O'Halloran and Swanson in the centre but not Kennedy. If his plan is to have Kennedy in the centre why has he not played him there? Why did he put MOH in the centre today rather than Kenedy?

Did MOH play in the centre today? 

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

With a 4-2-3-1, I'd probably play Mikey on the left, Matty in the centre, and Drey on the right. When you've got so many attacking midfielders/wingers, it's just far too tempting. And even then, Swanson has to settle for a place on the bench.

Why put MOH on the left when we get a better return from him on the right; 3 league games 1 assist and 1 goal. Not a bad if its not broken do not try to fix it.

Just now, Templar said:

Why put MOH on the left when we get a better return from him on the right; 3 league games 1 assist and 1 goal. Not a bad if its not broken do not try to fix it.

Because Drey Wright was a revelation on the right last season, and thus far we've seen no evidence to suggest that he would put in decent performances elsewhere. MOH has experience of playing on the left, and indeed regularly played on the left during his successful second loan spell. I do agree he's better on the right, but I also like to think that Tommy will be keen to accommodate all three in the starting line-up. Unless we sign two high-quality strikers, I would prefer - against the lesser teams anyway -  to play those three as attacking midfield options behind one striker rather than (hypothetically) a 4-4-2 with May alongside one of our current strikers.

6 minutes ago, Templar said:

So why has he not played Kennedy there this season. Tommy has played O'Halloran and Swanson in the centre but not Kennedy. If his plan is to have Kennedy in the centre why has he not played him there? Why did he put MOH in the centre today rather than Kenedy?

Because Swanson cant defend so it leaves Tanser utterly exposed, and his experiments of Kennedy/Swanson on the right in the cup failed. With Wotherspoon and Wright out, MOH is the only option for the right wing, which makes Kennedy the only option for the left.

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Did MOH play in the centre today? 

He went up there after Swanson replaced Kane. Hibs defence had started playing high, a few thumps in behind them, which gave them the fear when they saw MOH playing on the last man, dropped them back, which gave Swanson and Kennedy more room.

Either that or TW has a pure conspiracy about something which makes him play MOH central.

6 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Because Drey Wright was a revelation on the right last season, and thus far we've seen no evidence to suggest that he would put in decent performances elsewhere. MOH has experience of playing on the left, and indeed regularly played on the left during his successful second loan spell. I do agree he's better on the right, but I also like to think that Tommy will be keen to accommodate all three in the starting line-up. Unless we sign two high-quality strikers, I would prefer - against the lesser teams anyway -  to play those three as attacking midfield options behind one striker rather than (hypothetically) a 4-4-2 with May alongside one of our current strikers.

I do not disagree with what you have said. but that was last season. MOH has played on the left in his third term and it has not worked out. So you would take MOH out of right wing and put Wright in . I would leave it as it is until MOH stops producing his goal involvement, to date 2 in every 3 games. Would you want to bring Wright in and hope he hits the ground running after a long lay off. Kennedy is also doing very well on the left. As I said before if it is not broke don't try and fix it.  We have a luxury of 2 from 3 (Kennedy O'Halloran and Wright.) Try and make it 3 from 3 and it will not work, my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Templar said:

I do not disagree with what you have said. but that was last season. MOH has played on the left in his third term and it has not worked out. So you would take MOH out of right wing and put Wright in . I would leave it as it is until MOH stops producing his goal involvement, to date 2 in every 3 games. Would you want to bring Wright in and hope he hits the ground running after a long lay off. Kennedy is also doing very well on the left. As I said before if it is not broke don't try and fix it.  We have a luxury of 2 from 3 (Kennedy O'Halloran and Wright.) Try and make it 3 from 3 and it will not work, my opinion.

I get what you're saying, but I suppose the positions could be interchangeable throughout the course of a match depending on the other team's personnel and how Tommy feels we can best exploit them. As I said previously, I don't think it would be a viable set-up every week. I'd see us more going along the lines of how we started today, with three central midfielders and Kennedy/O'Halloran on either side. I'd just like to think that we could accommodate all three against weaker teams when we could maybe benefit from being more adventurous in an attacking sense. But anyway, you're correct, I would hope that Drey Wright will be eased in gently.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's absolutely fucking incredible that I'm convinced that side would make the top half.

I've watched us be shite for the past six games, yet two decent second half performances, and the idea we might sign Rangers 15th choice CM and a crippled striker has me genuinely excited about Saints.

The f**k is wrong with us?

let's refrain from using the C word before COG treats us to another meltdown

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

With O'Halloran and Kennedy in more advanced positions, they can help him out as supporting attackers on either side. This is no basic 4-5-1. This is a delicious 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1. May, O'Halloran and Kennedy would sort of act as a Salah-Firmino-Mane-esque triple prong.

My thoughts too - and it can be done on today's evidence. 

Just need that missing piece of the jigsaw. 

If we have MOH, Matty and last season's Drey Wright available all the theoretical discussions about the whys and wherefores of who may be marginally more suited to what position go out the window. We find a way to play them because they'll dismantle most defences in this division. 

Final two pieces of the jigsaw for me. The midfield has stood up better than I expected and Ali McCann looks like he’ll do well for us this season but we’re still a body short in there IMO. 

If we get the signings right we could very easily propel ourselves towards the top 6. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Final two pieces of the jigsaw for me. The midfield has stood up better than I expected and Ali McCann looks like he’ll do well for us this season but we’re still a body short in there IMO. 

If we get the signings right we could very easily propel ourselves towards the top 6. 

FQXccleH1U.gif

Just now, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Agreed,But that still leaves us short of cover for Tanser and if the Foster situation becomes terminal we could require two defenders.

If Foster is done, you'd hope we'd be able to get him out and use his wage to get more depth in, even if it means a cheap loan from somewhere.  

So considering we only sign ex Premiership players ( mostly Scottish) who do we realistically think we might end up with?

Obviously players like Stevie May, Jason Cummings, Jason Naismith and Jason Holt would be ideal.

I'm starting to worry we will end up with someone like Gavin Reilly

1 minute ago, steviemay17 said:

So considering we only sign ex Premiership players ( mostly Scottish) who do we realistically think we might end up with?

Obviously players like Stevie May, Jason Cummings, Jason Naismith and Jason Holt would be ideal.

I'm starting to worry we will end up with someone like Gavin Reilly

Reilly away out on loan so can't be him.

Somehow getting Foster, Callachan and McMillan out, and replacing them with Naismith, Holt and May, would be fucking unreal.

Realistically can't see that coming to pass. May feels like it'll still happen, no idea how much is in the Holt stuff?

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Reilly away out on loan so can't be him.

Somehow getting Foster, Callachan and McMillan out, and replacing them with Naismith, Holt and May, would be fucking unreal.

Realistically can't see that coming to pass. May feels like it'll still happen, no idea how much is in the Holt stuff?

Can't see Naismith being possible ... I think Holt might well happen and one of May or possibly Cummings. Probably May but would be happy with either TBH. 

Spoiler

Or Lafferty

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hibs fans raving about McCann, and tbf he was impressive. Still makes some errors but that's inexperience, hes easily our best central player in terms of recycling possession IMO.

If he manages to maintain this then the lack of transfer business might turn out as a blessing of sorts.

Was it just me or was there glimpses of John mcginn in McCann’s performance yesterday? Every player in blue played well but I thought Moh, tanser and McCann stood out 

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Was it just me or was there glimpses of John mcginn in McCann’s performance yesterday? Every player in blue played well but I thought Moh, tanser and McCann stood out 

And Matty, but maybe we take it for granted a wee bit. 

I'd add Duffy to the list. Great performance considering how few games he's played.