Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Okay if you don't like the term diehards as a description of many disillusioned and disaffected fans..I maybe should have said many of the long term core support 

I don’t like it when terms like that are used to place some above others. I don’t think you were doing that at all. But there is an attitude at times of I was in Vaasa, I was in Berwick, etc.

I’ve been to places on holiday that some people have moved to. Which of us love the place more? Can we both enjoy it the same?

We can be in a crowd of 1000 Saints away fans and not know anybody. Yet we all want the same thing. And lots of us, of all periods of support, are expressing apathy. That’s dangerous, and that creeping malaise is something I doubt the chairman can address.

I don’t like reading WAP or here lately because it seems the common theme among long time fans like yourself and casual attendees alike is that interest is waning. Did you read what[mention=6873]Radford[/mention] wrote? Telling.

Oli Shaw is maybe a decent player but there are more negatives than positives over this move, most of which folk can identify themselves. 

When I figured we had six figures set aside for a striker, I don't think it's unfair to have hoped it wouldn't be spent on a youth loan striker from Hibernian. 

Have defended the manager over recruitment but it gets harder.

33 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I don’t like it when terms like that are used to place some above others. I don’t think you were doing that at all. But there is an attitude at times of I was in Vaasa, I was in Berwick, etc.

I’ve been to places on holiday that some people have moved to. Which of us love the place more? Can we both enjoy it the same?

We can be in a crowd of 1000 Saints away fans and not know anybody. Yet we all want the same thing. And lots of us, of all periods of support, are expressing apathy. That’s dangerous, and that creeping malaise is something I doubt the chairman can address.

I don’t like reading WAP or here lately because it seems the common theme among long time fans like yourself and casual attendees alike is that interest is waning. Did you read what[mention=6873]Radford[/mention] wrote? Telling.

I'm really not that interested dude but thanks for replying anyway 

Hes not alone, far from it, and its a huge worry. Theres a growing number of folk on social media, who do seem to have followed Saints everywhere, who have totally lost their attachment (not sure if thats the right word?) to the club. 
The club do literally nothing to try and keep fans interested in the club, nothing. Theres a decent Saints TV interview out with Liam Craig just now, buts it behind a paywall. Theres never any updates on the youth squad which by all accounts is pretty promising. No special deals. Only PR from the club is usually moaning about a lack of funds from the manager, or blaming that on a lack of fans from the chairman. 
This Summer a better club could've built up hype around our attacking options and young, homegrown, defensive core, could've added an icon up front and some genuine quality central.
Instead the club has done nothing, signed three poor back up players, all three who have looked fucking awful so far, have rejected the chance to sign a striker literally everyone, including the manager and players want, despite him coming to the club and dropping his demands, and we're now on the verge of making our marquee striker signing, who the manager has been claiming all summer is the reason we're running with a smaller squad to afford, a 20yo loanee from Hibs who hasn't even managed a goal every 6 games for his current club, who finished 2pts ahead of us last season.
Why should fans have any interest in Saints just now?
Maybe Shaw is just one of two strikers we're going to sign.
And I wouldn't believe everything you read on social media.

10 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Don’t think the football was good at all last season either, especially in Perth.

There were a lot of good moments though which I care about more than great football. Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee away were all great moments. Wasn’t at Motherwell but that’s another one that was obviously scenes. 

I know there’s so much negativity around just now, and some folk have said that they wouldn’t even be that excited about Stevie May signing now given the way the saga has played out, but from my point of view, if we signed him the whole shambles of pre season would be quickly forgotten, and I’d imagine that would be the same for the majority of fans. It needs to be done, and not just from a footballing point of view. 

Can imagine the scenes at Hibs if he is home. 

I actually think if May signed now, the pressure on him to perform would be unbearable. 

34 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Maybe Shaw is just one of two strikers we're going to sign.
And I wouldn't believe everything you read on social media.

We're not signing two strikers, IMO. We've generally seemed to run with 3.

I'm really not that interested dude but thanks for replying anyway 

No need for that kind of reply.
I wasn’t arguing with you or criticising anything you said.
It looked like we were all expressing similar thoughts.

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:

R

Random has spoken...... It must be true

It may well be the intention to sign 2 strikers but given how much of a clusterfuck the summer has been so far, it's not surprising that RandomGuy is coming to that conclusion. 

I agree with Valentino re the pressure May would now be under if he does sign. I'd go a step further and say any striker we sign will be under a huge amount of pressure to hit the ground running. That's a big burden to place on a 20 year old striker who's not been prolific at top team level.

Can't help but think this is all completely self inflicted, and highlights the need for a proper scouting system in place which the manager called for last year. We were apparently preparing for this window as early as last summer. The fruits of that - 2 back up goalkeepers who wont ever play unless Clark is injured or sold, a back up right back who doesn't look ready for top flight football on the early evidence we've seen, a centre half on loan who sounded good in theory but has looked ropy in reality and possibly a striker who is a back up for a team we probably should've finished above last season, given how far clear we were of them just after the winter break.

You'd think the on field evidence would've hastened progress towards signing better players even if the fan reaction hadn't, but from the outside looking in, it doesn't appear to have made much of an impact.  Marry this all together with poor communication and it's fertile ground for scepticism and apathy.

Signing May is literally our only hope of clawing back any excitement for this season. He doesn’t even need to be as good as he was before, we just need SOMETHING to bring back a feel good vibe to the club right now and he is the one to do it. The situation at present is absolutely dire.

I think we'll (try to) sign two strikers but would rather we got the main one in first.

How frustrating will it be if we miss out on a more experienced permanent because we are developing a young guy for Hibs?

And by the sounds of it with Shaw, it could go down to the last few days of the window and if Hibs get someone.

32 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

R

Random has spoken...... It must be true

I literally put "IMO" in my post to try and avoid this type of reply. 

You crack on though.

26 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think we'll (try to) sign two strikers but would rather we got the main one in first.

How frustrating will it be if we miss out on a more experienced permanent because we are developing a young guy for Hibs?

And by the sounds of it with Shaw, it could go down to the last few days of the window and if Hibs get someone.

I imagine the second striker will depend on McMillian leaving.