Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I am exactly the same it's not that I'm angry of even annoyed it's jus that after all these years my enthusiasm has gone and I can't really be  bothered anymore..The really sad thing is that I've spoken to quite a few real diehards that have also supported the club through thick and thin and they feel the same.

2 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I am exactly the same it's not that I'm angry of even annoyed it's jus that after all these years my enthusiasm has gone and I can't really be  bothered anymore..The really sad thing is that I've spoken to quite a few real diehards that have also supported the club through thick and thin and they feel the same.

So, diehard fans that have supported through thick and thin that are giving up because we've not made a couple of signings? Because we've had a poor few results in the diddy cup and we're 2 matches into the league.

Diehard. 

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

So, diehard fans that have supported through thick and thin that are giving up because we've not made a couple of signings? Because we've had a poor few results in the diddy cup and we're 2 matches into the league.

Diehard. 

Its more how the club have acted over the past few seasons, than this summer in isolation, I imagine.

4 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Diehard. 

No you feckless plum it's not giving up it's just losing interest regrettably myself and many others are the same 

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

Just now, Lang Toon Saintee said:

No you feckless plum it's not giving up it's just losing interest regrettably my self and many others are the same 

Did you really mean 'feckless'? Odd use of the word in the context. 

Anyway I'm not sure I really see the material  difference between 'losing interest' and 'giving up'? Are you going to not give up, but not maintain interest? So not give up, but in an uninterested way?

As I said I don't really care what people do with their time, money or even their attention, but I don't want to see the club use fans obviously. I just don't really understand 'why now', as opposed to say during any of the other awful times. 

Anyway cheer up, we're overdue a change and this is without doubt the last generation of the Brown family that will be running the club. Hang in there for another decade or so.

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That's fair enough, and it's not my business to question how folk spend their time or money. Just find 'diehard' to be an odd description. 

Hes not alone, far from it, and its a huge worry. Theres a growing number of folk on social media, who do seem to have followed Saints everywhere, who have totally lost their attachment (not sure if thats the right word?) to the club. 

The club do literally nothing to try and keep fans interested in the club, nothing. Theres a decent Saints TV interview out with Liam Craig just now, buts it behind a paywall. Theres never any updates on the youth squad which by all accounts is pretty promising. No special deals. Only PR from the club is usually moaning about a lack of funds from the manager, or blaming that on a lack of fans from the chairman. 

This Summer a better club could've built up hype around our attacking options and young, homegrown, defensive core, could've added an icon up front and some genuine quality central.

Instead the club has done nothing, signed three poor back up players, all three who have looked fucking awful so far, have rejected the chance to sign a striker literally everyone, including the manager and players want, despite him coming to the club and dropping his demands, and we're now on the verge of making our marquee striker signing, who the manager has been claiming all summer is the reason we're running with a smaller squad to afford, a 20yo loanee from Hibs who hasn't even managed a goal every 6 games for his current club, who finished 2pts ahead of us last season.

Why should fans have any interest in Saints just now?

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That's fair enough, and it's not my business to question how folk spend their time or money. Just find 'diehard' to be an odd description. 

Really so having bought my first season ticket 35 years ago and being part of the lowest crowd ever at muirton following the club home and away for many years I think that counts as a diehard...Also three of the people that I have been speaking to recently have been following saints and have had season tickets since the 80's or early 90's 

1 minute ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Really so having bought my first season ticket 35 years ago and being part of the lowest crowd ever at muirton following the club home and away for many years I think that counts as a diehard...Also three of the people that I have been speaking to recently have been following saints and have had season tickets since the 80's or early 90's 

Congratulations.

So, why now?

Edit : It's fine, RG has already responded with a full comment. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

I can understand the apathy. I will continue to go every week but it's with no real enthusiasm. I didn't get out of my seat for either goal on Saturday. 

The club have absolutely no ambition. That doesn't refer to just signing players, it is in regard of everything. It's as if now that the big teams are all back, we've just accepted our seat in the corner. Killie showed last season it doesn't need to be like that. 

When it comes to money, everything at McDiarmid seems focused on how you can save it, rather than how you can make more and the rewards that brings. Eventually it will catch up with us. Probably in around May.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes not alone, far from it, and its a huge worry. Theres a growing number of folk on social media, who do seem to have followed Saints everywhere, who have totally lost their attachment (not sure if thats the right word?) to the club. 

The club do literally nothing to try and keep fans interested in the club, nothing. Theres a decent Saints TV interview out with Liam Craig just now, buts it behind a paywall. Theres never any updates on the youth squad which by all accounts is pretty promising. No special deals. Only PR from the club is usually moaning about a lack of funds from the manager, or blaming that on a lack of fans from the chairman. 

This Summer a better club could've built up hype around our attacking options and young, homegrown, defensive core, could've added an icon up front and some genuine quality central.

Instead the club has done nothing, signed three poor back up players, all three who have looked fucking awful so far, have rejected the chance to sign a striker literally everyone, including the manager and players want, despite him coming to the club and dropping his demands, and we're now on the verge of making our marquee striker signing, who the manager has been claiming all summer is the reason we're running with a smaller squad to afford, a 20yo loanee from Hibs who hasn't even managed a goal every 6 games for his current club, who finished 2pts ahead of us last season.

Why should fans have any interest in Saints just now?

Thanks, that what I was wondering. To me though it's not really that different to how it's been in recent years, clearly others see differently.

That being the case I agree it is a worry. Not sure that the signing policy by itself is such a big problem, it's more the underinvestment and lack of quality in the marketing activity which has certainly been dire. 

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

I can understand the apathy. I will continue to go every week but it's with no real enthusiasm. I didn't get out of my seat for either goal on Saturday. 

The club have absolutely no ambition. That doesn't refer to just signing players, it is in regard of everything. It's as if now that the big teams are all back, we've just accepted our seat in the corner. Killie showed last season it doesn't need to be like that. 

When it comes to money, everything at McDiarmid seems focused on how you can save it, rather than how you can make more and the rewards that brings. Eventually it will catch up with us. Probably in around May.

You honestly didn't celebrate the second goal?

But yes, the whole place reeks of a lack of ambition I will admit that and mabye that has changed in recent years. 

IMO it's fuelled by the 'we know our place and let's just be grateful we had some good memories' crowd. Natural habitat of this species - WAP.

I get the point about looking like we've given up supporting them etc because of signings but it's more like thats the straw that broke the camels back.

personally I think we've just been happy to slide back to "our level" of being a bottom 6 side once everyone else came back up and there's no ambition at the club

There's been a noticeable fall off in terms of determination and effort from the players and everything just feels so flat around the club, and they make no effort to engage with the fans - inviting a selected few to listen to SB give a pre rehearsed speech and then likely refuse to answer questions in a meaningful way doesn't count.

everything's just got complacent and lazy and that now extends to me in my support tbh

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Thanks, that what I was wondering. To me though it's not really that different to how it's been in recent years, clearly others see differently.

That being the case I agree it is a worry. Not sure that the signing policy by itself is such a big problem, it's more the underinvestment and lack of quality in the marketing activity which has certainly been dire. 

The signing policy isnt a worry?!

We've made four signings this Summer. One keeper shipped goals against Cove Rangers, the other shipped goals in defeats against League One sides, one CB/RB looks completely hopeless and miles from good enough, whilst the final, marquee (so far), signing is an absolute carthorse who had folk laughing at him because he genuinely couldn't kick the ball.

We just got played off the park by Livingston, scored 38 goals all last season, and the only attacking signing we're making is a 20yo loanee whos managed 14 goals since he made his full debut over 4 years ago.

The signing policy would be fucking pathetic, if such a thing actually existed. You think we've spent the past 7 months hunting for a striker, and the only players we've found are an ex-player, Hemmings, and two loanees who have absolutely no pedigree?

I don't know if the clubs arrogant or incompetent, if they genuinely believe this Summers business is good enough to keep us up.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

The signing policy isnt a worry?!

We've made four signings this Summer. One keeper shipped goals against Cove Rangers, the other shipped goals in defeats against League One sides, one CB/RB looks completely hopeless and miles from good enough, whilst the final, marquee (so far), signing is an absolute carthorse who had folk laughing at him because he genuinely couldn't kick the ball.

We just got played off the park by Livingston, scored 38 goals all last season, and the only attacking signing we're making is a 20yo loanee whos managed 14 goals since he made his full debut over 4 years ago.

The signing policy would be fucking pathetic, if such a thing actually existed. You think we've spent the past 7 months hunting for a striker, and the only players we've found are an ex-player, Hemmings, and two loanees who have absolutely no pedigree?

I don't know if the clubs arrogant or incompetent, if they genuinely believe this Summers business is good enough to keep us up.

I just meant that in and of itself, the signing policy season would not be, in and of itself, a reason to stop supporting the club. That's all. 

This summer has been an unmitigated disaster, that is true, in both execution and in the way it's been media managed. 

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I just meant that in and of itself, the signing policy season would not be, in and of itself, a reason to stop supporting the club. That's all. 

This Summers business sums up the clubs issue in an absolute nutshell.

Pathetic, unorganised, and completely half arsed.

10 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I get the point about looking like we've given up supporting them etc because of signings but it's more like thats the straw that broke the camels back.

personally I think we've just been happy to slide back to "our level" of being a bottom 6 side once everyone else came back up and there's no ambition at the club

There's been a noticeable fall off in terms of determination and effort from the players and everything just feels so flat around the club, and they make no effort to engage with the fans - inviting a selected few to listen to SB give a pre rehearsed speech and then likely refuse to answer questions in a meaningful way doesn't count.

everything's just got complacent and lazy and that now extends to me in my support tbh

On the point about 'an evening with Steve Brown', did anyone here get allowed in?

I was going to try for a seat but they sent the email out in the middle of the day when folk are at work, didn't check my personal email until the evening and didn't bother as I expected it would be too late. 

Would be good to know if we had any P&B reps going. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese