Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Wonder if Fyvie sitting in the stand and Callachan not being in the squad are linked. One in and one out? 

County have agreed to sell a CM today.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Some of Swansons passes in the first half were unreal, its not his fault those around him shat the fucking bed and started pummelling balls over his head.

Is this some sort of 'woosh' or deliberate wind-up? Are you saying that the problem with him is that he's simply too good for us?

Swanson has been rank, and frankly lazy,  in every single game I've seen him play since he came back. And I think that's every game he's played in except Hibs away and this year's pre-seasons. 

32 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I agree Swanson wasn't the worst, but he was predictably poor. Getting bored of saying this but I just don't want to see him in a Saints shirt ever again. The way he just gives up when he's lost the ball absolutely boils my piss. Surely he can't expect a start when Drey Wright gets back. 

Need to see the replays but seemed to me that their penalty was an absolute joke (felt sorry for Zander getting the save bit missing the follow-up) and Liam's goal being given off-side looked a bit ropey. Can't blame the ref for the performance though. We defended really poorly, particularly in the second half, Anderson doesn't have the legs for the ground he has to cover and 90 minutes just seemed cruel. 

No point in me writing a post that just agrees with everyone but it's so fucking obvious we need at least one penalty box striker. I'd like us to be able to play a proper 442 instead of only really having the choice of 1 up front which seems a formation entirely dictated by the players available rather than being a choice, and if anything shines an even bigger spotlight on the problem. 

Thought county looked quite solid for the most part, if unspectacular.They came to sit in and hit on the break, seemed effective at doing that but we did take them to bits in places, particularly MOH. I'm expecting them to stay up on that performance but it's a long season. 

A positive was that it's good to see Matty back. Didn't look overly fit but he brought a bit of quality. 

Certainly reminded me of the 'slump' performances last year - sloppy passing, centre backs getting caught out too easily. Still, we were the better team for the most part and I'm not overly worried about relegation .. yet. If I have a concern it's that they (mostly) didn't seem like a team that were playing for anything, the manager, pride, each other. 

Oh, and folk booing the team off the pitch can GTF as well.

Was pretty much in line with the linesman and thought Craig was clearly offside in the second half.

Not seen it back yet though.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Was pretty much in line with the linesman and thought Craig was clearly offside in the second half.

Not seen it back yet though.

Fair enough, I wasn't in line and seemed like a really slow flag. Maybe I just got carried away, it was a nice finish inside the near post. 

8 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Hearing your last season CB Joe Shaughnessy is on trial with Southend United

Yes, he turned us and Aberdeen down for a "big move South" 😂

Edited by RandomGuy.

So that was frustrating as hell. Yes, it's easy to criticise the players and some of them do deserve it. However, whilst I agree Swanson wasn't at his best his first chance was actually quite hard, it bounced up and he had to take it on the run. Not easy. I do think he should  have shot earlier when through on goal but that Saints all over - not instinctive enough. Everything is so slow and mechanical. 

Anyway, the first 35 mins were good. Murray was pushing in behind, we totally dominated but when your players cant put a ball in an open goal what chance do you have? We have a real problem in the striking department. We should have been home and dry.

On to the next major problem. Central defence. It's easy to blame Ando but Kerr was brutal today. He's always been an aggressive defender in that he likes to step in and get close but today he was like a puppy chasing a toy. That's not the first pen he's given away by getting way to close into the back of a defender and it wont be the last. Second goal neither defender covered themselves in glory. Too easy to slip a ball through them.

Second half was so poor. We took off Spoony which I assume was because of the dead leg. I've always said we play better as a team with Spoony on, much better shape. When he went off we went chasing the game and got caught on the counter. Liam should have sat in front of the defence at that point covering Muzz chasing forward but instead it was a bit of a shambles.  

Last 20 mins was just a procession of us putting on strikers not good enough for this league. Would anyone be sad to see those 3 strikers leave?

Lots to do but most of that needs to be in theboardroom and the managers office I'm afraid

On 20/07/2019 at 20:47, RandomGuy. said:

Duffys time at CH has seen us concede 2 goals to ICT and one to Montrose, over whats likely about 110 minutes. From what I've seen, an admittedly tiny amount, he's too raw to be played central as hes still got the youth team habit of letting attackers have a yard of space to do what they want. Maybe he'll end up like Shaughnessy and move central after a season learning how to defend out wide.

If Andersons fit enough I'd be starting him there, hes our 3rd best CB.

I think tonight's game may suggest that he is not. Duffy would have been better as I suggested. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2 minutes ago, Templar said:

I think tonight's game may suggest that he is not. Duffy would have been better as I suggested. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Aye, that's one I was wrong with tbh. Ando looks worse than I expected.

So that was frustrating as hell. Yes, it's easy to criticise the players and some of them do deserve it. However, whilst I agree Swanson wasn't at his best his first chance was actually quite hard, it bounced up and he had to take it on the run. Not easy. I do think he should  have shot earlier when through on goal but that Saints all over - not instinctive enough. Everything is so slow and mechanical. 

Anyway, the first 35 mins were good. Murray was pushing in behind, we totally dominated but when your players cant put a ball in an open goal what chance do you have? We have a real problem in the striking department. We should have been home and dry.

On to the next major problem. Central defence. It's easy to blame Ando but Kerr was brutal today. He's always been an aggressive defender in that he likes to step in and get close but today he was like a puppy chasing a toy. That's not the first pen he's given away by getting way to close into the back of a defender and it wont be the last. Second goal neither defender covered themselves in glory. Too easy to slip a ball through them.

Second half was so poor. We took off Spoony which I assume was because of the dead leg. I've always said we play better as a team with Spoony on, much better shape. When he went off we went chasing the game and got caught on the counter. Liam should have sat in front of the defence at that point covering Muzz chasing forward but instead it was a bit of a shambles.  

Last 20 mins was just a procession of us putting on strikers not good enough for this league. Would anyone be sad to see those 3 strikers leave?

Lots to do but most of that needs to be in theboardroom and the managers office I'm afraid

Agree with this assessment. Kerr was pretty poor in Montrose as well. It's easy to forget he's still young, too young to be the best in a centre half pairing, if you ask me. He needs another few seasons with a guiding Wright / Kernaghan/Duberry, to be the finished article.

Also, the one stand idea also turned into a shambles. Went to go and buy my boy a Saints top before the game. Seen the queue was half way up the car park so decided to get it at the end. Then the queue for food was ridiculous so ditched that. Decided after watching that rubbish I couldn't be arsed buying the strip at the end.

Moral of the story? Shiteness of the team and poor organisation of the match day creates apathy and will cost the club money. Today it cost them about £40 from me.

Also seriously considering if I can be arsed on Wednesday. I'll wait and see if they buy a striker.