Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Far too early to form an opinion on Duffy. He had a decent game at Montrose, apart from his slip which ultimately played a big part in costing us a goal.

I'm with RG in starting Ando tomorrow. Tough game that we have to win, and we know what we're getting with him.  Still bemused at folk who slaughter him. He's always had crazy moments in him, and maybe not the best on the ball, but he's a solid defender.

Wednesday night against Brechin I'd be bringing Duffy back in to get more first team experience.

2 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

Duffy had a better game than Kerr at Montrose! Used the ball pretty well and didn't just punt long crossfield balls all night. He got caught for the goal but more blame goes with MOH, I think, who lost it out on the left wing.

Hendry lost it.

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Duffy is going to make mistakes - he’s never had a platform to 100% learn the game so I think we’ll just have to be patient with him. From speaking to others who were at the game, they reckoned he was one of the very few positives to take away from Wednesday, slip at the goal aside. Should be remembered he’s been brought in as a full back who can play centre back as well. 

Yep, considering it was his, what, third game for the club and his first competitive senior game? I actually thought that he was OK. 

Tommy described the goal as a 'wonder strike', which I don't think is a fair reflection. It certainly was a  good goal but we can't pretend we were unlucky. At the time I remember thinking Tanser was at fault. No doubt I'll be corrected but I can't be arsed watching it back. 

Not seen Ando play since he went out on loan but from the pre-season feedback seems like benching him in favour of Duffy is a no-brainer. 

37 minutes ago, Kyle said:

In other news, a poster on WAP reckons we have a deal in place to buy Stevie May. Doesn’t read like a troll to me either. 

#Scenes. Although I've read four different club forums where they've had someone claiming they've finalised deals with him over the past few days.

37 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Hearing really positive feedback on him from players in training . That will do for me as opposed to Random deciding after two games

37 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Agree with Kyle. Very harsh to be criticising a 20 year old right-back who's been chucked into a team struggling in pre-season. Let's see how he's doing by the end of the season. 

I'm not writing him off. I just think he'll make far more mistakes than the other defenders this season. As a CH mistakes usually lead to clear chances for strikers, at full back it doesn't, so as of just now, I'd be far happier seeing him as only a full back who has the potential to grow in the central role.

To me I'd have the three CBs ahead of him, and I'd rather bring another CH to be ahead of him in there too.

I didn't intend to come across as harshly on him as I did, tbh.

The slip from Duffy on Tuesday was a real shame as he had a fine game. 

Anderson gave him a bit of a tough time at Inverness but he probably needs that having come through the sanitised environment of youth football. 

Important to remember he's only 20 this year. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

#StevieSunday

I've never seen a person go through such a range of emotions sometimes in one day on the same topic. You may have bipolar disorder.

It's been a cracking watch from a distance and I certainly wouldn't begrudge you signing him just for the sake of your sanity Random.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've never seen a person go through such a range of emotions sometimes in one day on the same topic. You may have bipolar disorder.

It's been a cracking watch from a distance and I certainly wouldn't begrudge you signing him just for the sake of your sanity Random.

😂 depends how seriously you take my posts on here tbh.

1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Is John Robertson still under contract with us?

SPFL suspension list has him as a "former St Johnstone player" but I dont know if it's just a case of him not being registered due to what it says just above it.

Screenshot_20190721-061503_Drive.thumb.jpg.926fff7f45a46d091afb611e0361b7af.jpg

3 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Is John Robertson still under contract with us?

He tweeted something at the end of last season about having a good two years at Saints. I'd heard he was going on trial to Ipswich (now confirmed) as Saints will be due compensation if they sign him. Around £20k I think.

How that works (if he was released), I'm not sure. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

😂 depends how seriously you take my posts on here tbh.

SPFL suspension list has him as a "former St Johnstone player" but I dont know if it's just a case of him not being registered due to what it says just above it.

Screenshot_20190721-061503_Drive.thumb.jpg.926fff7f45a46d091afb611e0361b7af.jpg

1 hour ago, Radford said:

He tweeted something at the end of last season about having a good two years at Saints. I'd heard he was going on trial to Ipswich (now confirmed) as Saints will be due compensation if they sign him. Around £20k I think.

Cheers. He played and scored for Ipswich's under 23s as a trialist yesterday. £20k would make a wee dent in the Stevie fund.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

There seems to be a clause where you're due a compensation figure if they sign elsewhere, and the only reason you won't get a fee if is you've "released them without due cause"/they've "signed for an amateur side". Seems to be in place until their 18th birthday, and from then on to 23/24 you have to have offered them a contract equal or better to their current deal to get compensation.

I might have misread it though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Southend 😂

Literally throwing his career away for a quick buck. 

27yo and joining a team who narrowly avoided the relegation places to Legaue Two last season. Sair ain.