Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you new here?

He'll sign for Dundee, TW will give some sob story about budgets, Saints fans will create conspiracies about Dundee overspending to make themselves feel better, Broon will be silent, knowing excuses are being made by others, and we'll sign some absolute fucking jobber who's been rattling around free agency for the 3 months who'll play 4 games before being horsed out the team for Chris fucking Kane.

Just trying to make myself feel better TBH.

Not only am I quite badly hungover, but this week we also had to deal with the Montrose event and the Stevie May emotional rollercoaster.

I'll be driving past the Apex in about an hour ... 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

I'm not sure I would've wanted Stevie May at Dunfermline. 

St Johnstone are where they are, and have achieved what they have over the past decade because (amongst quite a few reasons) spent wisely on players by and large, and not been saddled with big contracts for players past their sell by date. 

I dread to think how much Dunfermline spent last year on wages on Faissal, for him to score one league goal (a fucking penalty) when in hindsight we should've seen it coming. 

You're talking about bringing a player in who hasn't scored goals in what should have been easier circumstances up at Aberdeen, no point waiting big money on sentiment. 

All valid points. I don't see where we'll get better from though which is the bigger issue. If we can't afford May, we definitely can't afford Cummings as an example and below that we're getting into Fallon/Sutton/Cummins territory.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

I'm not sure I would've wanted Stevie May at Dunfermline. 

St Johnstone are where they are, and have achieved what they have over the past decade because (amongst quite a few reasons) spent wisely on players by and large, and not been saddled with big contracts for players past their sell by date. 

I dread to think how much Dunfermline spent last year on wages on Faissal, for him to score one league goal (a fucking penalty) when in hindsight we should've seen it coming. 

You're talking about bringing a player in who hasn't scored goals in what should have been easier circumstances up at Aberdeen, no point waiting big money on sentiment. 

Not one of our strikers scored more than 3 goals last season. 

Has TW ever signed a centre forward who's scored double figures in a season?

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why have you changed your picture from Stevie May to a failed Dundee trialist?

I've been switching my avatar between pictures of Stevie May to random other players all week to try and bait RandomGuy. He took it once but I fear he's grown wise to my ruse.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

With all this chat about how lacking in goalscorers we are, it's quite ironic that 5 of the top 10 St Johnstone goalscorers in premier/ Premiership league history currently play in our first team. 

Isn't that mainly due to them being there for hundreds of games and the numbers needed to be in that list pretty low?

Just now, steviemay17 said:

Isn't that mainly due to them being there for hundreds of games and the numbers needed to be in that list pretty low?

Yes definitely factors. Wasn't really using it as an argument either way, just thought it an interesting stat, especially when goalscorers is such a big topic.

Incidentally, if we did sign Stevie May, it would be 6 of the top 10.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Brian Graham and MOH I think

MOH isnt a centre forward.

Graham scored 9 league goals in his 24 games here, and hes TWs most successful striker signing 😂

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

With all this chat about how lacking in goalscorers we are, it's quite ironic that 5 of the top 10 St Johnstone goalscorers in premier/ Premiership league history currently play in our first team. 

Who are the 5? Wotherspoon, Davidson, Craig, O'Halloran... Anderson maybe?

@Radford put  together a list of all the St Johnstone Premier goalscorers, so the list is  his work:

This is only goals scored in the top division, since 1975:

47 - Steven MacLean

43 - Liam Craig

39 - Paul Wright

32 - Murray Davidson

28 - Harry Curran

22 - Stevie May

19 - Roddy Grant

18 - Michael O'Halloran

17 - David Wotherspoon

16 - Chris Kane

14 - Graham Cummins, Nathan Lowndes, Fran Sandaza

13 - Dave Mackay, Keigan Parker, Danny Swanson

12 - Steven Anderson, Nigel Hasselbaink, George O'Boyle

11 - Vinny Arkins, Steve Maskrey

10 - John Davies, Allan Moore, John O'Neil, Cillian Sheridan

9 - Brian Graham, Gunni Torfason

8 - John Brogan, Paddy Connolly, Peter MacDonald, Jimmy O'Rourke, Blair Alston

7 - Gary Bollan, Darren Dods, Graeme Jones, Collin Samuel, Mark Treanor, Tommy Turner, Rowan Vine

6 - Billy Dodds, Paul Hartley, Paul Kane, Alan Kernaghan, Philip Scott, Matt Kennedy, Joe Shaughnessy

5 - Kenny Deuchar, Tommy Lovenkrands, Alan Lyons, John Paul McBride, Ian Redford, Miguel Simao, Momo Sylla

4 - Ray Blair, Chris Millar, Sam Parkin, Gordon Scott, Gregory Tade, David McMillan

There is then another 80 plus players that have scored 3 or less goals

Whilst by no means impossible, I always thought Tommy's "15 goal a season striker" comment was quite ambitious on our budget, unless we unearthed a hidden gem.

In the 21 seasons we've played in the premier/ ship, the following players have been our top scorer with double figures. Every other prem season, the top scorer has been in single figures:

1991-92 Paul Wright                 - 18

1992-93 Paul Wright                 - 14

1997-98 George O'Boyle         - 10

1999-00 Nathan Lowndes      - 10

2000-01 Keigan Parker            - 10

2011-12 Fran Sandaza            - 14

2013-14 Stevie May                   - 20

2015-16 Steve Maclean           - 14

2016-17 Danny Swanson        - 10

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

There's still hope RandomGuy. No signings today for Dundee, or so their fans reckon.

Yes, give me hope...

d2f1708751b2ef52695536b3de38c06e.gif.15cc175ee92cb5c6f34e2dbb61f1e71f.gif