Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Untitled.thumb.png.44da90fb81cad4a9db179b54e61e3a0c.png

Got this far then gave up. Perfect opportunity to counter as Montrose attack ends with the keeper getting the ball. They have, when the keeper gets it, one player out the park in the corner you can't see, and three players within 20 yards of our goal. A quick roll out to Tanser follows. Tanser sees no options and goes up the wing to MOH, who is under pressure and facing his own goal, he also sees no options and crumples down and wins a free kick.

We have two players behind the goalkeeper. Callachan jogs out the box, with nobody within 10 yards of him. Hes twice available for a pass, first from Tanser, and then from MOH, but never once seems to shout or signal he wants the ball. Murray Davidson actively runs out of space towards a Montrose midfielder, completely closing off another outball when MOH receives it. McCann doesn't appear at all.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You’re a masochist RandomGuy.  

I made it about 30 mins and gave up with frustration. So many poor decisions made by the players.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I made it about 30 mins and gave up with frustration. So many poor decisions made by the players.

Without Liam Craig all we seem to have is "reactive midfielders" who will try and win the ball or tackle but have absolutely no idea what to do with it. we also struggle to get our wingers in space and running forward with the ball, its always them trying to come back with one or two defenders on their back when they receive it

2 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Without Liam Craig all we seem to have is "reactive midfielders" who will try and win the ball or tackle but have absolutely no idea what to do with it. we also struggle to get our wingers in space and running forward with the ball, its always them trying to come back with one or two defenders on their back when they receive it

Aye.

Untitled.thumb.png.692e88640111a2f55dc54f5705467762.png

Montrose pushing forward, pass goes astray, Tanser wins the ball near where hes situated and it works it way back to the keeper. Keeper has the ball at his feet for 5/6 seconds.

No midfielder bothered to try and come short, despite the previous 35 minutes seeing Hendry fail to do anything with massive lumps up the park. As the ball goes up the park you see Callachan and Davidson are standing with five yards of each other in the centre circle, McCann slightly more advanced. Swanson and Hendry are in the opposition half of the centre circle. 

I repeat. Our goalkeeper has the ball at his feet, and we have five players stood within about 15 yards of each other in the centre of the park.

4 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Not sure I totally agree. Unlike Paton I think there's enough of a player in Callachan to be a utility Davidson. Only just mind. His touch can be poor but his distribution can be impressive at times. He doesn't always seem to be in the right place though. Anyway the jury is still out for me. 

Agree with all the other comments. McCann was the better of the 2, and Davidson only really came to life when he got forward. He did well in his usual role of winning balls in the air though. 

Having had time to calm down a bit I'm still as frustrated. No excuses but that pitch was a factor. Time after time our touch players (particularly MoH) really struggled with the ball sticking when they were trying to play little lay-offs. It was noticable how much harder and quicker the passing was by Montrose. Also, it seemed a really narrow pitch to me so I'm not sure that 5 across the middle helped us. We seemed to get tangled up trying to go through the middle with too many bodies (like a rugby game at times), we had nothing out wide because we couldn't get behind or run through their (very good) full backs. And long ball wasn't an option as they always had 2 on Hendry who couldn't do the hold-up play a la Tony Watt. 

Out-played, out-fought and out-thought all over the park really. 

edit: Also their substitutions were more impactful. They took off the tall target man CF that to be fair Kerr was dealing with pretty well, and started to push wide through the channels more, particularly the Swanson/Tanser weaker side. It was staggeringly obvious how much MoH was tracking back compared to Danny. Obviously we had nothing on the bench that gave Tommy options. 

Agree with you about Callachan, he has had good games, and makes good contributions in matches, but he also can make really careless mistakes. He always seems frantic and rushed. Last night he was very poor.

Swanson played on the right, though at different spells he wandered to try to get involved more. It was MOH alongside Tanser.

Agree with others in that I usually think of them playing the other way round, and would liked to have seen them switched at some points.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree with you about Callachan, he has had good games, and makes good contributions in matches, but he also can make really careless mistakes. He always seems frantic and rushed. Last night he was very poor.

Swanson played on the right, though at different spells he wandered to try to get involved more. It was MOH alongside Tanser.

Agree with others in that I usually think of them playing the other way round, and would liked to have seen them switched at some points.

Callachan plays like a spaniel puppy.

Replaying yesterday in my head it was indeed MOH on the left. Must have just assumed it was Danny when I was thinking about the goal, and yes he did move across the park a fair bit (much to the annoyance of the old Saints fan I was sat next to). 

MOH was definitely, absolutely, tracking back much more and Swanson looked done even at the start of the second half. 

6 hours ago, Radford said:

McCann was better than Callachan for me. The latter has the first touch of an elephant. He is disproportionately popular though.

He runs around a lot so wins him favour with a lot of Saints fans. His positioning is absolutely horrendous. I've never seen a central midfielder get caught the wrong side of the ball so often. He's the cause of at least 2 or 3 counter attacks in every game. Goes to ground far too easy without getting the ball far too often too. Not to even mention his first touch. 

I probably sound like I have a vandetta against him but it frustrates the hell out of me that he plays at this level and our manager sees fit to him. He's nowhere near good enough for Saints. 

Glad so many people share my view of Callachan. I’d personally have him as one of the players to let go in the hope we could get a better replacement.  That probably won’t happen but I think the squad would mostly likely be improved if it did. 

Edited by Kyle

I quite like Callaghan in the squad as cover for Davidson who historically misses games each season through injury and suspension.He is not,and probably never will be a playmaker but has a tremendous workrate..TW said earlier this year that his priority was signing a playmaker and now he appears to have settled on the two young guys to fill that roll .Only time will tell if he is right but it is another area where we need more creativity..My personal wish list would be another central defender who can cover a full back position,a creative central midfield player and two forwards with McMillan +1 (probably Swanson) departing.....I know it's not going to happen though 😁

I'm not sure there's an awful lot to say. No new signings for a while now and we'll not get any Stevie May news until Saturday at the earliest, no new injuries that we've heard about and we don't have a game until Sunday.

My season ticket hasn't arrived yet. I suppose we can discuss that if you want. :lol: