Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

33 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Like this?

Saints have supplied some of your best moments at the fitba, that game against 9 men when you scored in injury time, the gretna debacle then throw in Saints fan cuthbert against hibs in the play offs.

In fact that's Accies highlight reel right there.

23 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I know it's not much but there should be a deal done within the next couple of days no idea who though 

Hope you're right but given how this summer has gone so far, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Bit of a change of topic, but how did the midfield line up against Montrose? I've seen it suggested McCann was playing as the most advanced of the three? I'd assumed when I'd seen the line up it would have been Callaghan or Davidson further forward and McCann would have played Craig's usual role. I know it's a distant third to a striker and at least one defender but I'd really hoped we'd have another option outside Liam. The thought of him missing an extended period and Davidson and Callaghan playing as our main pairing gives me the fear a little.

1 minute ago, nelsjfc said:

Bit of a change of topic, but how did the midfield line up against Montrose? I've seen it suggested McCann was playing as the most advanced of the three? I'd assumed when I'd seen the line up it would have been Callaghan or Davidson further forward and McCann would have played Craig's usual role. I know it's a distant third to a striker and at least one defender but I'd really hoped we'd have another option outside Liam. The thought of him missing an extended period and Davidson and Callaghan playing as our main pairing gives me the fear a little.

McCann was a bit more attacking, Davidson sat back a bit but also got forward, think Callaghan was in Forfar or something cause he wasn't on the fucking pitch

Callaghan was better than McCann in my opinion but that's not saying much. We were better when Muzz moved forward - he was the only one getting a foot in. Big shout out for the awful dive by Kyle near the end - shocking and deserved his booking.

Yeah, Davidson was deepest, maybe because Saints expected Montrose to go longer? Whether Wright asked him to or he took it on himself, he pushed forward late on.

McCann was better than Callachan for me. The latter has the first touch of an elephant. He is disproportionately popular though.

Edited by Radford

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

than Callachan for me. The latter has the first touch of an elephant. He is disproportionately popular though.

The call it the Paton Phenomenon. If you lunge into tackles and charge about, it shows you care, and that's what matters. 

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The call it the Paton Phenomenon. If you lunge into tackles and charge about, it shows you care, and that's what matters. 

Not sure I totally agree. Unlike Paton I think there's enough of a player in Callachan to be a utility Davidson. Only just mind. His touch can be poor but his distribution can be impressive at times. He doesn't always seem to be in the right place though. Anyway the jury is still out for me. 

Agree with all the other comments. McCann was the better of the 2, and Davidson only really came to life when he got forward. He did well in his usual role of winning balls in the air though. 

Having had time to calm down a bit I'm still as frustrated. No excuses but that pitch was a factor. Time after time our touch players (particularly MoH) really struggled with the ball sticking when they were trying to play little lay-offs. It was noticable how much harder and quicker the passing was by Montrose. Also, it seemed a really narrow pitch to me so I'm not sure that 5 across the middle helped us. We seemed to get tangled up trying to go through the middle with too many bodies (like a rugby game at times), we had nothing out wide because we couldn't get behind or run through their (very good) full backs. And long ball wasn't an option as they always had 2 on Hendry who couldn't do the hold-up play a la Tony Watt. 

Out-played, out-fought and out-thought all over the park really. 

edit: Also their substitutions were more impactful. They took off the tall target man CF that to be fair Kerr was dealing with pretty well, and started to push wide through the channels more, particularly the Swanson/Tanser weaker side. It was staggeringly obvious how much MoH was tracking back compared to Danny. Obviously we had nothing on the bench that gave Tommy options. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Started watching the match replay from last night. First time I can remember seeing Swanson on the right wing for us, not sure why as having him there and MOH left stunts both them.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Started watching the match replay from last night. First time I can remember seeing Swanson on the right wing for us, not sure why as having him there and MOH left stunts both them.

Meant to mention that but Swanson played on the right wing on his infamous debut. 

Starting them there was maybe fine but strange he never tried switching them. 

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Meant to mention that but Swanson played on the right wing on his infamous debut. 

Starting them there was maybe fine but strange he never tried switching them. 

Was away to ask if they switched at any point.

About 20 mins in and theres been at least one occasion where they've both ended up on the left wing almost side by side due to Swanson wandering.

Montrose having a striker capable of holding the ball up is helping them alot aswell. Hendry always seems to be stretching for the ball when its played up to him.