Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Loving the 4-6-1 formation, think Tommy should try that. 

What a numty I am. can't count. It should have read 4:2:3:1. Another sitting in midfield with Liam. 6 defending and 4 attacking using the attacking players at our disposal. 

3 minutes ago, Templar said:

What a numty I am. can't count. It should have read 4:2:3:1. Another sitting in midfield with Liam. 6 defending and 4 attacking using the attacking players at our disposal. 

Do you not think Liam Gordon should be starting next season? If so, why?

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Jesus. No place for Liam or Muzz?

We will have 2 keepers, Ross is going out on loan.

7 defenders, all of whom will be capable of first team football.

9 midfielders, again all capable at this level.

Then 5 strikers, 4 if McMillan gets punted.

That's more than enough imo.

No place for Liam???? I do not see Muzz as a automatic choice if we are playing with 2 defending midfield players and 3 attacking midfielders; 2 wide and 1 through the centre. But football is all about opinions and what formation your prefer. 

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Do you not think Liam Gordon should be starting next season? If so, why?

I think Liam would do ok next year but I would like to see a more experienced Centre back in the team to hold the defense together. We were fortunate, if you look at the cup final team we had three captains and mean captains in our back 4. Therefore I chose Kerr too partner an old head who can control the defense at the back rather than Liam. 

Just now, Templar said:

I think Liam would do ok next year but I would like to see a more experienced Centre back in the team to hold the defense together. We were fortunate, if you look at the cup final team we had three captains and mean captains in our back 4. Therefore I chose Kerr too partner an old head who can control the defense at the back rather than Liam. 

1196906931_giphy(29).gif.285300d41502c14d435441bbd7a04cd7.gif

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

1196906931_giphy(29).gif.285300d41502c14d435441bbd7a04cd7.gif

My opinion. We conceded 48 goals last year and would have been more had finished top 6. I do believe 2 young centre backs is asking for trouble. We need some one at the back  to control the back 4 and the midfield. At this moment in time we have no one. Hence at times we lose silly goals. I have now got out :)

Really quite happy with the squad until you get to the strikers.

I feel we need two new strikers,a main and a younger hungry one who is trying to impress both fighting to get into the starting eleven.

At the moment I do not see us scoring many goals at all.

Liam Gordon is more than capable of partnering Kerr and I hope that is the pairing that materialises.
Liam Craig can sit in and do what he did so well for large parts of last season so I don't see any urgency with a signing of that ilk. If we do go down the road ( in some games at least) of playing three behind the forward I'd expect each of them to get 7-10 minimum, if the forward is one who can hold the play up and use knock-downs etc. I actually think we've two of them already at the club in Hendry and McMillan, though I'd probably prefer to see us go for someone else.

I feel we need two new strikers,a main and a younger hungry one who is trying to impress both fighting to get into the starting eleven.

I'm totally split with the forward area of our team. If we do play three, very capable, players behind a striker it is less important that the striker has to bag a whack of goals on his own. Get it right and the three supporting could fire enough between them to more than make up for a low scoring striker. If that low scoring striker happens to create a million opportunities by holding the ball up and knocking balls on then he's doing his job perfectly as a lone striker. If he happens to bang in 10 himself that is a major bonus. I already think there's a player here in Hendry who is more than capable of playing that role and his ratio when he does start suggests he's probably capable of ten over a season.

1 hour ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
2 hours ago, akuram said:

I'm totally split with the forward area of our team. If we do play three, very capable, players behind a striker it is less important that the striker has to bag a whack of goals on his own. Get it right and the three supporting could fire enough between them to more than make up for a low scoring striker. If that low scoring striker happens to create a million opportunities by holding the ball up and knocking balls on then he's doing his job perfectly as a lone striker. If he happens to bang in 10 himself that is a major bonus. I already think there's a player here in Hendry who is more than capable of playing that role and his ratio when he does start suggests he's probably capable of ten over a season.

Hendry has 2 goals in 5 starts, and both goals were against a Championship standard team.

I'm not sure anyone really has any idea at what level he'll be able to consistently score goals yet, but I'd be surprised if he got 10 this season.

Hendry has 2 goals in 5 starts, and both goals were against a Championship standard team.
I'm not sure anyone really has any idea at what level he'll be able to consistently score goals yet, but I'd be surprised if he got 10 this season.
2 in 5 - potential to equate to 12 or so over a season. It doesn't matter who he scored them against, he scored them.

Just now, scottmcleanscontacts said:
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

2 in 5 - potential to equate to 12 or so over a season. It doesn't matter who he scored them against, he scored them.

Is this what its like talking to me?

26 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Is this what its like talking to me?

Don't know, who are you?

I'm only joking.

His record so far suggests he should be given a chance next season, probably ahead of Kane and McMillan, but its not enough to suggest he'll be good enough to reach double figures. I wouldn't want to be resting our striking hopes on Hendry.

Still no sign of the new striker. I keep wondering where is going to come from. Do we have a scouting system? It would have good for him to have a preseason and a couple of games in Belfast. I noticed the top goalscorer in their league was Joe Gormley so he will not be coming from Ireland.

21 hours ago, Templar said:

I believe Tommy is correct to go for quality rather than quantity. In my opinion the following 8 will start if playing consistently well. That will jump to 9 when we sighn our Striker. That will leave 4 places to fill with15 players. It makes sense. I am assuming a lot Wirght and O'Halloran to have a return of form and Kennedy settling in the middle

…………….……Zander Clark

Richard Foster…. Jason Kerr…. ????.... Scott Tanser

……….….????...........Liam Craig………….?????

Drey Wright…. Matty Kennedy…. Michael O'Halloran

……………………..????

I made an arse of it first time round. Got some advice and this is what I meant to post. You will have to get used this dottery old bugger It is terrible what age does.

Probables.png