Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Guest Moomintroll
You could also have 6 players injured at any one time for me it's a very tight ship.
You stick a couple of youth team players on the bench then, once in a while one of them gets on, takes their chance & becomes a regular. Serious question, were Celtic not about to release Stephen McManus before they gave him an end of season game at left back & Strachan decided to keep him on for the next season?

You could also have 6 players injured at any one time for me it's a very tight ship.

You could, but you’re still left with 18 first team players and a number of kids who given the chance might impress. You’re trying to argue and provoke controversy, but really you don’t know anything about the situation or saints as a club.

12 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I understand that and can see the thinking with better quality and less wages,I'm not saying hes wrong I just think it's a gamble.

Its a different world to what you are used to at Celtic. You buy Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Dundee United's best players and fill your bench with them.

We don't have that luxury.

13 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
29 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You stick a couple of youth team players on the bench then, once in a while one of them gets on, takes their chance & becomes a regular. Serious question, were Celtic not about to release Stephen McManus before they gave him an end of season game at left back & Strachan decided to keep him on for the next season?

Lets keep it on the saints please,Tommy said he would put the young talent out on loan plus pull out of the reserve league.
So keeping the best ones for first team games and send the rest out on loan and cut the number to 24 a saving on 5 or 6 players.

Guest Moomintroll
Lets keep it on the saints please,Tommy said he would put the young talent out on loan plus pull out of the reserve league.
So keeping the best ones for first team games and send the rest out on loan and cut the number to 24 a saving on 5 or 6 players.

I will allow others to judge that response willy, I was asking an honest question relating to squad numbers & the opportunities that may arise (I am aware that McManus was 22/23 at the time but it could relate to a talented 17/18 that would otherwise be held back)

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I will allow others to judge that response willy, I was asking an honest question relating to squad numbers & the opportunities that may arise (I am aware that McManus was 22/23 at the time but it could relate to a talented 17/18 that would otherwise be held back)

Listen i'm not saying reducing the numbers won't give younger players a better chance of first team football.
I'm saying with injuries and suspensions the saints will need to be very lucky to maintain their level with just 24.

I believe Tommy is correct to go for quality rather than quantity. In my opinion the following 8 will start if playing consistently well. That will jump to 9 when we sighn our Striker. That will leave 4 places to fill with15 players. It makes sense. I am assuming a lot Wirght and O'Halloran to have a return of form and Kennedy settling in the middle

…………….……Zander Clark

Richard Foster…. Jason Kerr…. ????.... Scott Tanser

……….….????...........Liam Craig………….?????

Drey Wright…. Matty Kennedy…. Michael O'Halloran

……………………..????

Guest Moomintroll
Listen i'm not saying reducing the numbers won't give younger players a better chance of first team football.
I'm saying with injuries and suspensions the saints will need to be very lucky to maintain their level with just 24.
They wouldn't, neither would we be in the same boat but I understand going for quality over quantity. If you get it in the shorts with regards to injuries & suspensions then thems the breaks if it is your team that suffers, but it can be at that point you can unearth the diamonds, equally & more usually you just unearth an unready crock of shit but until that point you just don't know & they can't be much worse than a 30 y.o journeyman jobber tbf.

14 minutes ago, Templar said:

I believe Tommy is correct to go for quality rather than quantity. In my opinion the following 8 will start if playing consistently well. That will jump to 9 when we sighn our Striker. That will leave 4 places to fill with15 players. It makes sense. I am assuming a lot Wirght and O'Halloran to have a return of form and Kennedy settling in the middle

…………….……Zander Clark

Richard Foster…. Jason Kerr…. ????.... Scott Tanser

……….….????...........Liam Craig………….?????

Drey Wright…. Matty Kennedy…. Michael O'Halloran

……………………..????

Jesus. No place for Liam or Muzz?

We will have 2 keepers, Ross is going out on loan.

7 defenders, all of whom will be capable of first team football.

9 midfielders, again all capable at this level.

Then 5 strikers, 4 if McMillan gets punted.

That's more than enough imo.

Jesus. No place for Liam or Muzz?
We will have 2 keepers, Ross is going out on loan.
7 defenders, all of whom will be capable of first team football.
9 midfielders, again all capable at this level.
Then 5 strikers, 4 if McMillan gets punted.
That's more than enough imo.

It’s ridiculous. Liam should be straight in there.
Even IF Joe returns.

Guest Moomintroll
Loving the 4-6-1 formation, think Tommy should try that. 
Putting burly 6 footer Boris McGrew on the trapdoor in the centre circle would put paid to that plan imho.

In fairness I should probably add in the youngsters to my list now there’s no reserve league but frankly the club have never actually said who’s still with the club. . I noticed on twitter yesterday that we’d signed a guy going by the name Rudy Bou from Kennoway Star Hearts u17s. No idea if that’s his actual name but they’re wishing him all the best with us. 

We’ve run with smaller squads that 24 senior players and been fine - the year after we won the cup being a prime example, where we finished 4th with a tiny squad and after losing our best player.  

Goalkeeper - First choice Clark, back up options - Parish, Sinclair, Wills 

right back - First choice Foster, back up options Duffy; emergency Wotherpoon, Anderson or any under 18s  

centre backs - First choice - Kerr and Gordon -back up Anderson, Duffy and any available u18s

Left back - First choice Tanser -  up - new boy; emergency Foster, Craig and any u18s

right Wing/left wing - First choice - Wright and Kennedy other options - MOH, Wotherspoon, Swanson, Northcott 

Centre mids - First choice - Davidson and Craig - other options Callachan, McCann, McClean, Wotherspoon 

Forwards - MOH And new signing - back ups  - Kane, Hendry, McMillan, Robertson, 

Some areas definitely stronger than others and I’d rather we had more than 2 defenders over the age of 24 but no reason to suggest we can’t cope with all but the worst injury crisis, where we’d probably end up signing a couple of players anyway. Wright seemed to suggest he’ll be leaving room in the budget to sign others if required, whether that’s to alleviate an injury crisis or for a player who’ll improve us. 

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

sidney poitier GIF by Maudit

I should probably explain that :lol: 

That’s the name he’s going by on twitter. I could tell the world your Twitter handle and they’d realise that’s not your real name either. 😛 

I still wouldn't be surprised if Anderson, McMillan and Swanson leave before the end of the window. The latter will get an opportunity first but if he's going to be on the edge of things as much as he was last season, then he'll be wanting to play football at this stage of his career. I still hope he can show what we've seen in the past. 

Anderson will be wanting to play football too but obviously can't go anywhere until we boost our numbers there. I think this is the right time for him to move on though. Suggestions at the Irish end is that McMillan isn't interested in going back to Ireland but he really needs to have the pre-season of his life if he's to get redemption here. The loan at Hamilton did him more harm than good. 

I'm with @Kyle on a potential lack of experience in defence but the strength in our coaching staff does seem to be drilling a backline and they are maybe confident they can do that with new recruits.

All the midfield is really missing is the same as when the window closed last summer, a replacement in the role that Morris and Millar occupied for so long. But the Goss experiment showed that you can get it wrong there and that Liam Craig makes the need less pressing. I'm still happy to continue with him and hopefully see McClean and McCann develop. Really hope in a couple of weeks time that we've seen them get a lot of minutes over the friendlies.

This striker situation terrifies me. That was another point raised on the Sportsound podcast, TW prefers to look for safe players who give him 7/10 every week, rather than a 9/10 but then a month of 4/10. So steady and reliable in the British market. A puffs cheeks moment if ever there was one... 

Edited by Radford

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I should probably explain that :lol: 

That’s the name he’s going by on twitter. I could tell the world your Twitter handle and they’d realise that’s not your real name either. 😛 

Their official results list his name as Rudy Bou when hes scored, so...

Apparently two lads from that club have been training one night a week with Saints for the past month.