Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think we could pick up a decent goalkeeping option that would do us until our next prodigy is ready tbh. Young Sinclair has the minerals to be a fantastic goalie.

Was forgetting about him. He’s the one at BSC? I just hope the board back the several exciting players we have into longer contracts as it’s almost certain we have sellable assets at the club. Obviously it’d be nice to keep them longer term but realistically that won’t happen.

45 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I’m led to believe Stoke have been monitoring Zander in recent weeks. I wonder if they’d take a punt on either Jason or Zander himself. How much would we want for them and who’d be the bigger loss? Personally I think Zander is the bigger asset as I’ve not seen any of Hurst to know whether he’d fill the void. I genuinely think over time Liam could be a fantastic CH too.

Clark would be harder to replace, in January, I reckon.

Also..

49 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I’m led to believe Stoke have been monitoring Zander in recent weeks. I wonder if they’d take a punt on either Jason or Zander himself. How much would we want for them and who’d be the bigger loss? Personally I think Zander is the bigger asset as I’ve not seen any of Hurst to know whether he’d fill the void. I genuinely think over time Liam could be a fantastic CH too.

Curses ye, Callum Davidson.

If Stoke have had scouts at our games, I must say I'm much more concerned about losing the likes of Kerr than I would be about Clark. He's not dropped any clangers recently, but Kerr has been excellent of late and is the perfect age for a Stoke to take a gamble on and develop.

I remember the first time I watched Clark up at Pittodrie in the 5-1 (I think) and being staggered by the distance he was kicking, basically turning defence into attack in one swift motion. He’ll be a huge miss when he does go. I just hope (Kerr included) he goes down south and for a fair and sizeable fee. It would be a travesty to lose any of this current crop for pennies when the first bid comes in. What a team big Tommy’s built up.

42 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I remember the first time I watched Clark up at Pittodrie in the 5-1 (I think) and being staggered by the distance he was kicking, basically turning defence into attack in one swift motion. He’ll be a huge miss when he does go. I just hope (Kerr included) he goes down south and for a fair and sizeable fee. It would be a travesty to lose any of this current crop for pennies when the first bid comes in. What a team big Tommy’s built up.

Yeah I think that was his first start, although he did come off the bench the week before against Dundee United at home - made a fantastic save at close range with the game finely poised at 1-1 and then I'm sure our winner came from one of his launches up the park. 

No doubt Clark is a very good goalkeeper though. The defence clearly trust him as much as he trusts them and it's helped us build up such a formidable defensive record over the last few months.

Do Stoke not still have Butland? They’d surely need to sell him first to consider Clark, not heard any rumours regarding him cause he’d be a large transfer fee for sure.

Liam Craig now only 5 goals off equalling the record for top Saints goalscorer in Premier/Ship history. Shame he missed that penalty against st Mirren(?) as he probably would have taken the ones since as well and might have only been a couple of goals behind Macca. 

This is only goals scored in the top division, since 1975. Original list was compiled by @Radford , with this season's so far added in. A fair few current players on the list.

47 - Steven MacLean

42 - Liam Craig

39 - Paul Wright

30 - Murray Davidson

28 - Harry Curran

22 - Stevie May

19 - Roddy Grant

17 - Michael O'Halloran

17 - David Wotherspoon

14 - Graham Cummins, Nathan Lowndes, Fran Sandaza

13 - Chris Kane, Dave Mackay, Keigan Parker, Danny Swanson

12 - Steven Anderson, Nigel Hasselbaink, George O'Boyle

11 - Vinny Arkins, Steve Maskrey

10 - John Davies, Allan Moore, John O'Neil, Cillian Sheridan

9 - Brian Graham, Gunni Torfason

8 - John Brogan, Paddy Connolly, Peter MacDonald, Jimmy O'Rourke, Blair Alston

7 - Gary Bollan, Darren Dods, Graeme Jones, Collin Samuel, Mark Treanor, Tommy Turner, Rowan Vine

6 - Billy Dodds, Paul Hartley, Paul Kane, Alan Kernaghan, Philip Scott

5 - Kenny Deuchar, Tommy Lovenkrands, Alan Lyons, John Paul McBride, Ian Redford, Miguel Simao, Momo Sylla, Joe Shaughnessy, Matt Kennedy

4 - Ray Blair, Chris Millar, Sam Parkin, Gordon Scott, Gregory Tade, David McMillan

There is then another 80 plus players that have scored 3 or less goals.

8 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Personally think Clark is a little underrated by some Saints fans... 

I imagine I'd fall into that category. He's a decent keeper but I'm often left wondering if he could have done more at goals conceded. 

What I'd say though is I'll definitely keep an eye on how he talks to and organises the defence in the next few matches. 

More generally, I think folk are getting a bit carried away about saleable assets. Other than Kerr, I don't think there's really anyone at the moment. He just lacks a little bit of pace to be really excited about how much we could get for him though. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

I imagine I'd fall into that category. He's a decent keeper but I'm often left wondering if he could have done more at goals conceded. 

What I'd say though is I'll definitely keep an eye on how he talks to and organises the defence in the next few matches. 

More generally, I think folk are getting a bit carried away about saleable assets. Other than Kerr, I don't think there's really anyone at the moment. He just lacks a little bit of pace to be really excited about how much we could get for him though. 

Stop being realistic,  that'll not make saints any money. They're all world beaters.

Not sure I agree Radford about being carried away, granted you see ALOT more of the team than I do. I just think we need to push prices as much as we can given how much money is in England these days. There’s no way McKenna is twice the player of Kerr and his value is already silly (in Scottish market terms).

There's talk from some Irish League fans on Twitter that a few clubs have asked us about McMillan.

Marc McNulty apparently been told he can leave Reading on loan.

Not expecting either to happen, but just some form of rumour to think about, since it's likely to be a dull window.

When you look at his stats, he's played less than the equivalent of 6 full games this season in the league (I don't think he's been injured either), so you'd imagine there will be plenty of Irish clubs asking about McMillan.

A lot will be down to him I suppose and how happy he is with his current situation.

I think he's capable of scoring goals but he's maybe just a bit short of the required quality in other areas. 

McMillans an interesting one, he gets in good positions to score and has when given a run, so I don’t doubt he’d grab 10 goals a season playing every week, but as Radford says his all round game is weaker than say Watt’s. Not that I think it’s bad, but he’s not a lone player and needs someone to do his running.

I’d also say, he’s a qualified architect, so can easily fall back onto part time football if that’s what he wants. If he’s realised that full time football isn’t quite for him then he’s not up shit creek. It’s another from Ireland where he’s shown he’s a decent player, but then Gormley is proving how bad that league is. (If that’s the right league!!)

In form Matty Kennedy has promised St Johnstone fans he has no intention of leaving during the January transfer window...Kennedy said: 'I would like to be here...I've had my move before and I don't see why I'd want to leave here. It's not about a big move. I don't see why I would want to leave...I'm happy here and the happier I am the better I play.

Hopefully Tony Watt feels the same and extends his deal.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hopefully Tony Watt feels the same and extends his deal.

They seem to be besties so it certainly wont harm our chances of getting his contract extended. If that's the way Kennedy is feeling, we should be looking to add another year to his deal too.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

They seem to be besties so it certainly wont harm our chances of getting his contract extended. If that's the way Kennedy is feeling, we should be looking to add another year to his deal too.

Someone made a good point the other day, I think it's more important to get your squad built for next season, i.e. sign up those out of contract, before you look at those under contract, although personally I'd make an exception for Kerr. 

Once the manager has the guys he wants retained until at least 2020, then you look at Kennedy etc... 

Just now, Radford said:

Someone made a good point the other day, I think it's more important to get your squad built for next season, i.e. sign up those out of contract, before you look at those under contract, although personally I'd make an exception for Kerr. 

Once the manager has the guys he wants retained until at least 2020, then you look at Kennedy etc... 

A very good point well made and I agree in respect of Kerr being the most obvious exception as he's a sellable asset. I know we disagree on who is and isn't sellable, but I think, with all the press Kennedy is currently getting, he falls into roughly the same category. He's only just turned 24 and played well down south before - indeed the Portsmouth and Plymouth fans both seemed disappointed that he opted to sign for us and not them - so if he keeps playing the way he has over the last few months, we could find a buyer waiting for him. I'd rather go into  that in a position of strength - ie 2 years left on his deal - than losing him for half his value because he's only got months left. If the interest doesn't come then we've got an excellent player for our level tied down for a long time. A win-win in my book.