Kyle

St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

They should know everything about their customers but they don't, St Johnstone isn't run like a proper business and it's all pretty amateurish tbh. But to change it needs investment and the right staff, I'm not sure the spoon fed Sparky has the minerals for such a task.

They just don't reach out enough to ask. Picking super fans for focus groups or setting up supporters forums will get you so far, because of course you have to keep the regulars happy, but they're not the ones the club really need to focus on. Time should be spent finding out how to turn Mr 5-games-a-season into Mr 8-games-a-season and finding out why lapsed fans just don't bother turning up at all anymore. They won't find those answers by asking around the stadium, they need to open up all channels and be prepared to search for the constructive answers in amongst the "buy some decent playurz" stuff that will predictably come from the banter brigade.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Richard Foster has just declared himself disappointed not to have been called up to the Scotland squad. Good grief.

That's Ricky "Richard" Foster to you.

There is one main reason that our crowds are suffering - the club has done absolutely nothing to try and get people to come. The family deal is arguably the best deal in Scottish football, yet what do they do to try and sell it to people that aren’t looking for it? You walk around Perth and see no mention of St Johnstone.

What are the club doing to engage with schools? What about the college / uni thing which is literally 2 mins along the road? What about any of the towns and villages north or Perth? 

Ross’ replacement seems to be an imposter as there’s been zero original or exciting content since he started. We’ve had some shoutouts to sponsors on twitter, a really shite #decadeofachievement thing (can’t really call it a marketing campaign or anything as it was really bad), a magazine (which would have been a shit idea 10/15 years ago) and nothing more than the usual post match interviews and a few ill-informed articles. Does this guy actually have any ideas? What is his marketing background? Is his creative freedom being restricted (I doubt this since Ross was so innovative).

Engagement on social media is huge, we have 27k people “Like” the club on Facebook. 33k followers on Twitter. 7k followers on Instagram. What are we doing to entice these people to engage with the club? f**k all. Our social media game is boring and predictable. In Tony Watt we have a guy who is very active on social media and interacts with fans of our club, other clubs, players etc. Surely there’s plenty of things we can be doing there! 

The people who run the club have got completely complacent and it seems there’s nobody with any fresh or positive ideas since Ross left. The cost of getting one or two people in who can run marketing campaigns, create exciting online content, increase engagement must be minuscule in comparison to the playing budget. 

Bit of a rant here but f**k me it’s infuriating to see the amount of missed opportunity by our club and the blame lying with lapsed fans or apathy of people from Perth when there’s f**k all being done by St Johnstone. (Out with our exciting new magazine!)

3 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

A very minor point but McDiarmid is also a bit of a pain to get to with no decent pubs around.

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

There’s nothing to do around McDiarmid and the area doesn’t inspire. It’s at least a 40 minute walk from the city centre and there’s no pubs to drop into along the way. Bit of pilgrimage really.

I agree with this. It was always fairly dull in terms of lack of pubs/ cafes around, but now they have built that road, cut all the trees down and are developing the area across the bypass, it's a horrible busy part of town. The stadium is like an island with cars surrounding it.  Although not a lot to do round about McDiarmid, it used to at least feel a welcoming place with good views out to the west, but now thats completely gone and its like one of those new grounds in an industrial park.  (This is not really relevant to the lack of crowd chat, just a general observation).

For the players having to train at the back of the East Stand, it must feel like they're in a zoo with all the traffic passing by staring at them. I hope the club re-plant loads of trees round the site to enclose it a bit.

At the back of the farm on the hill above the training pitches, there's a decent sized bit of ground that's all overgrown with bushes etc, that I thought would be a good location for the club to attempt to buy and develop as a supporters area. Nothing too fancy, just a covered area and places for supporters to sit; pop up food/ coffee/ beer stalls. Just to provide something in the area for pre-match that didn't have to make money through the week but the club would benefit from on a matchday.

I think we can all agree on my amazing idea here. What we need to do is sell all the land at McDiarmid to a supermarket or other developer, then get the city hall for free off the council, knock it down and build a resplendent city centre stadium in its place. Get the town and the cafe quarter absolutely buzzing for the Super Js. Pre match pints and nibbles in Monterrey Jacks; post match karaoke in Half a Tanner.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade
Brown and blacks is shite and for wankers

8 hours ago, Goran said:

Have Motherwells crowds risen since they went full social media crazy?

They have "content" almost daily, have a young group of "ultras" etc. Been in two cup finals lately..

I genuinely don't think the crowds have risen at all.

This problem is not unique to Saints. Spending millions to put in pubs or spending every waking hour tweeting, isn't going to get fans to the ground. 

Main reasons people stop going are moving to a different city for their job, moving to go to Uni, or starting a family. All three are almost impossible to prevent, and three see people slowly lose interest in attending football full stop, and no matter what you won't get them back (until they move back/kids grow up).

We started with a small base and lose these type of people yearly, only way to combat it is to get the next generation to come before they reach these stages too. The club have a Junior club where players visit, have table football in the family stand with players going in there, offer the chance to be a mascot for free etc.

Like it or not, but spending time trying to attract folk over 30 isn't he priority. 

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have Motherwells crowds risen since they went full social media crazy?

They have "content" almost daily, have a young group of "ultras" etc. Been in two cup finals lately..

I genuinely don't think the crowds have risen at all.

This problem is not unique to Saints. Spending millions to put in pubs or spending every waking hour tweeting, isn't going to get fans to the ground. 

Main reasons people stop going are moving to a different city for their job, moving to go to Uni, or starting a family. All three are almost impossible to prevent, and three see people slowly lose interest in attending football full stop, and no matter what you won't get them back (until they move back/kids grow up).

We started with a small base and lose these type of people yearly, only way to combat it is to get the next generation to come before they reach these stages too. The club have a Junior club where players visit, have table football in the family stand with players going in there, offer the chance to be a mascot for free etc.

Like it or not, but spending time trying to attract folk over 30 isn't he priority. 

It's not quite the same thing as saying "our crowds have increased" but IIRC our season tickets were 4k this season, which is the highest they've been in years. Then again you might tag that on being a natural result of getting to two cup finals last year.

FWIW: our average crowd was almost exactly the same when we finished 3rd (with Rangers still in the league) in 11/12 (5946) as it was in 06/07 when we finished 10th under Malpas (5877). That kind of puts the idea that having a 'successful' team on the park bumps crowds into context.

Having said that, our average in 16/17 was apparently 4450. Last year (17/18) it was apparently 5687.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

It's not quite the same thing as saying "our crowds have increased" but IIRC our season tickets were 4k this season, which is the highest they've been in years. Then again you might tag that on being a natural result of getting to two cup finals last year.

FWIW: our average crowd was almost exactly the same when we finished 3rd (with Rangers still in the league) in 11/12 (5946) as it was in 06/07 when we finished 10th under Malpas (5877). That kind of puts the idea that having a 'successful' team on the park bumps crowds.

Having said that, our average in 16/17 was apparently 4450. Last year (17/18) it was apparently 5687.

How do you lot advertise/sell season tickets?

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How do you lot advertise/sell season tickets?

We've recently started using an online platform for ST sales via Ticketmaster so as weird as it may sound there could have been a bit of a novelty factor in terms of the new platform driving early renewals.

Generally the 'campaign' is online driven across all social media.

Tbh Grant Russell who heads up our comms dept. did an episode of the MFC Podcast at the start of the season and details the whole approach to branding etc far better than I can. If you're particularly interested you should be able to give it a listen here: https://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2018-19-episode-4/

Here are a few news stories from the official site re: ST sales. The 'renew your season ticket now' link is the one that really sets out our stall.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/05/09/renew-your-season-ticket-now/

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/05/30/strong-uptake-in-season-tickets/

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/06/18/season-ticket-sales-up-13/

Here's this year's trailer:

Edited by capt_oats

It’s a very Perth thing.  Nothing in Perth is good enough for them, everything is in Perth shite, when in reality its simply not. 

Just you wait.  Regardless of what you think about brewdog, its clearly a successful ‘trendy’ business that is a bit of a coup for the City.  I give it a week and it will ‘not be as good as Dundee, Inverness, Edinburgh etc etc, Perth’s fucked up again’

Perth public simply do not support things on their doorstep

7 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

It’s a very Perth thing.  Nothing in Perth is good enough for them, everything is in Perth shite, when in reality its simply not. 

Just you wait.  Regardless of what you think about brewdog, its clearly a successful ‘trendy’ business that is a bit of a coup for the City.  I give it a week and it will ‘not be as good as Dundee, Inverness, Edinburgh etc etc, Perth’s fucked up again’

Perth public simply do not support things on their doorstep

Brewdog is shite, it's a shite chain selling shite drink for wankers. HTH.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was a slog. Aberdeen game was amazing, aye, but you've picked out six games from a 45 game season there, the vast majority of games are some of the worst I've ever witnessed. I vaguely remember a run of four or five games where we averaged one shot on target per match.

Was in September. 

2-0 loss to Dundee, 0 shots on target.

2-1 loss to ICT, 1 shot on target which was a penalty.

2-0  to United, 1 shot on target.

2-1 loss to St Mirren, 1 shot on target.

That's consecutive games.

It was dire stuff, and easily forgettable.

That's a poor month, not a "fucking dreadful season".  

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:

That's a poor month, not a "fucking dreadful season".  

I highlighted that month as an example, there were plenty of games that went the same route as far as I can remember.

O'Halloran and Graham both had wee purple patches where they won us games on their own.

We've recently started using an online platform for ST sales via Ticketmaster so as weird as it may sound there could have been a bit of a novelty factor in terms of the new platform driving early renewals.
Generally the 'campaign' is online driven across all social media.
Tbh Grant Russell who heads up our comms dept. did an episode of the MFC Podcast at the start of the season and details the whole approach to branding etc far better than I can. If you're particularly interested you should be able to give it a listen here: https://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2018-19-episode-4/
Here are a few news stories from the official site re: ST sales. The 'renew your season ticket now' link is the one that really sets out our stall.
https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/05/09/renew-your-season-ticket-now/
https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/05/30/strong-uptake-in-season-tickets/
https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/06/18/season-ticket-sales-up-13/
Here's this year's trailer:

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
I’ll have a look at it later on :)

Random has a point but it was clumsily put.

The season after the cup win was undoubtedly good given where we ended up.

But the entertainment was pretty much zero with a bit of a dour feeling about the place.

The team lost its swagger with the loss of May and Brown was almost making a stubborn point, " We've won a cup and got some prize money? The fans will expect some spending? I'm in charge and I'll show them!"

Rumors about TW being talked out of resignation and players in the paper complaining about the lack of signings etc. 

There were staff at McD complaining about how the cup win was a massive missed opportunity.

We had Swanson in the second half of that season and (QOS cup-tie aside) he was brilliant and raised the entertainment value.  We're St Johnstone and play in the SPFL where giant centre-backs are allowed to pull, push and kick entertainers all over the park.  We never have and never will play like Barcelona.

Random said people citing the price as a "shite excuse" - it's not nearly such a shite excuse as using the season after the cup win as a reason for not attending four years later.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I agree with this. It was always fairly dull in terms of lack of pubs/ cafes around, but now they have built that road, cut all the trees down and are developing the area across the bypass, it's a horrible busy part of town. The stadium is like an island with cars surrounding it.  Although not a lot to do round about McDiarmid, it used to at least feel a welcoming place with good views out to the west, but now thats completely gone and its like one of those new grounds in an industrial park.  (This is not really relevant to the lack of crowd chat, just a general observation).

For the players having to train at the back of the East Stand, it must feel like they're in a zoo with all the traffic passing by staring at them. I hope the club re-plant loads of trees round the site to enclose it a bit.

At the back of the farm on the hill above the training pitches, there's a decent sized bit of ground that's all overgrown with bushes etc, that I thought would be a good location for the club to attempt to buy and develop as a supporters area. Nothing too fancy, just a covered area and places for supporters to sit; pop up food/ coffee/ beer stalls. Just to provide something in the area for pre-match that didn't have to make money through the week but the club would benefit from on a matchday.

What like a kind of rustic outdoors Muirton Suite on a hill ??

9 minutes ago, The Marly said:

We never have and never will play like Barcelona.

Wasn’t there Saturday type post.