Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Two things:

1) Are we likely to see either of our two new CM’s play today given the lack of box to box ones we had without Murray?
2) Am I the only one still cautious that we won’t actually get Swanson and someone else will hijack the offer with a much bigger wage?

It sounds like formalities with Swanson have been agreed. Just the paperwork to be signed.

Ideally that’ll be done this morning before the squad departs for Hamilton.

Classic @RandomGuy. here. Spent last season convincing everyone that average age didn't matter; this season will be spent bragging about low average age of squad.

Don't know much about Callachan but fair to say he's more Paton than Millar? Depending on Nydam, this will be my only tinge of disappointment from this window, that we don't have a proper replacement for such an important player.

Well done to the club on Swanson though. You can't pass up the opportunity to sign a player of his quality. I suspect we're the only club he'd have torn up his deal at Hibs for.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

Classic @RandomGuy.

Don't know much about Callachan but fair to say he's more Paton than Millar? 

Love you too Radders :wub:

And yes, he's effectively the player Paul Paton would be if Paul Paton could run. Playnaking duties in that position now entirely on Nydam. Swanson playing Central might help 

I suppose we now enter a new phase of attitude. We'll be moving from the dour, plucky, little over achievers that Tommy works wonders to get the best out of to, for us, an expensive attack minded squad that'll be expected to win, entertain and bring bigger crowds in.  New pressures. Who knows if it'll work but looks like it'll be fun finding out.  It's great there's such a positive buzz being generated again.

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Don't know much about Callachan but fair to say he's more Paton than Millar? Depending on Nydam, this will be my only tinge of disappointment from this window, that we don't have a proper replacement for such an important player.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And yes, he's effectively the player Paul Paton would be if Paul Paton could run. Playnaking duties in that position now entirely on Nydam. Swanson playing Central might help 

I've seen Callachan play against us, though I can't say I've really noticed him too much. But taking a look at his Hearts goals from last season in the wee video 7-2 put on the Accies match thread for today, I'd say he has a lot more football and mobility about him than i saw from 18 months of watching Paton. Possibly doesn't have as good a sliding tackle though?

Im fine with two energetic, mobile, possibly more defensive minded centre midfielders who are capable of keeping us playing with a simple pass.  Get plenty of the ball to the front 4 and we will reek havoc.

Our squad is ridiculous! The bench will be incredibly strong most weeks.

The young lads will be forced out the picture a bit, so hopefully we get McLean and McCann loaned out to get them game time.

A starting eleven of 

Clark, Foster, Shaughnessy, Kerr, Tanser, Callachan, Davidson, Wright, Kennedy, Swanson, Watt

would leave a bench/ out the squad of

Mitchell, Gordon, Anderson, Nydam, Craig, Alston, Wotherspoon, Scougall, Kane, McMillan, Easton

Is there still to be a wee move of cancelling a player or two's contract in the next few days so they can sign for someone else?

Was Steve Maclean on £20,000 a week or something?  Are we gambling on getting far bigger crowds by dipping into our savings and signing a squad packed full of quality?  I absolutely love it, but I'm a bit bemused by it all.