Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

From what I've been told, out of the young players on loan/breaking through only a couple will survive to make it into the first team, one defender, one midfielder. The hope is there for others but it's not materialising at the moment. That's not to say it won't happen,  just looks that way atm.

Presumably the two are Denham and Ballantyne?

My concern is if we lose the likes of Melamed in the summer, will we be able to replace those goals, never mind find someone who'll score more?

Especially right now our budget is going to be extremely tight due to the fact fan return is still an unknown.

I think it's 5 league goals but he's scored those in half the number of games the likes of May has played. We can't go into next season relying on the likes of Rooney to produce the same goals tally. 

When things have gone badly this season it's because we've struggled to score goals. The manager needs to be very careful not to be to fixated on "hard work" being the main requirement of all our strikers as it's been shown more often than not the hard work isn't enough to win games. If we go into next season with Kane and May are out main goal "threats" we could well end up seeing our lack of home goals become a reoccurring theme. 

For what it's worth, Melamed will not be at Saints next season. Regularly hauled off after an hour and still unable to hold down a spot in the team even after scoring etc. 

Kane has done well this season but his finishing is astonishingly poor and it simply has to improve if he's going to get the alleged money increase he's asking for. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

35 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

My concern is if we lose the likes of Melamed in the summer, will we be able to replace those goals, never mind find someone who'll score more?

Especially right now our budget is going to be extremely tight due to the fact fan return is still an unknown.

I think it's 5 league goals but he's scored those in half the number of games the likes of May has played.

In the last 12 months, how many goals do you think May has scored, per minute, while playing in a front two?

Kane has gone back to being an effective nuasance who doesn't look like scoring, even when presented with a sitter. I think there were insinuations previously that he was holding the club to ransom a bit in respect of his new contract. If that's still the case, then I'm not sure he's justifying that with his current form. I obviously want him to stay, but no goals in 12 now I think it is, he's back to where he was previously.

Edited by Kyle

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

In the last 12 months, how many goals do you think May has scored, per minute, while playing in a front two?

Not going to work it out per minute in a front 2 as I'd need to spend hours going back confirming the formation at specific times of the goal and... Just not doing that. 

5 league goals though and not a single one goal in nearly 4 months isn't a reliable goal scorer. Especially when you're looking at the relevance of a front two the pens are irrelevant as well.

Far from it, I've not written anyone off who isn't away or not been god enough for some time. Nothing I've mentioned in my post is something new that hasn't been discussed to death on here. It's well established we need a new goalkeeper and at least 1 striker capable of scoring as a first choice. It's the same old story at home though, we've scored 1 open play goal at home all season, that's approaching unforgivable territory and if fans had been in the stadium god knows how that would have been received. 
What I've posted isn't some reactionary nonsense, it's founded on the results and performances this season. We can't just look at the recent form and the cup win in isolation, a campaign is judged on its entirety and for me there's plenty to work on and improve on. I've had the same argument on WAP, why should we accept "ok" as a standard just because we know the players. We should always be striving (within our means) to get better and have better players who'll move on for cash, or propel us up a place or two.
As for not supporting McCann, my comments were based on his recent performances which haven't been up to the incredibly high standard he's set himself. At no point do I slag him off or say he should be getting dropped. It was a comment about his recent games and a question of whether he needs a break since he's played football non-stop for the last 2 seasons. 
So please before you jump in with both feet trying to insinuate something which clearly isn't there, at least read the post and make comments appropriate to it. 
I did read the post. A lot of it was very fair. One or two bits are a bit OTT in my opinion. I'm not sure dropping McCann is warranted.

From what I've been told, out of the young players on loan/breaking through only a couple will survive to make it into the first team, one defender, one midfielder. The hope is there for others but it's not materialising at the moment. That's not to say it won't happen,  just looks that way atm.
Denham and Ballantyne would be my guess.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:
4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Denham and Ballantyne would be my guess.

I know for a fact that Alex Ferguson is highly rated by coaching staff 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Five of them have been against Brechin & Peterhead if you are including that in your per minute statistic.  He can't keep falling back on this not playing in a front two thing, we sometimes play with one, we sometimes don't, that's how it is.  Strikers need to at least look like they might score a goal.  It pains me to say it but he never does.  The semi final goals are trending today and the contrast with the player then and now couldn't be starker.  I know there are reasons for that of course.  

On another matter, I know our goal record at home has been abysmal but this one goal from open play in the league chat isn't right is it?  May v St.Mirren, Kane v St.Mirren, McNamara v Kilmarnock, Rooney v Celtic, Middelton v Ross County off the top of my head were all from open play?

41 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I know for a fact that Alex Ferguson is highly rated by coaching staff 

They're all highly rated or they wouldn't be there. There are lots of variables even after them impressing the coaching staff and loan clubs.

I'd hope that a few others make it as well tbh as I have connections to a couple who don't play in the positions I mentioned.

43 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Five of them have been against Brechin & Peterhead if you are including that in your per minute statistic.  He can't keep falling back on this not playing in a front two thing, we sometimes play with one, we sometimes don't, that's how it is.  Strikers need to at least look like they might score a goal.  It pains me to say it but he never does.  The semi final goals are trending today and the contrast with the player then and now couldn't be starker.  I know there are reasons for that of course.  

On another matter, I know our goal record at home has been abysmal but this one goal from open play in the league chat isn't right is it?  May v St.Mirren, Kane v St.Mirren, McNamara v Kilmarnock, Rooney v Celtic, Middelton v Ross County off the top of my head were all from open play?

May hasn't been value for money this season, I'm just curious about the idea he can't score goals and Melamed can, when both seem reliant on playing in a front two, and only one has really had that chance. May was plenty clinical last season in a two with Hendry.

The "one open play goal" is while playing a lone striker at home.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Screenshot_20210413-185423_Drive.jpg.e655f35c397b749a8794f826645f2f16.jpg

Apparently the prize money distribution (apologies if the photo is massive, I'm on my phone).

Reaching the top half massive financially, especially if we could get up to 5th. Apparently winning the Betfed brought prize money of £300k too.

Also, Davidson at Dunfermline v Dundee 👀

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 12/04/2021 at 11:06, RandomGuy. said:

I think I'm in the minority who thinks we could get an upgrade on Rooney, tbh...

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, Davidson at Dunfermline v Dundee 👀

Comrie coming home? 😉

Had no idea how fucking abysmal the "attack" was in 2000/01, and 01/02 btw, too young to really notice.

Was Lowndes injured in 00/01? Seems to have barely played yet been dangerous when he did.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Had no idea how fucking abysmal the "attack" was in 2000/01, and 01/02 btw, too young to really notice.

Was Lowndes injured in 00/01? Seems to have barely played yet been dangerous when he did.

Yeah. I'm sure he was.