Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Zander was a shambles yesterday. In a tight game where we're not playing well you're looking for a goalkeeper to be solid and dependable to instil confidence when the opposition are getting on top.  Instead he might have sown panic throughout the team the way he was going, looking like he'd never seen a football before for a 15 minute spell.

Hes had some great moments, the penalties v Dunfermline, spectacular save from a Watson's header up in Dingwall, even the penalty  save yesterday, but he can be so erratic. You compare it to the Dundee keeper who controlled his box well and was reliable in dealing with crosses.  

We got away with it, but I hope Davidson is at least aware of the need to bring in someone to challenge for the starting position.

Zander was a shambles yesterday. In a tight game where we're not playing well you're looking for a goalkeeper to be solid and dependable to instil confidence when the opposition are getting on top.  Instead he might have sown panic throughout the team the way he was going, looking like he'd never seen a football before for a 15 minute spell.
Hes had some great moments, the penalties v Dunfermline, spectacular save from a Watson's header up in Dingwall, even the penalty  save yesterday, but he can be so erratic. You compare it to the Dundee keeper who controlled his box well and was reliable in dealing with crosses.  
We got away with it, but I hope Davidson is at least aware of the need to bring in someone to challenge for the starting position.
Not just challenge imo, we need someone to come in and start next season. I have said it all season, I just don't trust him. He is glued to his line and is appalling at commanding his area.

There was a free kick for Dundee yesterday where he was almost in the stand he was so deep. Any touch and it's a goal as he refuses to come off his line - even when he does and punches you can tell he hates doing it.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Clyde at home in the next round.

Then Celtic or Rangers after that.

Got to knock them out, so better early on rather than the Final...

We should've beaten Celtic at least once this season, probably twice tbh, so obviously you're looking at them. Them getting their hopes up with Howe scudding out Rangers, only for diddy wee Saints to rock up and shitfest a 1-0 win seems plausible as an offering to the football gods.

It's one of those. Focus on Clyde, if we then do as we should and get through then whichever of the two we play as long as we turn up, give them a game and don't just go out with a whimper (Scott Brown 20 yarder 🤦‍♂️ etc) like we did a few years ago at Celtic Park I'll be reasonably happy.

If we do play like we're capable, on the day you never know (as Clyde will also be saying about playing us). 

Great fourth round draw, followed by worst fifth round one. We play Rangers at home on the Wednesday night between the rounds too. 

My views on the goalkeeper are well known. I keep reseting and giving him a fresh start but it's never more than a few weeks before he has another major blunder. I appreciate the idea of backing players but the excuses for him elsewhere help nobody. It doesn't matter at all that the goal was disallowed, for example. And that decision making for the penalty. 

We NEED a new goalkeeper and a good manager will recognise that.

One of my major issues with Clark is how quickly his head goes out it after he's made a mistake. IMO he doesn't come charging out at the penalty if he hadn't fucked up earlier in the game.

Seems to get stuck in a cycle until the defence can settle him by refusing to allow any shots. 

Davidson hasn't been afraid to drop folk, so I'd be disappointed if he didn't try and replace Clark this Summer. 

What I thought was most ridiculous about Clark's performance yesterday is that when he makes a mistake, he looks to try and get in an argument with anyone even if it's his own team to take the heat off what he's just done. Don't know if this is the norm, but the faux hard man act was a bit much after he'd just fucked up.

Was/is Parish legitimately poorer than what was on display yesterday?!

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What I thought was most ridiculous about Clark's performance yesterday is that when he makes a mistake, he looks to try and get in an argument with anyone even if it's his own team to take the heat off what he's just done. Don't know if this is the norm, but the faux hard man act was a bit much after he'd just fucked up.

Even by Clark’s standards yesterday was a shocker, he’d actually been a lot steadier of late. He’s got a higher ceiling than Parish but a lower floor than me...

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Its pretty common to see him start screaming at himself after papping a goal kick straight out the park, so yeah, it's a common theme.

Parish is just planted to his line constantly, which causes all sorts of problems. Our game against Killie where they caused us all sorts of problems by hitting long balls, as Parish was always stood on his line and never sweeping up, was a real low point. His main skill seems to be disguising the fact he was at fault for the goal tbh.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems to get stuck in a cycle until the defence can settle him by refusing to allow any shots. 

That's the thing, folk will say "lOok aT tHE cLeaN shEEts" as some sort of positive. The clean sheets are usually because the opposition haven't had a shot on target. 

5 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

You rather sadly appear to labouring under the misapprehension that I give even the slightest of fucks about you or your question lad 

“Lad” you young whippersnapper? Show some respect for your elders. (And if you don’t give even the slightest of f*cks about me or my question, why did you reply?)

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

“Lad” you young whippersnapper? Show some respect for your elders. (And if you don’t give even the slightest of f*cks about me or my question, why did you reply?)

You’re supposed to be sheep shaggers rather than sea lions lad.