Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

He was our starting striker for most of the season, started excellent but then went off the boil. I'm pretty sure he turned down a good offer from Saints and then announced he'd be off at the end of his 1 year deal.  I don't think he played again after that.

Im not aware of any specific fall out, though others more in the know than me might have a different story, just when he showed he wasn't committed to the cause Tommy sidelined him.

What was the script with Watt and Wright at yous? Heard a few people make it out as if there was some massive bust up but given he played 30 odd games for St Johnstone it doesn't seem like that's entirely the case. Fwiw he's been our best player this season so if Wright does come in it would probably be beneficial if they could form some sort of working relationship.

I don’t know about the relationship but I do know that Watt appeared lazy and hardly troubled opposing defences. 29 games and 2 goals yet loads of people are slagging Chris Kane 🤣

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

What was the script with Watt and Wright at yous? Heard a few people make it out as if there was some massive bust up but given he played 30 odd games for St Johnstone it doesn't seem like that's entirely the case. Fwiw he's been our best player this season so if Wright does come in it would probably be beneficial if they could form some sort of working relationship.

Watt vanished around late December/January from memory, and there were rumours he wasn't even at training for a spell at the end of the season.

Hard to know what's true and what's not but it tied up with rumours he'd rejected a new deal.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Watt vanished around late December/January from memory, and there were rumours he wasn't even at training for a spell at the end of the season.

Hard to know what's true and what's not but it tied up with rumours he'd rejected a new deal.

Do you mean literally disappeared or just performances dropping off? Soccerbase has him playing regularly up until the end of March

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

If my memory is correct he ducked out of heading an equalizer against Celtic at the Celtic end🤣! and allegedly some of our backroom staff were not too impressed with this act! he was next seen at the end of the year awards where he received a fans award for some obscure feat!

He was still selected as a sub at the very end of March but was rarely used.  He'd been out of form for a while and was pretty lazy and uncommitted in his latter appearances.  Think his announcement he'd be away pushed him further out the picture.

Was a waste, as he'd looked like a really capable front player in his first few months, though never a prolific scorer.

Think this is how it's gone at most of his clubs; starts out motivated and looking good, but he doesn't sustain it then struggles to recapture that form and looks like he's not that bothered about being there.

Would take him right now though!

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

He was still selected as a sub at the very end of March but was rarely used.  He'd been out of form for a while and was pretty lazy and uncommitted in his latter appearances.  Think his announcement he'd be away pushed him further out the picture.

Was a waste, as he'd looked like a really capable front player in his first few months, though never a prolific scorer.

Think this is how it's gone at most of his clubs; starts out motivated and looking good, but he doesn't sustain it then struggles to recapture that form and looks like he's not that bothered about being there.

Would take him right now though!

Clearly that's the sort of thing that's stuck with him through his career but honestly he's been excellent for us since he signed back in February.

He arrived and was largely out of shape but he's put in the graft. We could definitely have a wee moan about him missing some chances but overall his attitude's been absolutely spot on and looks in decent shape. It's not saying much but he's consistently been one of our best players and again, not saying much but he's our top scorer in all competitions.

Absolutely none of that changes his time at Saints of course.

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Do you mean literally disappeared or just performances dropping off? Soccerbase has him playing regularly up until the end of March

I thought he was out of the starting line up and rarely on the bench, but thats just my, shit, memory.

I just remember being seething we'd found ourselves in a situation with Chris Kane as our main striker for half a season.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Clearly that's the sort of thing that's stuck with him through his career but honestly he's been excellent for us since he signed back in February.

He arrived and was largely out of shape but he's put in the graft. We could definitely have a wee moan about him missing some chances but overall his attitude's been absolutely spot on and looks in decent shape. It's not saying much but he's consistently been one of our best players and again, not saying much but he's our top scorer in all competitions.

It's not that surprising at all to be honest, on his day he was a very good player.  If he can be kept fit and motivated I think he's one of the best front players in the league outwith the OF in terms of his all round game.  You still need someone alongside to take up the slack in terms of goalscoring.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

You're basically describing him at Saints too. 

For most part despite reputation could not question his effort. At times didn't contribute much in games but the effort was always generally there. 

Was able to occasionally score an important goal, winner in a turgid freezing game set for 0-0 against St. Mirren comes to mind and unlike most of our attacking players now as a fan you'd at least fancy him to score a chance as he had some conviction in his own ability.

As a Saints fan moaning about him missing a chance occasionally beats moaning at our current crop of forward players missing every chance now. 

Watt missed a lot of simple chances, and spent the rest of his time mucking about with the ball outside the box.

That was fine when Matty Kennedy was scoring every 2nd week, but got worse the further we went on into the season. 

5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

It would be like if your wife left you and then you saw them in the street a year later with an ugly runt of a man. 

Or a very beautiful woman. Because she decided she preferred the opposite sex after living with you....

1 minute ago, Center half said:

The youngster at Montrose as well i believe, he has put Scotland's next big thing Harry  Cochrane to shame apparently!  

Think Ballantyne could contribute, to some degree, this season tbh.

Getting fresh, energetic, players in about the squad might make some difference.

Will tell you later on when got more time. But if TW gets the job, I'd expect Watt to be unhappy