Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

Thing is, where is he gonna go? I don't see a life-changing move back to England being offered up and the options in Scotland don't jump out at you. 

He's scored 14 goals in 2020 (in 30 games) so at that scoring rate, before you add everything else he brings, he's worth his money.

Plenty of clubs could increase his pay packet and he’s probably got one or maybe two big contracts left in him. I’d prefer to get an extension sorted now rather than taking the risk in January and beyond to be honest, certainly with the way he’s played. 

Edited by Kyle

May’s just got married and I think has just had a kid. He’s settled in the area. He’s done down south before and with the wage cap coming in next season, that “big” contract would be in League 1 most likely where it’s barely going to be worth it. He’ll sign again I’ve no doubts about it, once again saints is the team that gets the best out of him, like it has been with many players past and present. 

Mays settled, it would take a life changing wage, or Broon massively lowballing him, to see him leave.

Only starter I reckon will leave will be Tanser.

I've only seen it twice, but I thought Griffiths impeded Clark for the goal. He doesn't touch him, but he's exactly where Clark is headed. I don't know enough about goalkeeping to tell if Clark pulls back because of him being there, would be interesting to hear what Clark would say.

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

The goal was a bit like the Accies one that came off the shoulder. Clark almost anticipates it as being a proper effort and is in the air too early rather than moving his feet. He'll get caned for it on the old xSv but he had a decent game and has been a lot more solid in recent weeks. Getting better all the time with his feet too. Hopefully playing himself back into some form. 

You'll be pleased to know I've started a database for goalkeeper 16/17-20/21. 

Hes just outside the 800 min limit for this season, but last season he comes out ranked 9th out of the 15 keepers who played over 800 mins...

Can change as I add more seasons in though, only got 19/20, 20/21 so far.

16 minutes ago, Widge said:

May’s just got married and I think has just had a kid. He’s settled in the area. He’s done down south before and with the wage cap coming in next season, that “big” contract would be in League 1 most likely where it’s barely going to be worth it. He’ll sign again I’ve no doubts about it, once again saints is the team that gets the best out of him, like it has been with many players past and present. 

Was thinking the same as he did indeed welcome a mini May into the world recently.

I think if he was thinking about the the money above all else he'd have either seen out his deal at Aberdeen or signed for Dundee instead of coming back to Saints when he did. 

Let's just hope he no longer employes Vine...

I don't think the 'he's settled, it'll be fine' argument really flies after the last couple of summers. 

Watt, Shaughnessy, Kennedy and Wright all came out in the press in November/December time saying they were desperate to stay, wanting contract talks to start etc before leaving the club in the January or the summer because they either weren't offered a deal in time or their heads were turned by better offers elsewhere.

If you have a form player and you're coming towards the January window and there's not even talk of an extension being discussed, you're playing with fire. May has a greater connection with the club, no doubt, but he's shown twice before that he'll walk away from talks if offers aren't right.

8 minutes ago, The Marly said:
12 hours ago, Costanza said:
Clark to blame for that goal today or is that being pretty harsh?

Being extremely harsh.

Agree, it was a freak goal that was clearly supposed to be a flick-on. 

Zander was really good yesterday, whole team were. Hope that we don't suffer later in the season from those yellow cards. Kane's was particularly bad, was barely a foul, and I've no idea what McNamara's was for. 

Big 3 games coming up before the Sevco game. 3 victories in very winnable games and we're into the top 6 and last 4 in the league cup. 

Maybe this is a daft question, but is there any word on half season ticket availability? In particular the student one, as you can only buy those for a half season at a time (or I think that's what I did back in August). The website allows you to buy one, but it isn't clear if it's for the second half of the season, or when it starts. Ta!

Edited by Mr Heliums

Zander was really good yesterday, whole team were. Hope that we don't suffer later in the season from those yellow cards. Kane's was particularly bad, was barely a foul, and I've no idea what McNamara's was for. 
Big 3 games coming up before the Sevco game. 3 victories in very winnable games and we're into the top 6 and last 4 in the league cup. 
McNamara was booked for a late tackle where the ref played advantage and then Liam Craig fouled another Tim. Ref booked Liam and went back and booked Danny. Was deserved tbf.

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:
37 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

McNamara was booked for a late tackle where the ref played advantage and then Liam Craig fouled another Tim. Ref booked Liam and went back and booked Danny. Was deserved tbf.

Yeah I saw Craig's but Danny's  passed me by. Wasn't disputing it, I just didn't see it at the time.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

You're as good as your last game. Right now Zander is very good.

Hes actually come out of it not too badly tbf.

17/18 apparently worse than last season though 🤔 conceded more he shouldn't have done then, whereas last season he just faced a fuckload of shots every match.

Hes actually come out of it not too badly tbf.
17/18 apparently worse than last season though [emoji848] conceded more he shouldn't have done then, whereas last season he just faced a fuckload of shots every match.
I don't think he's perfect by a long shot, but could we get better on our budget? We could land lucky and get a Hladky I suppose but how often does that happen? Zander is a decent keeper for our level.

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Maybe this is a daft question, but is there any word on half season ticket availability? In particular the student one, as you can only buy those for a half season at a time (or I think that's what I did back in August). The website allows you to buy one, but it isn't clear if it's for the second half of the season, or when it starts. Ta!

not seen anything... (not that that's a helpful insight in any way)

But... with my IT hat on I'd think the site SHOULD work like normal renewals, enter the code and renew that way like the renewals worked this year but if I take the IT hat off and put the Saints fan hat on instead I imagine  its more than likely they've forgotten about this fact completely so if you don't contact them you'll hear nothing about it at all. Renewing a season tickets in Dec is quite niche as well so they might have bothered developing it into the new online system as well.  

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've only seen it twice, but I thought Griffiths impeded Clark for the goal. He doesn't touch him, but he's exactly where Clark is headed. I don't know enough about goalkeeping to tell if Clark pulls back because of him being there, would be interesting to hear what Clark would say.

Griffiths was also about a yard offside when the ball was flicked on.

12 minutes ago, Girth said:

Just came to say your keeper looks very solid...can we have him please? Swap for Flapjack?

Thank you. 

He has his moments as well! Nothing quite like Mr J Hamilton though 😐 He wont be no1 for much longer anyway. 

Clarks strong at blocking the shots when either reachable with his feet or hands at a good height. Clear weakness (IMO) with shows that are along the ground. Struggles to get both down and dive quickly enough but i guess at our level a goal keeper is never going to be perfect in all aspects. 

Fair comments about Clark at the goal. Did think I was being harsh when thought he was at fault, definitely unconscious bias coming into play there and was just annoying not to have won due to a freak goal like that. We can all agree better to have him in there than Parish though. Cue Random’s database revealing Parish is actually the second coming of Gianluigi Buffon or something.......