Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

30 minutes ago, Widge said:

if he gets called up then you're as well seeing if Kerr has any Irish heritage as the chances of ever getting an international cap are virtually zero.  

Agree with this. If Halkett is called up it's beyond clear that it's something ideological and nothing to do with performance or potential. 

Does our manager not have anyone's ear given his links with the national setup?

16 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Agree with this. If Halkett is called up it's beyond clear that it's something ideological and nothing to do with performance or potential. 

I’d bet good money that if he wasn’t crocked (again) John Souttar would have been in the squad. That’s despite him having spent the last two years alternately being injured or being part of the worst defence in the Premiership over that period.

If Saints pick up a bit of form before the next set of fixtures, and if Scotland remain in a similar position injury/personnel wise Kerr should certainly be right up there in contention. I’m not sure I’d have the entire Hibs back line or Considine - and certainly not Halkett - ahead of Kerr in the Saints side anyway...

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

It almost certainly is ideological.

In our case there was a tipping point of sorts when McGhee kicked off about Cadden being omitted from the u21s: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-cadden-called-up-scotland-8724400

Since then, as lame as it probably seems from the outside, the club have been actively lobbying and promoting Motherwell players for international recognition. We tried it with Tait but fell a bit short but regardless of whether it was effectively a 'B' squad Cadden got his full caps, Gallagher's got his call up and played games (would that have happened if Tommy Wright had convinced him to sign for you guys and had been playing at the same level as he has for us?).

We've consistently had players getting called up at u21 level. We've currently got Campbell, Maguire and Morrison away at the moment while Turnbull and Scott had caps prior to them moving on.

It's a very different situation compared to what it was like before McGhee piped up and the club started consciously promoting the players.

Edited by capt_oats

We had a sort of kick off when Kerr was omitted from a Scotland u21 squad having been very good for them in the previous games. He was told he was too old and they were looking ahead to the next campaign - but then they called up players older than him.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/712039/jason-kerr-scotland-under-21-explanation-doesnt-stack-up/

There was an interview with Kerr a few weeks back with him talking up his own chances but I doubt it’ll come to anything.

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It almost certainly is ideological.

In our case there was a tipping point of sorts when McGhee kicked off about Cadden being omitted from the u21s: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-cadden-called-up-scotland-8724400

Since then, as lame as it probably seems from the outside, the club have been actively lobbying and promoting Motherwell players for international recognition. We tried it with Tait but fell a bit short but regardless of whether it was effectively a 'B' squad Cadden got his full caps, Gallagher's got his call up and played games (would that have happened if Tommy Wright had convinced him to sign for you guys and had been playing at the same level as he has for us?).

We've consistently had players getting called up at u21 level. We've currently got Campbell, Maguire and Morrison away at the moment while Turnbull and Scott had caps prior to them moving on.

It's a very different situation compared to what it was like before McGhee piped up and the club started consciously promoting the players.

Definitely something about making a noise publicly helping, and agree on your point about Gallagher. 

The only serious lobbying in recent years for a saints player to be called up was Ricky Forster, and that was himself doing it. 

Although I can see why the club wouldn't bother in that particular case. 

33 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We had a sort of kick off when Kerr was omitted from a Scotland u21 squad having been very good for them in the previous games. He was told he was too old and they were looking ahead to the next campaign - but then they called up players older than him.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/712039/jason-kerr-scotland-under-21-explanation-doesnt-stack-up/

There was an interview with Kerr a few weeks back with him talking up his own chances but I doubt it’ll come to anything.

And there was also the condescending dismissal of Clark because of the horsing we took off Celtic on the opening day last year. Can't remember the details but it spoke volumes. 

To be clear, I don't think Zander Clark should be our national team goalkeeper.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

And there was also the condescending dismissal of Clark because of the horsing we took off Celtic on the opening day last year. Can't remember the details but it spoke volumes. 
I think it should be remembered Jack Hamilton was capped in front of Clark. There was a complete dearth of Scottish keepers at the time.

3 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

November 2018.

Clark has just gone 5 games without conceding a single goal, and only 7 conceded in 11 non-OF games, and the Scotland squad was down to just Allan McGregor as a recognised GK in the squad.

Scotland called up Scott Bain (4 league appearances in 13 months), and Jamie MacDonald (32yo with no International experience) ahead of him. 

Peter Grant explained the decision to ignore Clark thusly...

“A couple of weeks ago, St Johnstone lost six goals to Celtic and James Forrest got four and they were crucifying the goalkeeper."

Clark won Man of the Match in the game against Celtic, and it widely accepted the defence was far more to blame for the scoreline. 

No other reason to call up a player who'd barely played for a year/absolute no hope diddy who had no future at that level, other than Clark conceded a lot against Celtic, in a game they clearly didn't watch. Grant, charged with watching potential players for McLeish, had spent that weekend getting free comp tickets to watch his son play in League One.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Is there a reason why Saints haven't posted the highlights of Saturday's match (apart from those weird unenjoyable ones with strange angles and background music)? Given the nature of the victory, I'm a bit surprised.  I'm not satisfied with the 'one goal at a time' videos they're posting either. I'm a simple man. I want simple highlights.

Edited by The Real Saints

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Is there a reason why Saints haven't posted the highlights of Saturday's match (apart from those weird unenjoyable ones with strange angles and background music)? Given the nature of the victory, I'm a bit surprised.  I'm not satisfied with the 'one goal at a time' videos they're posting either. I'm a simple man. I want simple highlights.

Yes

Just to add to my previous post, I do appreciate the efforts and technical talents of the Saints media team. The little highlights video with music is very well done, but it's something which I feel should be posted in addition to actual straightforward highlights rather than being the only 'full highlight' video which has been posted thus far. I shall send my thoughts to Ross.

Totally agree, those clips are not what we need.

2 minutes ago, akuram said:

Totally agree, those clips are not what we need.

I'm not sure they can post "normal" highlights, as ridiculous as that sounds. Dont think they've done it all season and a quick scrounge shows other clubs also just showing alternative highlights, or full match replays.

Maybe something to do with PPV?

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

If that's from any kind of official source I'm not sure it should be posted on a public forum tbh.

Its just a random website, on the St Mirren thread, can't be arsed copying/pasting.